new ESPN/NHRA producer (1 Viewer)

mick

Nitro Member
over on bobby's site michael knight has an interview with new producer.
here is a good chance with only 3 races into season to offer opinions and suggestions.

http://competitionplus.com/drag-racing/editorials/michael-knight-a-new-sheriff-in-tv-town

enjoy the 2 hour format, although i could argue 2.5 or 3 hours for events w/PSB and 2 hours w/o PSB

did not enjoy watching 1st and 2nd rounds seamlessly....IMO the nitro cars sell the sport and
at least they should be shown round by round.

drivers in booth with dunn and reiff are always a good thing....use 1st round loser drivers who have
sponsors fans can relate to....(hight/AAA / capps/NAPA / crampton/GEICO force/TRAXXAS) for example.
added value and IMO the nhra needs more added value everywhere.

officials and racers mite not like it, but the days when the cameras panned alongside the cars as
they were burning out / backing up / staging were incredible....it's great for the telecast, it's great for
the sponsors.....find a way to bring this back.....and start the show with a close up pan of an engine starting,
car rolling thru water and into burnout, then into show introduction with music, graphics, and dialogue.
if you've just watched women's chinese chess and are into commercials prior to nhra show starting
and all of a sudden there's a wild looking motor on your screen that suddenly roars to life; IMO that's
as good a hook to continue to watch as you can get.

i like the idea of showing/interviewing celebrities whenever they may be at a race.... i could care less, but the general public is always enamored with them.....hence the autograph lines in the pits.
funny story....years ago was standing talking to joe hartley and this lady walked up and asked me if i was the
driver....i looked at joe, he shrugged his shoulders, i grabbed his sharpie and signed her shirt 'joe hartley'
now that's sum funny ch*t!!

camera shots from 1/2 or 2/3 track up high in grandstands give a great perspective of speed.

a side story of what a team gets ready prior to an event....from food to hospitality to parts....show
the whole deal being packed into haulers prior to leaving for race.

in or on car cameras are always a great perspective.....the helmet cam on the starting line guy was stupid.

or.....something completely different....the article talked about the 'fan experience'.
start show with 'joe fan' welcoming you to 'xyz nhra national event'.....then periodically follow him/her
throughout the show....to their seat, to the concessions, to the souvenirs, to the pits.
kind of a fan's perspective of a day at the drags....somehow convey to the viewer that the
bleachers/concessions/souvenirs/sponsor exhibits/pits are all packed close together and it's all
there for you the average couch potato that should come out to a race.

To me, taking away the top end interviews is just a lost opportunity for the drivers to plug sponsors, subtracting from their already minuscule air time.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back