4 Wide SUCKS (1 Viewer)

4 wide SUCKS

1. Hagan has to run in that lane 2
2. What happened to Erica was the biggest crock, and I don't even like pro-stock.
3. Have to listen to the wife all day saying it sucks!

Word is Hagan laid down a great pass today testing go figure.

1: Everybody had to run in lane 2 in one of the sessions. Hagen also had a chance to run in lanes 1, 3, and 4.

2: What was the crock? She was runner-up, she was awarded runner up. Yes there was a bit of confusion, but the result was correct.

3: Can't help you there.........

Alan

Mark, I think you've got it. One car raceing towards another. Reaction times would be who veered away last. The stands would be packed. Teams would spend very little on a car, that very well might be destroyed, there goes the argument about raceing costing to much. It would also allow new guys and gals comeing up through the ranks, to make a quicker trip of it. Driver salaries would skyrocket. It would produce new jobs. It's a win, win deal. Please accept this thread , as it was intended. Tongue in cheek. How about this-traxxas cars-crash test dummies. I know what you all are thinking- this guy is a crash test dummy.

You could tell they were doing a bit of tap dancing between rounds to stretch it to 3 hours. While I normally don't mind the 3 hour show (I record it, zip the commercials, drops it to about 2 h 15 min or so) this particular show did seem to drag.

I think for wide is something that needs to be experienced in person. It simply DOES NOT translate to TV at all, IMHO.

That's my biggest concern. 4 Wide is simply not enjoyable on TV....that's just the way it is and always will be. Being there on the other hand, I'm sure is pretty awesome...from a sensory standpoint. I could only imagine how the pro stock races are.

I'm 97% a TV fan, as I don't attend races regularly. So NHRA racing on TV needs to be viewable. 4 Wide is not TV friendly. So I'm pretty upset about that.

1: Everybody had to run in lane 2 in one of the sessions. Hagen also had a chance to run in lanes 1, 3, and 4.

2: What was the crock? She was runner-up, she was awarded runner up. Yes there was a bit of confusion, but the result was correct.

3: Can't help you there.........

Alan

Alan,

1. Ya I know just would like to stay away from it. It does not like him
2. First loser is never good, just hated she got her spirits up because of the confusion
3. Its the only one I needed help with, ha!

thanks

Nascar fan friend of mine watched it yesterday and loved it. Said the idea of having 2 winners made it more exciting...It might be great in person but I still find it hard to watch on TV...Maybe when you are use to Nascar 4 cars is easy:confused:

TV sucks, but then it sucks with 2-wide. But, if you are down track at 700 or 800 feet, it's the baddest show you'll ever watch

Sounds like O. Bruton Smith could have saved a ton of money by just building grandstands from 700 to 800 feet, too bad nobody told him.

yup...it sucks...only thing that I can see being interesting is hearing 4 instead of 2, but visually, intellectually, it waters it all down...as if these things aren't exciting enough....Fuel Gulping Fire Spitting Ultimate Mr Toad Wild Rides....

4-wide is basically the jet car/wheel stander fans wet dream....they can't get into the actual sport (it's as much the engineering and pit action as it is the actual run itself).....so they take what is a truly visceral sport, and can't help but stick a sparkler up it's ass to make it "better"...

ZMax dragway - Our finishline line is ten feet lower than our starting line....yes Virginia, you can buy NHRA records

Last edited:
I've done it in person and on TV. Just don't like it.
The sound and feel in person was cool but nobody ever had a clue what happened.

Put up $100k and make it an exhibiton race.

Nascar fan friend of mine watched it yesterday and loved it.

The WHOLE reason for this crap... To get people that have no understanding of the sport to start supporting the NHRA. Not Drag Racing, NHRA Racing...

Whats next the NHRA merges with NASCRAP?

Or is it the new softer NHRA where no team is left behind and everyone is a winner... :rolleyes:

I heard that one of the main reasons for four wide at Vegas was to have options for clean up time for live TV, there was a lot of talk from racers about how to keep up with tuning two different sets of lanes, didn't hear too much about how to safely clean up one side while the other side was running, maybe that was part of the reason not to try back then

A little change can be good. It's not really that different, they still start from a dead stop, they go straght. It's just double the cars.

I think it should be an exhibition event like the Invitational at Rockingham back in the day OR Like the All Stars that happens at the OTHER Track ;) on the Park.

But Also NHRA wants to get in bed with Bruton, and Sorry that doesn't cut the mustard.

But Also NHRA wants to get in bed with Bruton, and Sorry that doesn't cut the mustard.

It is good business to be in business with Bruton. EVERYONE that is in business with him makes money. Bruton is a billionaire for a reason. Also, he has the best facilities on the tour, and his facilities account for 25% of your schedule and he has invested more in Drag Racing in the last 15 years than anyone else by building 2 facilities from scratch and completely remodelling/upgrading the other 2 ... that is bound to draw some water in Glendora (as it should IMO).

I would love for him to build a Vegas-type facility at Kentucky Motor Speedway ... My parents live about 20 minutes from that track.

PS it wasn't that long ago everyone was begging for Bruton to buy NHRA and now everyone is upset because Bruton gets his way and uses his facility to it's maximum capability once a year? I am not a big fan of 4 wide, but I have no heartburn with it as a one-off event ... especially if it keeps Bruton in the NHRA's corner.

It is good business to be in business with Bruton. EVERYONE that is in business with him makes money. Bruton is a billionaire for a reason. Also, he has the best facilities on the tour, and his facilities account for 25% of your schedule and he has invested more in Drag Racing in the last 15 years than anyone else by building 2 facilities from scratch and completely remodelling/upgrading the other 2 ... that is bound to draw some water in Glendora (as it should IMO).

I would love for him to build a Vegas-type facility at Kentucky Motor Speedway ... My parents live about 20 minutes from that track.

PS it wasn't that long ago everyone was begging for Bruton to buy NHRA and now everyone is upset because Bruton gets his way and uses his facility to it's maximum capability once a year? I am not a big fan of 4 wide, but I have no heartburn with it as a one-off event ... especially if it keeps Bruton in the NHRA's corner.
This is a very good post, Chris. He has by far the best racing facilities that I have ever seen.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back