fan experience (1 Viewer)

ticket prices are too much, nice to know that some of you guys have the money but I live in NY and the "middle class" definition here is far worse than the pretty picture the media paints. I just don't have the close to 500 to go to Reading for the weekend and I shouldn't have to ever have that much!

Pat- i live in nyc and have been going to
Maple grove for over 25 yrs. I leave at around 5 am sunday morning from mid town manhattan and drive to maple grove in about 3+ hrs. After the race im home by 10 pm. Cost me about $80.00 for the whole Day.

Thanks, Mike, Robin, Eugene and Barry. I was just trying to convey that are the races perfect? Probably not.. But they're still a heck of a good time!

I was going to complain about paying $20.00 to get into the March Meet to see 32 nitro funnycars, but I guess I won't. :eek:

Pat- i live in nyc and have been going to
Maple grove for over 25 yrs. I leave at around 5 am sunday morning from mid town manhattan and drive to maple grove in about 3+ hrs. After the race im home by 10 pm. Cost me about $80.00 for the whole Day.

Your making fantastic time, I live on the Island so I get an hour added to that.

Your making fantastic time, I live on the Island so I get an hour added to that.

Understood. But maple grove is a pretty straight shot. Nj Turnpike- penn turnpike. And at that hr. No traffic.
Last yr my wife and i drove up to pa on sat. Spent the day in amish country stayed in a decent /cheap motel 1 hr from track and went to the race sun. Drove home sunday evening. All in all not too much $$ and had a blast. Might not be able to make it this yr but hopefully my schedule will allow me to. if youre planing to go maybe we can say hi up there.

Bernie- Very well said!! Thanks to guys like you my husband has a job!! Maybe your enthusiasm for the sport will become contagious. :)

No more concerts! NHRA, if you must put one on at the track, do it AFTER the racing is done. I'm just about done putting up with the one you have DURING racing at Indy behind the east side grandstands. If the wife and kids don't want to watch the action, let hubby go to the track and let the family do something else. If I want to see a concert, I'll go to a bar somewhere and save my race admission money. TOTALLY BOGUS to have it going on during racing action.

I couldn't agree more Bill. The fist time I wondered by the beer tent and saw the band playing during the middle of the day I was amazed. What the heck were they thinking?

I will use Indy as my example of fan experience since that is the race I usually spend the most time at. I usually get there at dawn and leave long after dark Friday to Monday.

I see the fan experience as what you put into it. Nothing is handed to you at this race. It is spread out and walking is the order of the day. I find walking through the sportsman pits to be a different world than the pro side. More relaxed, but there's always something interesting to see. A trip to the apparel sale tent is cool. I usually buy my girls matching event shirts there from another event because they are cheap. I also like walking as far down as I can to the end of the track. Standing by the scales is also fun for awhile.

During the HEMI Shootout..the cars parade out the pits and head down the return road to the staging lanes. The sound of thundering elephants and smell of race gas surrounds you. Then, while they are lined up in the lanes you can walk around and check out the cars and sometimes chat with fellow Hemi car nuts. This alone is one of my favorite things about Indy.

Watching the teams set up for the day is also cool. I stand at the top of the pro pits bleachers and look on as a symphony of unloading cars plays out under the backdrop of the rising Indiana sun. Then begins a real treat...sportsman racing. Cars of all kinds staging and running is only bested by the PA announcing. Alan Reinhart on the microphone spouting an amazing wealth of information about almost every car is a real treat. The sounds echo around the mostly empty grandstands, and all is good in drag land. A slice of pizza is my breakfast of choice, as tradition dictates. You can get a breakfast burrito or sandwich...but they are forgettable.

As things move on, the crowds start to swell, and the activity begins to pick up in the pro pits. That first nitro blast gets everyone's attention. Like migrating cattle, people flock to the pits to get a snort. Watching people jump and gag is always fun. Nitro-newbies are downright shocked and usually scared out of their minds, followed by huge smiles.

Qualifying is a race to the grandstands when the action heats up. There is a surge when the Nitro cars run, and a oil down is a chance to grab a bite to eat and a beverage. Speaking of food, you have to pick and choose. There are some booths to avoid, but some are really good. Experiencing a corn dog in central Indiana during Indy is an experience. Avoid the foot longs, and go for the short and chubby deep fried dough-covered meat pop-sickle.

The day progresses through qualifying, and soon it's dark. Night racing is always a treat, and as the chilly air moves in, a sweatshirt is necessary sometimes. The climax of the day is the firework show after the final pair. Due to dry conditions, sometimes it is called off. But when they have it...it's something special.

