The big Go - Big deal? (1 Viewer)

We haven't raced there since 2008, but with all the hype of the BIG GO, have they even bothered to fix the pot holes on the return road yet? It's really cool to bottom out and have your headers hit if you don't zig and zag just right to avoid them (notice PLURAL).

just wondering :) (btw--Indy is on our schedule for 2012, so if no one knows the answer, we'll find out then) :)

I could go on, but then you might all think I'm a buzz kill.................:D

As far as I'm concerned, the only people who think Indy is just another race are (A) those who haven't been there and (B) those who are only interested in blowers and nitro. Just sayin'.

I've been there 5 of the last 7 years and it's no different than Joliet. The exception being the 50th race in 2004 and the cacklefest. However I think they even did one of those at Joliet too.

Last edited:
As far as I'm concerned, the only people who think Indy is just another race are (A) those who haven't been there and (B) those who are only interested in blowers and nitro. Just sayin'.

(A) I went one year and want to go back but Labor day is a busy time of the year for my job. I go to at least 2 National events every year but all of the events I been to combined do not equal to that 2004 Indy.
(B) I went just to watch Stock/Superstock class and the Hemi shoot out. If I can get my junk to run .8 under the index, I will try and go next year and hopefully win class, work will just have to wait.

Just sayin' you couldn't be more wrong.

I've been to Indy for the US Nationals eight times, nope didn't make it every year, the last one was the 50th, I am a west coaster. My favorite part of the US Nationals is still the SS/AHemi Shootout, no blowers - no nitro.

The Big Bud Shootout, US Tobacco Shootouts, special events helped to make the US Nationals special, but they are all gone. No big money, no extra points bonus, nothing special.

Now how can you marginalize a contrary opinion to yours? ;)

I am crushed that I missed Indy the last 2 years. I am not sad that I missed Joliet or Norwalk or Bristol. That says enough for me ...

All you have to do is look at Joe Sherwoods pic's thread and you can see what makes Indy...Indy.:)

Indy is Indy and always will be for alot of reasons. Sometimes it's not all about what happens on or at the track. It's about the year that you got to join your favorite driver in the winner's circle. It's about having dinner at a restaurant downtown or Brownsburg, etc., and bumping into a legend of the sport. It's about watching the Top Fool Alcohol Crew build what is always a fitting tribute to display on Monday. Something newer, it's about seeing and touring the shops on Northfield Dr, Southpoint Circle, and Motorsports Way. It's about hanging with the Safety Safari crew at the end of a long day. It's about witnessing the emotion in all of the competitors. It's about meeting up with friends that you only see here and reminiscing about past years and meeting new friends knowing you will only see them here. It's about remembering what has happened in previous years, good and bad, and being grateful that it still is happening.

Is The Big Go @ Indy everything it used to be? No, nothing is. But it is what it is, and I'm glad for that.

Indy is Indy and always will be for alot of reasons. Sometimes it's not all about what happens on or at the track. It's about the year that you got to join your favorite driver in the winner's circle. It's about having dinner at a restaurant downtown or Brownsburg, etc., and bumping into a legend of the sport. It's about watching the Top Fool Alcohol Crew build what is always a fitting tribute to display on Monday. Something newer, it's about seeing and touring the shops on Northfield Dr, Southpoint Circle, and Motorsports Way. It's about hanging with the Safety Safari crew at the end of a long day. It's about witnessing the emotion in all of the competitors. It's about meeting up with friends that you only see here and reminiscing about past years and meeting new friends knowing you will only see them here. It's about remembering what has happened in previous years, good and bad, and being grateful that it still is happening.

Is The Big Go @ Indy everything it used to be? No, nothing is. But it is what it is, and I'm glad for that.

With all due respect, you can do all of the above (except touring the shops) at any event. That's what I'm saying, there's not a whole lot special about this race anymore.

Your post is similar to many in this thread though, the things people are mentioning that make Indy special to them isn't unique to Indy.

