4-wide and "tradition." (1 Viewer)

HEMI6point1

Nitro Member
The Las Vegas 4 thread got me thinking.

Guys, the SEASON hasn't started yet. Let's wait to see what happens, shall we? I for one can't wait to watch 32,000hp at once - why the fuss?

I know, some say "tradition."

Well tradition was lost when 1,000ft came along. Tradition was lost when sponsors replaced nicknames on cars. Tradition was lost when funny cars became wedges with logos instead of looking like real cars. Tradition was lost when the cost to run a top fuel car exceeded the pay rate of some corporate CEO's. Tradition was lost when drivers could be kicked out of their seat just before or after a race because another guy/girl came to the team owner with more cash.

Now this isn't a "to hell with tradition" thing. To be honest 4-wide racing isn't even a new concept - there are plenty of pictures and video to prove it.
Things change, it's just the nature of the beast.

I'm of the opinion that 4-wide racing will be much more impressive in person than on TV. When they played with it at last years race, it didn't make that much of an impact on me, but I remember later in the day when people who were there checked in here. They reported that hearing 4 fuel motors hit at the green at the same time was pretty awe inspiring.

"Back in the day" booked in 4 wide racing for A/FX and Pro Stocks really wasn't that unusual, and as Samuel notes, is amply recorded in pictoral history.

At DRO, Jeff Burk noted that he's in favor of this (Toward the bottom.), because it will shorten the race day. That's a typical reaction from a press correspondent who's been to a LOT of these over the years and wants to get home early. I've read plenty of missives from baseball writers pleading with MLB to shorten the game for the same reason.

For me? I don't get to NEARLY as many of these races as I'd like, thank you, and want my (significant) investment's worth.

ill be in charlotte and im looking forward to seeing how this goes down... i really hope it works and i can say 30 years from now that i was at the inaugaral race

I'm not a fan of the 4-wide project.
The only way I would be in favor of it would be when you would have super-large car counts...and we all know that's not happening right now.

I want to watch 2 cars at a time, not trying to divide my time with 4 over a 4 second period. :mad: and I'm sure they aren't going to cut my ticket price in half ;)

oops..wrote mine before reading above link :p

I must be missing something here. What does 4-wide have to do with ticket price???
They used to run 8 seconds...now they run 4 seconds...did tickets go half price??? NOT.

I must be missing something here. What does 4-wide have to do with ticket price???

Zap, I think the concern is that with 4-wide, you're going to see "less racing". I wasn't trying real hard to understand how the 4-wide pairings would work out, but it sounds like there'd by one less round of racing and the event would wrap up by around 3:30.

They used to run 8 seconds...now they run 4 seconds...did tickets go half price??? NOT.

Well of course tickets haven't been cut in half. If anything, they've steadily gone up in price, thanks to inflation. So with that argument, you could say drag racing has been like everything else...you pay more and get less.;)

The Las Vegas 4 thread got me thinking.

Guys, the SEASON hasn't started yet. Let's wait to see what happens, shall we? I for one can't wait to watch 32,000hp at once - why the fuss?

I know, some say "tradition."

Well tradition was lost when 1,000ft came along. Tradition was lost when sponsors replaced nicknames on cars. Tradition was lost when funny cars became wedges with logos instead of looking like real cars. Tradition was lost when the cost to run a top fuel car exceeded the pay rate of some corporate CEO's. Tradition was lost when drivers could be kicked out of their seat just before or after a race because another guy/girl came to the team owner with more cash.

Now this isn't a "to hell with tradition" thing. To be honest 4-wide racing isn't even a new concept - there are plenty of pictures and video to prove it.
Things change, it's just the nature of the beast.

Tradition was also lost when Nighttime qualifying became a form of "good luck" if the schedule isn't shuffled around and there's a lot of time spent so the Fuelers can start running while the sun sets. And only a few exceptions (Bristol, Denver)

as force always says it's about the fans/show and money
aint bout racing anymore:cool:

In Bama

I as you probably already know do not like the 4 lane as i have posted. But I will after reading your posts about "tradition" will give you your props. You are right sponsors and the money and the drivers and the corp, world have taken over and took the "dition" out of tradition. Still don't like the 4 lanes concept but totally agree with your post. Thanks for reading my point with an open mind, yours made just as much if not more sense than mine. (With the exception of my grammar which a teacher pointed out to me.) Open mind's!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Taylor, thats whats so nice about forums like this. We can agree to disagree. Nothing wrong with a friendly civil discussion. There were good points and concerns made both for and against.

No one knows yet "IF" or "HOW WELL" this will work. Years from now we may look back and say "Great thing" or maybe "What were they thinking??"

Only time will tell.

Oh, and don't worry about grammar or spelling, I've always said it's what your saying, that counts...not how you say it.

I'm not sure how I feel about four-wide racing yet, but as a few have already stated, I haven't seen it live - I can only imagine what 32,000 horsepower sounds like. That said, I'm certainly willing to give it a try, both from a fans persepctive and from a corporate perspective.

From a fans persepctive I may find that I actually enjoy four-wide racing, time will tell.

From a corporate perspective we may find that more sponsors are interested in Drag Racing because of this effort, again, time will tell.

A lot has been made of the hope for increased car counts, but I submit that a consideration for double elimination in the Pro-Ranks is more probable. Lets face it, NASCAR has provisionals, why can't we have a double elimination ladder? More rounds of racing for the sponsors product to be displayed, no necessity for increased car count to increase the amount of laps, and the opportunity for one helluva final round if it pits a driver from the losers bracket against the driver who beat them the first time they met. I'll likely get blasted for this idea, but since we're discussing changes in tradition, why not?

I am trying to plan a trip for the four wide nationals. Any local knowledge on where to stay, eat or visit? Are there any secrets on cheap flights (fly in somewhere other than Charlotte and drive...etc.)? What is the weather like there that time of year?

Any and all help appreciated!! :)

I am trying to plan a trip for the four wide nationals. Any local knowledge on where to stay, eat or visit? Are there any secrets on cheap flights (fly in somewhere other than Charlotte and drive...etc.)? What is the weather like there that time of year?

Mel, there are plenty of places to stay literally within blocks of the track. There are places to eat all around as well. The Charlotte airport is only about a 25 minute drive from the track. zMax is the most populated area i've ever seen a drag strip. Usually they're pretty isolated from any towns, but not in this case. But i guess you can get away with it in a race heavy area like that. If you are into NASCAR there alot of lot of shops and facilities that offer tours also in the area.

Mel, there are plenty of places to stay literally within blocks of the track. There are places to eat all around as well. The Charlotte airport is only about a 25 minute drive from the track. zMax is the most populated area i've ever seen a drag strip. Usually they're pretty isolated from any towns, but not in this case. But i guess you can get away with it in a race heavy area like that. If you are into NASCAR there alot of lot of shops and facilities that offer tours also in the area.

Thanks Mike
That makes feel better about the options. Average temps for the area around time of races seem to be in the 60's for highs. Does that sound about right?

Mel,
If you're into camping, like I am, Charlotte Motor Speedway's camping grounds are another good option. They've got some nice lots for a good price (about $125 for the weekend for a standard lot). This would put you very close to the dragway, and there are bath houses right across the street. Late March in North Carolina should make for some great camping weather!!!

Four wide equals 2 rounds of eliminations... so MAYBE 2 1/2 hours of fuel racing...including between round tear down. Not for me...

4 wide is NOTHING more than a freak show, There is plenty of terrible things that can and HAVE happened with TWO cars. 4.?????. sooner or later it's gonna be trouble.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back