Rickie Smith to have knee surgery after crash at Bristol (1 Viewer)

KING, NC (June 19, 2011) – Rickie Smith has ran more passes at the Bristol’s Thunder Valley Dragway than any other drag racer in history, the veteran racer would have never thought the outcome for this past weekend’s race would have happened.

After taking his new sponsor, Industrial Distribution Group (IDG) to their first race of the season, Smith got a different ending than he was expecting.

During the second qualifying session for the Get Screened America Pro Mod Challenge Series, Smith was on an incredible pass; however after slightly getting out of the groove, then hitting the tunnel bump, Smith went head on into the wall.

Smith felt himself get out of the groove, so he pushed the clutch in and pulled the parachutes. Even with him getting out of the throttle early, Smith still managed to qualify in the fourth spot with a 6.006 et at 224.92 mph.

After crossing the finish line Smith’s IDG Camaro shot straight across the track into the right wall. Smith was then taken to the hospital for examination of his left leg.

The result is a left tibial plateau fracture. His knee is fractured and displaced. The swelling of his knee is so bad; he will have to wait till it goes down to have surgery, which should be early in the week.

“I am honestly just frustrated,” said Rickie Smith. “I couldn’t even tell you the last time I have wrecked. It’s no fun.”

“The car just got out of the groove a bit to the left, and before I could correct it, I hit the tunnel bump and it shot dead right. I hate that Farber was there and I’m glad he is okay.”

Smith has sent his IDG Camaro back to Jerry Bickel Race Shops to see what can be salvaged and if it can be fixed. During the meantime, Smith will have a long process in recovery of his knee. Looks to be around three months.

“I am definitely in some pain. Would have never thought that something like this would hurt so bad. Seems like things were finally starting to go in the right direction and now we have a major set back. We will do all we can to get back out there by Indy.”

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back