Eugene had mentioned the only thing that sticks out in this thread that makes Indy special in that teams save their best parts and best efforts until Indy. But that may only be true for some teams.

have always thought it would be fun to dangle about $3k more than first
round loser's money for the 16th qual. spot.
a very random paycheck for most likely a lesser funded team, especially
an event such as indy with 5 qual. runs to bunch the hitters towards the top.

.....and the winner's checks should be a little more at this event.

How about

-An open Mon-Tues-Wed open nitro test session- with NO test penalties, and 2 out of 3 grudge race on Thursday for those that had a bit of tension built up over the season (M. Lucas vs. S. Langdon maybe? Worth the price of admission with the gloves off...).

-Friday, Saturday, Sunday Pro qualifying- 2 sessions per day- one at night every day.

-Sportsman eliminations determined by the size of the field (big-64+ fields- start qualifying on Thursday, all fields First Round on Saturday)

-EVERY N.H.R.A. Sportsman and Exhibition Class runs with final eliminations on Sunday- if its in the rule book, its a paying eliminator. Wheelie cars running on a ladder- for a Wally.

-32 car Pro Show on Monday. TV wouldn't know the diff, but the butts in the stands would get one helluva show...

Its a chance to make a race FOR THE RACERS... And the true fans of the sport. TV can't tell the difference between the second race of the season and the next to last one- and every one in between, so lets just take one back from the Media Department and make it all about US for a change?

Last edited:
I am crushed that I missed Indy the last 2 years. I am not sad that I missed Joliet or Norwalk or Bristol. That says enough for me ...

Your dad said hi to me too. He was having a good time, and didn't seem to be missing you all that much..... LOL

Alan

the "Big Go" is still a big deal but maybe not as big as it use to be. If I remember right, only 3 of the top 10 cars in top alcohol funny cars were in attendance so the economy might have something to do with it. Also, we are now in an era where it's multi car teams so the same teams hang around for the final just like at every race. There is no longer a cast of characters like the snake, mongoose, garlits, shirley etc. So thats another reason. I didn't know who won until the next day...i totally forgot to look.

But the real issue is the fact that Indy now looks like every other track and the naming rights have been sold to corporate interests so it no longer holds the unique charm it once had.

I bet the late Steve Engel was looking for them when his pro mod went head on into the wall in the shut down area in 2008.. Quite a nice sentiment but impractical.

Also Wrigley field isn't all that it's cracked up to be, and the Cubs never win anything worthwhile. However they still pack the place. It depends on your view of sports. Do you go for a good show, or do you go to become a drunk obnoxious spectator?

In this case, the old standbye of forgive me for my poor memory just will not do. I sincerely apologize to the family, friends, and fans of Steve Engel who might be on the 'Mater for forgetting his accident. I also want to thank you, Dave, for the diligence to correct me and the tact in doing so.
I stand corrected.

Rob Denny

Indy is a big deal because of all of the history that took place there, but I agree that the history is getting dated and stale. We can't keep going back to the same race every year showing the SAME history over and over again. The fan base is younger, the drivers are younger, most do not even know about what happened in the 60's and 70's and the meaning of the race is diminishing every year.

I say give the race importance again. Get THIS GENERATION into it. It's an important race cause history says so, well make it an important race because of double points, or double purses. Make it a race that can make of break a weekend. Indy is just any other race when you dont remember all the history that took place a long time ago.

Dave I think you get my point, over the past 30+ years NHRA has doubled it's schedule. Pretty easy for some to understand why Indy isn't the Prominent race it once was!

Oh I certainly get it.. It went from the only game in town to just another race. The only reason I phased my answer that way is because I don't even know how many races they have now. I lost count.

Indy is a big deal because of all of the history that took place there, but I agree that the history is getting dated and stale. We can't keep going back to the same race every year showing the SAME history over and over again. The fan base is younger, the drivers are younger, most do not even know about what happened in the 60's and 70's and the meaning of the race is diminishing every year.

I say give the race importance again. Get THIS GENERATION into it. It's an important race cause history says so, well make it an important race because of double points, or double purses. Make it a race that can make of break a weekend. Indy is just any other race when you dont remember all the history that took place a long time ago.

How many years will it take to get the Force/Pedregon's countdown controversy into part of the indy history clips?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back