Knee Jerk Reaction to Pheonix Race (1 Viewer)

...and on the audiocast, the announcers kept saying how Charlie Allen is continuously improving the track. Graham Light got on there and thanked him for 25 great years.

Reading some of the "Fireturd" stories on here, why is there a gap between the two versions?

...and on the audiocast, the announcers kept saying how Charlie Allen is continuously improving the track. Graham Light got on there and thanked him for 25 great years.

Reading some of the "Fireturd" stories on here, why is there a gap between the two versions?

Because this is a message board full of negative thinking people with nothing better to do than post. The longer shut off was a great improvement, I think.

One thing I liked is how Mike Neff's interviews are more like a crew chief than a sponsor spewing bobble head.

Mike's knowledge of the race car will make him an even better driver because he knows the car better than a typical driver, except for Del Worsham, Jim Head and Gary Densham who are on even par with him. And to hear him give the technical side in interviews (maybe to the chagrin of the Force brain trust) was refreshing.

When he was unable to dissengage the clutch to back after his burnout in the final he didn't need someone on the radio to tell him "If the clutch linkage is broke..."

RG

You can add Robert Hight to that list....;)

Getting back to one of the original (or nearly so, anyway) thoughts, I had actually noticed that Mike Dunn had developed a habit of saying "1/8th mile speed" rather than "1/2 track speed." I don't know why I noticed it, but I do remember thinking to myself, "yeah, that's not 1/2 track anymore, but it is still 1/8th mile."

Did anyone else notice that KJ almost got a track worker while backing up for another stab at the burnout?:eek:

I'll bet that guy made certain they were done before moving out there after that!!

I wouldn't expect them to hop on the mic and bash the guy and his place. never been there. I imagine the truth is somewhere in the middle

As for the Shoe/Dixon deal. Haven't they won the last 7 or 8 championships? With the countdown not drawing the excitement they wanted they need to develope it somewhere. Creating rivalries is one way to do that. Why not with these two. On paper it would seem like they would be 2 of if not the two cars to beat (again on paper). The backstory with AJ leaving Shoe and Dixon joining him does make it interesting. Nothing wrong with them trying to make something with it. Granted neither of these two are really outward rivalry types in that you'll never hear either one make any trash talk comment towards the other. (Where's Fuller when you need him?)

As long as they don't ignore the rest or completely over push it then its all good. OF course here's hoping Antron and Doug K keep getting further ahead and hopefully Hillary can get out there soon too.

I was curious, since Pomona was a washout and not a good barometer, how was the crowd? With the economy in the toilet, I was wondering if the attendance was weak or not.

The Friday crowd was really small on the pit side. A whole lot of empty seats. They also have a lot of high school students on Friday so without them it would of looked worse. The crowd on Saturday wasn't bad but the Sunday crowd was close to last year. I heard from two Nitro Mall trailers that they sold out of event shirts.

Because this is a message board full of negative thinking people with nothing better to do than post. The longer shut off was a great improvement, I think.

I beg to differ. The longer shutoff was great to see. But it was probably mandated by NHRA, and not that expensive when the next building/fence/road is miles away.

Maybe the track is good for the racers, I haven't raced there. But for the fans, the place is a hole. I've been to National events at a 6 tracks, and Firebird is the worst. It's not even close. The place looks like the last serious maintenance was in the 70s, with peeling paint, barely functional bathrooms, rotting, splintery bleachers, and so on. Parking is terrible and it takes hours to get in or out, they never seem to have enough people.

I thought it was neat having John Medlin phone in to Neff.
Also, I had to rewind my DVR because I thought Paul had called Doug "Scott" and sure enough he did. I about nearly choked!

You had to go into the gutter didn't you?
Good call, I should have thought that out better before I posted.
Men/venus Woman/mars--something like that.
all in fun lori:) She is a very pretty lady and very nice too. When i watch the fuel cars on the line i also crouch down. I look at the tire and how the car reacts. It can be very educational. Plus it also puts you in the same height as many of the drivers sit. Its easier for me to visualize what the driver is doing.

That was cool and four less times I had to push the mute button.

i like listening to zippy to boys. Especially his semi finals interview when he said he was slowing down the car, but it ran that amazing 4.03. Hey tony...check out those incrementals....i do not think that was a 4.03 folks. Another wire loose in the timing system again?

i do not think that was a 4.03 folks. Another wire loose in the timing system again?

Naw i think it's right.....especially if you look at Del's increments from the next run with the .06....he was about .035 slower to the 1/8 but was goin about 4mph faster and ended up about .030 slower at 1000ft

I don't think you're going to see a Tony Schumacher/Larry Dixon "feud" of any kind because those two guys are both too smart to be drawn into anything as juvenile as that.

Maybe it's good "show business," but it's just not appropos the types of personaltites involved. They'd have to go to the "actors' studio" and study for a long time to make it look anything but phony, because people with above-average IQ's (and, I'd bet both of these guys qualify) just are not inclined to act that way, on camera, or off...

As popular as "feuds" between top drivers are with the fans, I just don't see that happening with these two.

Time will tell; I've been wrong before...:eek:

Last edited:
I would like to comment on the crowd and attendance in PHX. After Pomona, which was extremely hard to gauge due to the rain, cold, Tuesday finals etc, I too, was curious as to how the attendance would be this year. Friday, I have to admit, I was scared. I noticed the sparse crowd on Friday nights session as we were pulling to the line and was thinking to myself, "It's true!, the economy is going to effect attendance this year, just like NASCAR."

But let me tell you, SATURDAY, my fears were laid to rest as it was wall to wall people in the pits, Manufacturer's Midway and the stands seemed to be filled as well. I realize Firebird isn't the biggest venue we go to, but I have to say I was pleased by the Saturday/Sunday crowd and still believe that NHRA offers a good value for your entertainment dollar.

As for Charlie Allen and his re-investment in the track, he has 4 years remaining on the lease of the property from the Indian Council and is negotiating to extend that lease for another long term deal. I doubt he spends a lot of money on the place until he has another long term commitment in place.

>snip<They'd have to go to the "actors' studio" and study for a long time to make it look anything but phony, because people with above-average IQ's (and, I'd bet both of these guys qualify) just are not inclined to act that way, on camera, or off...>snip<

I'm with you on this Bill. I honestly can't imagine Larry Dixon having a "feud" with anyone.

I thought the Kalitta dragster made a tremendous improvement. Saturday morning I wasn't feeling to optimistic about him racing Sunday. They had 3 failed qualifying attempts, then finally punched through to #8 with an .89, then went .84 & .88 on Sunday. So despite the round 2 curtain call for DK, the team should be happy with what they overcame.

While I get why the are pushing the rivarly, neither of these guys are outwardly rivarly types. Tony would at least get annoyed and say something to/about Fuller once in awhile. But Larry just doesn't seem like the type.

Personally I love some good natured (or even not so good natured) trash talk and ribbing. Someone put me in a car, I'll make it must see TV then :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back