The big Go - Big deal? (1 Viewer)

FC138fan

Nitro Member
Just wondering if anyone else wonders what all the hype about the US Nationals is these days.. I understand back in the day, it was the one event everyone showed up for, so it was a big deal to win it. I see more cars showed up this weekend in the fuel classes anyway, but when it came down to it - it was the same 16 on Monday. And it's no big secret why... more money = more parts = more runs = more data = gigantic advantage.

Why does Indy get the jet dragsters, wheelie cars... why do they get to have 5 qualifying sessions? I guess there must be something to the tradition seeing as how 25% more fuel cars showed up (25TF) compared to Brainerd (20 TF) [numbers may not be exact but Im too lazy to research].

What happens when this generation of drivers retire? I can see the memories Dixon, Bernstein, Force... and so on creating an affinity to this race, but 10 years from now I don't think people will be talking about the 2010, 2011 US Nationals... Theres stories of Garlits shaving his beard, the Muldowney / Kalitta race... and a host of others... I don't think 10 years from now they will be talking about "Man, remember when [insert "big two" driver here] beat [insert "big two" driver here] when he ran that [insert number governed by rev limiters and restrictions here]! That was incredible!"

Trying not to be that negative, but today isn't Indy just another race? I hear there are better tracks out there [Vegas] that would be worth going to over Indy, aside from the extra cars and exhibition stuff..

Also, I am just jealous that Brainerd doesn't get jet cars, wheelie cars, 25 dragsters, full alcohol fields, or any pro mod cars.

I'm with you Nick. Even though I missed Indy this year, I don't understand why Indy is considered so special. Not that I care either. Back in the day, wasn't it worth double the points, double the purse money, etc? On paper, it appears to be the same as any other race except they have an extra qualifying session. It wasn't that long ago they had 6 qualifying sessions. And this year, they had exhibition vehicles for the first time in several years. I'm not trying to be negative, but on the surface, to me, it doesn't hold the luster it once did. That won't stop me from going though next year. I get to hang out with some great friends which means as much to me as the racing action.

I knew this thread would be created at some point. It's a BIG deal to me. It's the biggest race on my motorsports calendar. Not Indy 500, Not Daytona 500, not Knoxville Nationals, not The Dream, not F1 at Monaco.

It's the US Nationals. That's just me.

Indy is a big deal because of the history it holds. Sure the facility may not be up to the standards of other venues, but that is another factor in why it is so special. The feeling I got when I went to my first US Nationals is something I find hard to put into words. Last night I was mega bummed my ESPN3 coverage screwed me over and took the race off the schedule. Now if it was say the Chicago race, Vegas etc, I wouldn't have cared so much. But this is Indy, the whole vibe is different from some of the other events. At least it is to me and going by a lot of the racers comments it still is a big deal!! A lot of people seem to get onto the hype of the more modern venues, yeah they're nice, I'm lucky to live 30 minutes drive from one of the most beautiful facilities in the world. But please, give me the Indy's and Pomona's any day of the week.

Mike.

Last edited:
I'm with you Nick. Even though I missed Indy this year, I don't understand why Indy is considered so special. Not that I care either. Back in the day, wasn't it worth double the points, double the purse money, etc? On paper, it appears to be the same as any other race except they have an extra qualifying session. It wasn't that long ago they had 6 qualifying sessions. And this year, they had exhibition vehicles for the first time in several years. I'm not trying to be negative, but on the surface, to me, it doesn't hold the luster it once did. That won't stop me from going though next year. I get to hang out with some great friends which means as much to me as the racing action.

Quite obviously, you weren't there and will never understand!

Just wondering if anyone else wonders what all the hype about the US Nationals is these days.. I understand back in the day, it was the one event everyone showed up for, so it was a big deal to win it. I see more cars showed up this weekend in the fuel classes anyway, but when it came down to it - it was the same 16 on Monday. And it's no big secret why... more money = more parts = more runs = more data = gigantic advantage.

Why does Indy get the jet dragsters, wheelie cars... why do they get to have 5 qualifying sessions? I guess there must be something to the tradition seeing as how 25% more fuel cars showed up (25TF) compared to Brainerd (20 TF) [numbers may not be exact but Im too lazy to research].

What happens when this generation of drivers retire? I can see the memories Dixon, Bernstein, Force... and so on creating an affinity to this race, but 10 years from now I don't think people will be talking about the 2010, 2011 US Nationals... Theres stories of Garlits shaving his beard, the Muldowney / Kalitta race... and a host of others... I don't think 10 years from now they will be talking about "Man, remember when [insert "big two" driver here] beat [insert "big two" driver here] when he ran that [insert number governed by rev limiters and restrictions here]! That was incredible!"

Trying not to be that negative, but today isn't Indy just another race? I hear there are better tracks out there [Vegas] that would be worth going to over Indy, aside from the extra cars and exhibition stuff..

Also, I am just jealous that Brainerd doesn't get jet cars, wheelie cars, 25 dragsters, full alcohol fields, or any pro mod cars.

Compare attendance figures and you'll see why Brainerd doesn't get the exhibition cars etc. Considering Brainerd is a little out of the way for alot of teams, I was glad to see 19- 20 fuel cars in each pro category. As far as the alcohol fields, it hasn't been the same since about 2005. Brainerd had a better field of alcohol funny cars than Indy did that year. We had Manzo, Payne, Newberry, Moates, Cheeseman and others. It was a stellar field with some really great competition. Alot of the drop off in the "sportsman" ranks is probably due to the increased fuel costs since then. Personally i'd love to see ProMod at all the national events, but unless they get a good series sponsor, we won't see that happen. I'd like to see the suits in Glendora increase ProMod exposure by having some of the cars run as an exhibition at events that don't feature ProMod. Work out a deal with a couple of teams and have 4-8 cars run and show the fans what they're missing. Perhaps an increase in exposure in all the markets would aid in finding more funding to run the series full time.