After the fireworks, a trip to the pits is in order. A small group of nitro junkies and worn out folks wonder the pits. The smells coming from the pits is what made the experience the most overwhelming for me. The sweet smell of parts cleaner wafting up and down the rows of trailers is amazing. It's not always there, but when you catch a whiff it hits you just right. Crews scramble to either find what the problem is, or most likely, get the heck out of there! A nice thing about wondering the pits after the race is the traffic leaving the track is mostly gone.

A trip to the campgrounds follows, if you know someone there. If not, just walk around a bit and try not to get run over by the crazies pulling trailers of party-goers. The occasional firework, loud crash, drinking banter and the smells of BBQ's fill the air. Then it's off to your car, and to either a local place for a bite, or beverage. Onto your hotel to prepare for the next day is next. It's a marathon not a sprint.

Saturday night is my favorite night at Indy. When all is done, one thing is quite clear...there is another full day of pro qualifying! Sunday is make it or break it day...and watching the final attempts for some to get in the show is a treat.

Monday is greeted with a different attitude. Some trailers are missing. The pace has picked up in the pits, no more fun and games. Crew members scramble and have their game faces on. The day goes by as a blur, and after all is said and done, the winners circle is where the last die-hard fans hang out. Sometimes they let you walk the track depending on if they get all the racing in. The emotions from the team members is that of exhaustion and pure joy as they stand for photo after photo. Slowly the crowd eases, and a walk through the pits reveals a shell of it's former self. Cars and gear are loaded, and the chill of the crisp midwestern air welcomes you into the night.

Sometimes I make it out to the track on Tuesday. The mostly-empty pits are quite a shock after these last days of excess. The occasional test session happens, but it is a long drawn out process with no set time or frequency.

Now after a way too long rant on my fan experience, on to what needs work. I do not know who thought that the idea of shooting a small amount of T-shirts into the crowd, staging silly games, and annoying the crud out of everyone on the microphone was a good idea...but they need a new job. Team Powerade...err Geico was OK for the first five minutes..but they need to go. It's not entertaining, not fun and not funny any more. Yes I will admit, I have toured the track in that little pickup truck, and won two consecutive poweraid chugging contests, but the shriek from the PA when they start up always makes me cringe. A few years ago in Chicago I was speaking with someone from the corporate side of Geico. I asked him why they took over for the Powerade goofs...his response was enlightening. He had no idea most folks thought they were a joke and didn't think they were entertaining. I just shook my head and wondered away.

Another thing that needs work is the restrooms. Bigger, cleaner, and more of them please. That alone will make going to the races a better experience. As a father of three girls, when I take them to the drags it is always a hassle. Up here at US 131 Martin we have family bathrooms. A few of those at a NHRA event would really be a good idea. You want family entertainment...fine, but kids have to go and family bathrooms would make it so much better.

So in review, (sorry for the novel) so in a perfect world I would like too see reduced ticket prices, better quality and variety of food, better restrooms and some semblance of entertainment during down times. I'll take the drags over the TV every time, but you have to put some effort into making it an exprience. IMHO..your mileage may vary.

I think the latest Burk's Blast makes great points on this issue. The entire article is on the link below, but 3 salient points are listed. If true, point # 3 llustrates utter cluelessness. With the economy, and other demographic factors, they can worry about "cheapening the brand" all they want, but if the higher-ups at NHRA (and track owners) don't get their heads out of the sand, in the not too distant future there may not be a brand left to cheapen.

:::Drag Racing Online::: Burk's Blast - And now for something completely different - 08/03/11

Did you know… The NHRA actually created a position and hired a person to help their member tracks sell more tickets. I think they didn’t need to hire anyone for that job, all they had to do was make the tickets a little more affordable. On the other hand, maybe the new guy can convince the NHRA management to do what every other professional sport is doing and adjust ticket pricing up or down but always have some bargain priced seating available. That way they get the seats filled so more fans can buy more overpriced track dogs, beverages and souvenirs, and increase the bottom line profits.

Did you know… The NHRA’s track owners and operators really aren’t totally to blame for the price of tickets. As it turns out, according to several national event track operators, the NHRA has the last say on the ticket pricing. So, the next time you have a ***** about the prices maybe a letter to the NHRA is called for.

Did you know… The reason the NHRA marketing types insist on keeping ticket prices artificially high is that they are afraid that lowering the ticket prices will “cheapen” the brand. That’s how gold chain Gucci loafer marketing types talk in relation to selling Rolex watches and BMW convertibles. I don’t think that philosophy should apply to drag racing.

