Driver Personalities (1 Viewer)

Terry

When RG Jr and David G, started doing play by play for those not getting the audiocast... both Ray and me had less than 500 post... since we stopped, I think I've got about 200 more....

Yeah, It was fun... but at times things got a little.... out of hand...

other things came up and Maybe this Fall.... Shooters for 4.45 or better at Richmond Kids? and a 4.599 or better Flopper??? or a 6.499 PS?

This year, again, We'll be in a mineshaft.... and the track will be better on the top end.... oh by the way, I'll be at Richmond, So maybe Alan will let me use his puter????

Anybody remember after a big fire Chuck Etchells showed up with Chuck "Roast" Etchells on the windows of his funny car? Nothing like making a little fun of your own misfortunes to gain some fan loyalty. Ol' Chuck was quite a racer!

After following the Hot Rod/Whit thread, it reminded me about something I have thought for a while. Let me know if I'm alone on this. While sponsors are the lifeblood of this sport, it seems like we have finally reached the point where drivers individual personalities have completely disappeared from public view, except in cases like the Bazemore incident(s). Not that I'm a Whit fan, far from it. I remember when he started driving the Fast Orange car and I really wanted to see him do good, it was such a great story of perserverance and effort, but then one thing after another turned me away. No big deal, you aren't gonna like everybody. But even when he started, not so long ago, you still saw glimpses of a drivers personality on the car in the way of the cars name, or a drivers nickname. This sport has had a great string of drivers and personalities over the years, and most all are identified by a great nickname or on-track persona. I knew that age was over when Force took the "Brute" out of his name on his car. I would have loved to see Robert, Eric and Ashley continue this tradition, as I think that team has the influence to bring this trend back. I really believe that if the drivers could find a way to still show some personality other than the usual PR speech, it would pay dividends in more fan loyalty. Just remember what it did for the Snake vs. Mongoose days. I like the fact that most all drivers appear to get along, I just think if there was some way to get some personal identity to show through, the sport would benefit. Even if its as small a deal as Skuza trying to work the "Secret" word from his crew into an interview. Sure was fun listening to him try to work "Aardvark" or "Buffalo" into his top end interview. Anyway, my rant is over. If you don't think I'm crazy, let's start a trend to give out nicknames to drivers again and get some personalities showing that are not sponsor issued.

People Hate Whit Bazemore for the very reason I like him. He says what he thinks, Period! Everyone gets so offended all the time, and when we do get a driver who speks his mind he catchs holy Hell for it!

Has anyone noticed something important here?

You’re all talking, regardless of viewpoint, about the very same thing: That outspoken drivers with ”real” personalities not only generate publicity, they enhance the sport’s popularity.

Nicknames alone don’t and won’t get it done. It has to be the whole package.

Gerald McDornan’s explanation of the V8 Supercar situation, which I was very much aware of, is enlightening and, if NHRA were paying attention, might provide them with a pretty darn good lesson plan: Turn the drivers loose, encourage on-camera “honesty,” get over whatever little insults that might result, and let’s get the sport actually moving forward.

As much as I detest suggesting this, where would the WWF/WWE or whatever the heck they’re calling that orchestrated activity called “wrestling” be without the outrageousness of its participants?

Anyone who thinks the pure physicality of wrestling would have done it alone is more naïve than even I can fathom.

Jon Asher

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back