2 hour Pennzoil commercial (1 Viewer)

sdwarf36

Nitro Member
Remember when Fox didn't show burnouts? Now when have back ups--with commercials! This was the first 2 class race I;ve seen. Hated it. At least it was quick to watch after recording + FF thru everything-including side by side commercials!

It sure looks like the balance of power has swung back to Force. Look to Schumacher to fish or cut bait. Either he will buy Grubnic, Corradi and Prock away from Force or look for a much smaller DSR going forward.

Remember when Fox didn't show burnouts? Now when have back ups--with commercials! This was the first 2 class race I;ve seen. Hated it. At least it was quick to watch after recording + FF thru everything-including side by side commercials!
This is not an NHRA or FOX thing so let's not start bashing them because its the thing to do. This seems to be the new TV advertising gimmick across the board in sports ... "Side by Side". I have seen it done now on all 4 major broadcast networks during MLB, NFL, NBA, NASCAR, NCAA Hoops, F1, Indy Car and NHRA. I am sure there are other sports and networks involved but its stuff I am just not watching. Heck they are even doing it on YES Network during Yankee and Nets games (I do know that FOX owns YES). So even some cable networks are in on it.

Guess it is the new advertising tool to get quick bang max. exposure for the sponsors paying big $$ for more air time or smaller sponsors who only want quick drive by exposure and don't need (or want)the traditional full commercial spots. Probably won't go away until the next gimmick comes down the road.

It's been mentioned here before, but the side by sides are an effect of DVR viewing. Keeps people wanting to fast forward through commercial breaks.

It's been mentioned here before, but the side by sides are an effect of DVR viewing. Keeps people wanting to fast forward through commercial breaks.
I started 45 min late and fast forward threw the side by side commercials,so didnt realy affect me much.

It sure looks like the balance of power has swung back to Force. Look to Schumacher to fish or cut bait. Either he will buy Grubnic, Corradi and Prock away from Force or look for a much smaller DSR going forward.
All the teams have peaks and valleys. Don isn't the kind of guy who, if his teams are struggling a bit, starts thinking smaller. Race teams shrink or expand based upon marketing partnerships, more than win streaks.

Have to agree here... it made for a real fast show with the extra FF and the lack of PS.
They also missed the opportunity to show Jordan Vandergriff being a tire wiper for Austin Prock in round 2 for losing the round 1 race bet they made... ;)

Ugh, not this ads with cars on the track crap again. I didn't get to see the show this weekend, but that form of advertising really detracts from the program.

Just curious, but why don't they show Pro Mods or Mountain Motor Pro Stocks or FSS or ....... something, anything, in the absence of Pro Stocks?

Last edited:
Ugh, not this ads with cars on the track crap again. I didn't get to see the show this weekend, but that form of advertising really detracts from the program.

Just curious, but why don't they show Pro Mods or Mountain Motor Pro Stocks or FSS or ....... something, anything, in the absence of Pro Stocks?
I haven't watched it yet, but the NHRA in 60 that aired on FS1 at 6pm est was supposed to include some coverage of other classes.

I wonder what the sponsorship lookout will be for DSR if the Chandler funding of TJ and Beckman goes away after 2020! Tony can't even seem to get a sponsor, leah isn't locked into every event. DSR has alot of work to do to maintain the car counts.

Pro Mod, despite being the stars of the show, are not part of the Mello Yello series. :(

I record it and watch later so i can FF through the BS

It's already known that NHRA pays to have the races shown on FS1. I have a feeling it costs extra to show the races on the "big" Fox network; hence the side by side commercials. Commercials help offset those production costs.
At least it happens during the backing up and final prep before the run, and not during the run.

caught the re-run on fs2 last nite. beautiful day. at least 1/3 empty bleachers. new pavement with a bump. same old story. didn't miss PS or PSB one single bit.
and at end of show robert and courtney were shown fist pumping w/trophies and mello yello bottles on victory stage with the production gal's voice in the background saying 'keep going'......couple seconds later 'keep going'.....about 4 or 5 times her voice repeated this......how contrived.....i have been at top end as cars turn off during qualifying and even 1st and 2nd rounds. when there is no camera, the drivers get out of cars and very quietly remove their helmets and find their ride back to pits. very little conversation. very little smiling. when the camera is nearby, it's a different story. i won't say contrived, let's just say it's interesting to see both sides........on a positive note. i liked how houston raceway installed additional digital signs on the tower that displayed mph and e.t.

I liked the Houston track, and am bummed that it is so bumpy. I wonder if they could laser level the track? I think they have to something, cuz way too stories about the bumps. Hit that bump the wrong way....

caught the re-run on fs2 last nite. beautiful day. at least 1/3 empty bleachers. new pavement with a bump. same old story. didn't miss PS or PSB one single bit.
and at end of show robert and courtney were shown fist pumping w/trophies and mello yello bottles on victory stage with the production gal's voice in the background saying 'keep going'......couple seconds later 'keep going'.....about 4 or 5 times her voice repeated this......how contrived.....i have been at top end as cars turn off during qualifying and even 1st and 2nd rounds. when there is no camera, the drivers get out of cars and very quietly remove their helmets and find their ride back to pits. very little conversation. very little smiling. when the camera is nearby, it's a different story. i won't say contrived, let's just say it's interesting to see both sides........on a positive note. i liked how houston raceway installed additional digital signs on the tower that displayed mph and e.t.
I missed PS and TS

Well I forgot to check my DVR and just got what was shown on FS1 (not Fox) so I watched Denver Supercross instead of Houston (Supercross).

Seth is at the point of improvements to the track (it's really largely in GREAT shape), that he needs to tear up and concrete about 1400' .... then have the best folks in the nation come in and laser grind it.

Fox has nothing to do with what is shown. NHRA does it's own production, Fox just broadcasts it. So any complaints about content should be directed at the NHRA not Fox.https://www.sportsvideo.org/2016/02...-live-on-fox-nhra-brings-production-in-house/

it's got to cost less to produce a nitro only 90 or 120 minute show vs. a 3 hr. show with all 3 or 4 pro categories, plus less cost cuz' you're not buying as much airtime?
if the 6 races this year w/o PS hold attendance and tv ratings steady, i'm gonna' guess PS is not looking very solid for the future......if you're going to empty the bleachers 2 or 3 times per day,
wouldn't the nhra be money ahead to fill the downtime with as many paying sportsman racers as possible?, and then take the prize money intended for PS and give more to FC and TF?
and do the same with PSB if HD money dries up........less, not more......already have FS capturing plenty of attention, a return to a natural tie-in to what can actually be bought at dealers on monday.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back