Last edited:
Understood. But maple grove is a pretty straight shot. Nj Turnpike- penn turnpike. And at that hr. No traffic.
Last yr my wife and i drove up to pa on sat. Spent the day in amish country stayed in a decent /cheap motel 1 hr from track and went to the race sun. Drove home sunday evening. All in all not too much $$ and had a blast. Might not be able to make it this yr but hopefully my schedule will allow me to. if youre planing to go maybe we can say hi up there.

sure thing i'll let you know, i guess when you been doing it a lot more than I have the upper hand with knowledge as to where to stay. coming back the 440 has always been hell to me

Wow, I guess you kids want everything just like you are sitting at home playing video games on your computers. Bathrooms need to be cleaner? WTF? My generation went to backroads strips where a trough in old shack was a "primo" facility. Quit grippin' because most of the rest of the world can't even come up with the price of food, let alone any form of entertainment!
If I, or any one that I know goes to a National Event, a few dollars is the least of thier worries. I just praise GOD and everything else Holy that I have the means to attend such an event...

Last edited:
Yes clean bathrooms..not too much to ask or that hard to do. It's not like asking for an air conditioned viewing room with chocolate fountains and fresh strawberries. A mop, bucket and a few cleaning supplies is just one simple way to make the "fan experience" better.

Bringing my girls to the drags is a family event. It's more than just sitting in the stands chugging beers and howling at the moon like the old days.

Yes clean bathrooms..not too much to ask or that hard to do. It's not like asking for an air conditioned viewing room with chocolate fountains and fresh strawberries. A mop, bucket and a few cleaning supplies is just one simple way to make the "fan experience" better.

Bringing my girls to the drags is a family event. It's more than just sitting in the stands chugging beers and howling at the moon like the old days.

Spot on, John.

I go to 8-10 National events every year. For me, one of the biggest attractions to NHRA is accessibility to the drivers/pits. Over the years I've been able to get to know a number of drivers fairly well like V. Gaines. Gary Scelzi, Greg Underdahl, Greg Anderson, just through seeing them and being able to talk to them at the races. What other sport can you get that close to the "field" and talk with the professional? Certainly not baseball, football, hockey, basketball or NASCAR. That allows me to have a more personal interest in a car when it is competing. Of course, the sounds and smells of a run are another thing.

The inconveniences that bug me are things like hassles get to or from the track (Good: Vegas, Bad: Seattle.) and dead time from oil downs. It seems to me that NHRA has done a good job addressing the oil down problems after the fall Vegas fiasco last year.

I am fortunate that the financial side is not a problem for me but I can understand how expensive it is for a family to come to the races. But isn't that true of virtually every other professional sport? I like PSB so I wouldn't want that eliminated as one poster indicated (plus, it takes so little time for PSB to run, it wouldn't solve any problem anyway.) Bringing back the nitro Harleys and things like that would be fun. i agree with others-please, no certs during the races!

the underlying reason for a good 'fan experience' is the health of the NHRA
as we know it today - you may not put emphasis on amenities
and ticket prices, but competing entertainment does and they will win if
you choose to not 'keep up with the jones' so to speak.

I don't really care how it was in the old days. And I'm old (well, 55). I remember things being grittier "back then", of course. But so was baseball, football, and everything.

Drag racing isn't competing with how it used to be. It's competing with how it is now. And that's virtually every major sports venue having been rebuilt in the last 20 years (even venerable places like Fenway Park and Yankee Stadium) and they offer great views, clean bathrooms, good food, and comfortable seats.

Why anyone would take their wife or children to some of these drag racing venues is beyond me. They're just asking for them to have a miserable time, and make your life miserable in the process.

Why anyone would take their wife or children to some of these drag racing venues is beyond me. They're just asking for them to have a miserable time, and make your life miserable in the process.

Why you ask? Because they want to be there and I want to share the experience with them.

Going to a race with my girls is much different than when I go alone. We get to the track much later, and often more time is spend under the grandstands, in the nitromall and mainly out of the sun. I do not make them watch warm ups in the pits, or keep them in the blazing sun all day. They wear hats, sunscreen, drink lots of water and sometimes we have gone home early. That's the sacrifice I make to be able to share the drags with them.

Nothing pisses me off more is to see some parent dragging a sun burnt kid through the pits without a hat or some kind of protection.

Bottom line, it's not about me, it's about them. That's why I bring them to the track.

gjolite1.jpg

IMG_2556.jpg

Last edited:
Why you ask? Because they want to be there and I want to share the experience with them.

I get that. Note my phrase "some of these venues". These pictures were clearly taken at some of the nicer places. I've taken my family to a few of the various venues in the NHRA, and my wife won't go back. Filthy bathrooms, inedible food, terrible seats, interminable delays. She looks at me like I'm insane.

If I could get her to go to Vegas, maybe, just maybe I could get her back. But many of the others, NFW.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back