4 Wide Racing (1 Viewer)

4 wide is not Drag Racing, its NHRA version of NASCAR... (No Turns):rolleyes:

I think of it more like the Monster Trucks when they do that freestyle "competition" thing. At that point its only about a show. 4 wide seems more like a booked in novelty act, I suppose there is a place for it as an exhibition (I admit, I wouldn't mind seeing 4 Jets)

Think about this. I used to spend airfare for two, rental car for 4 days, motel room for 4 nights. breakfast and dinner for 2 away from the track, tickets for all 3 days for both of us, lunch and drinks at the track and misc expenses while there. That stopped with 4 wide and we quit going to Vegas for the races also.

Once we quit going to those races we also seemed to lose interest in Houston, Dallas, Denver and Topeka. Come to think of it Pomona is the only place we go now and we used to make 10 or 12 each year. 4 wide seemed to suck away my interest in attending in person even if it wasn't 4 wide.

How much did that take out of the economy?

Hey John,

Just curious, why did you quit attending all the other races? I understand that you don't care for 4-wide, but I don't get why you stopped completely.

Just as example, as a NASCAR fan, if I hated road course racing, that wouldn't stop me from going to the night race at Bristol. And I'm not bagging on you, I'm just wondering.

Alan

The following year they did it for eliminations and it was rumored for Vegas so I cancelled our reservations for both races. Just seemed after that I gradually lost interest in going. I sometimes record eliminations and watch the nitro portions. Never been much of a fan of anything except nitro although I admire the technology and skill required to run pro stock.

After racing everything from the slowest door car possible to AA/FD I sold my last race car last year and have very little desire to participate at any level although I think I could get interested in a nostalgia funny car. I never raced the last car I built.

I enjoy the reunion and nostalgia events I've attended but the current "show" no longer does much for me. I still attend Pomona occassionally but mostly to see old friends I used to race with.

I think the 4 wide made me realize how far NHRA drag racing has drifted from its roots that I enjoyed doing and watching.

Great question. I had never considered why and the question made me give it some thought.

EDIT..BTW I'm not being critical of NHRA for changing. I understand that things have to change in response to a changing environment but it's just not what I enjoy.

Last edited:
I understand that some don't care for 4-wide, and thats fine. But why the call to do away with it?? Loads of folks don't care for P/S, but no one is saying drop the class. :confused:

I understand that some don't care for 4-wide, and thats fine. But why the call to do away with it?? Loads of folks don't care for P/S, but no one is saying drop the class. :confused:

Because you can escape P/S while attending the races but to escape 4-wide you have to stay away from all pro sessions. Might as well not attend..see my previous post.

I agree, if you don't care for it do not attend. But don't take it away from those of us that like it. Afterall there are TWO races at that same track, so it's not like you have to give up yer only close Natl. event.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back