I have been to a lot of tracks and Natl. Events, but Indy to me is still the Biggest race! I think some take Indy's status as somehow putting their Local race down!

....streets of Monaco....Augusta National golf course....Indy Motor Speedway
Wimbledon....Daytona..... very few sporting venues around the globe still host the same annual event that began 50+ years ago, those that do retain a mystique surrounding the event; ours happens to be the us nats., and the NHRA is lucky to have other venues that follow a close second; pomona, englishtown and arguably gainesville

Last edited:
You had to be there to witness some of the legendary events you read about to understand the significance of this race. The guys racing at the event understand the magnitude of winning Indy and therefor it will always remain "The Big Go".

You are just fooling your selves if you think Clermont is anything other than just another race. There is nothing left of what it used to be.

....streets of Monaco....Augusta National golf course....Indy Motor Speedway
Wimbledon....Daytona..... very few sporting venues around the globe still host the same annual event that began 50+ years ago, those that do retain a mystique surrounding the event; ours happens to be the us nats., and the NHRA is lucky to have other venues that follow a close second; pomona, englishtown and arguably gainesville

Right on!

There is a mystique about the Big Go. The history and tradition are important (especially to the older fan). Attention should be paid.

I'm of two minds as to whether the facility should be updated (ala Bruton Smith) - after all, it IS our premier event - or remain preserved in amber as a testament to the sport's roots. As longs as the track is solid and safe, there's something to be said for tradition.

PS: The Big Go is still on my bucket list.

.....whether the facility should be updated (ala Bruton Smith) - after all, it IS our premier event - or remain preserved in amber as a testament to the sport's roots.

IMO constant improvement to ensure that this 'premiere event' can remain
at Lucas Oil Racway Park.

From a purely practical point of view, there is nothing but an additional day and round of qualifying to distinguish this race from any other. Same points, same teams (except a few more one-timers), same format, same purse, same trophy. There aren't even the "race-within-a-race" add-ons any more. It's just another race.

But as Mike said, so is the Masters, so is Wimbledon, so is Monaco, etc. People want one golf trophy above all others, it's a green jacket. One tennis trophy above all others, it's the cup from the All England Club. And so on. The only real reason is the history of the event. When you list your accomplishments, you'd list a season championship and then a win at Indy, then all the rest.

So, no it's not special. But it is.

I've been fortunate enough to attend Indy twice, albeit back in the late 80's, and I sincerely hope to attend again some day. To me it's still the Big Go; the Nationals; Indy; the Granddaddy of 'em all. As has been mentioned, is it the nicest facility on the tour? No. Is it the newest? No. But it's Indy - it's our Daytona 500, Indy 500, 24 hours of LeMans, etc. I still vividly remember the chills I felt as I first laid eyes on the racing surface - it's almost mystical (if you have any sense of history, anyway).

And it's never been about what's going on today, it's about the history of the event and all it represented back in the sport's developmental years. If you don't believe anyone who posts here on the mater, just go back and listen to Larry Dixon talk about the three day drive to get there just to wait in line on the circle track for another 24 hours just to get in the gate. The reason all those cars that don't show up anywhere else decide to show up at Indy is because... well, it's Indy.

Granted, I would love to see them offer points and a half like they used too - especially if it's the last race where drivers can earn points towards the playoffs - talk about added pressure. (Note: Terry McMillen would be in, even after a 10 point oil down penalty.) And I'd love to see the showdowns/shootouts brought back. But even without all that, it's still the greatest race on the tour and always will be to me.

I've been wondering the same thing for years.
This is DA BIG one.. Yeah, right...

ESPN seems to go out of it's way to overhype this event, and it's not even close to what it used to be. They drag out the sport's golden age drivers for a quick cameo, and then lock them away for another year.

If they want to actually make this race different than say..anywhere, they should actually do something different.
The first thing that comes to mind is doubling the points like it used to be. That'll make it interesting.
Oh wait, they did that already by screwed up the points program by implementing the Count Down to make things more "exciting and interesting".. (yawn)
Maybe return to the 1,340 mark..
Oh wait, they basically castrated the sports tradition by calling a dry hop a drag race..

I don't know, but I do get sick of all of the interviews that try to inflate an otherwise cookie cutter event.

Are so many people showing up because its Indy, or because it is a centrally located track that occurs on labor day weekend where no other races are scheduled (not sure if that last part is true).

Today though, its just a race. Same points, same rules, same track prep, same speeds & times. For the big teams, its business as usual.

Maybe if they made Indy a quarter mile it would be special today. Or somehow leveled the playing field.

have always thought it would be fun to dangle about $3k more than first
round loser's money for the 16th qual. spot.
a very random paycheck for most likely a lesser funded team, especially
an event such as indy with 5 qual. runs to bunch the hitters towards the top.

.....and the winner's checks should be a little more at this event.

Last edited:
I agree with Nick and Mark and the others. Its not what it used to be. Indy is Indy bc of the history there. Plain and simple. Thats it. Other than that, its just another race.

I'd go to atleast 10 other events over Indy.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back