The Fan Experience (1 Viewer)

"Here I am...
On the road again,
There I am...
Up on stage,
There I go....
Playin' the STAR again,

Honestly, I like it better on TV today.
Too much to process in four seconds in person.

And
I hate crowds now
loved them...
When I was young
I'll take a quiet beach on the outer banks
and watch the surfers play
d'kid

It is by no means dead but ignoring the issues doesn't not bode well.

It's not all doom and gloom but companies that do not react positively to change and create the next great thing, often become former companies.

You can't look at things now and think it is going as well as it was 10 years ago. Now that all of the factors are NHRA created, for instance the economy hit everyone hard, but how they react to it and what they do to get through is, is a result of their moves. It hasn't been all bad by any means. Sure Winston left but they got Coke on board. While we can argue the monetary difference between the two, it is still a huge positive step that they made.

We can counter that though with issues that have made it tougher. Rising cost of attendance, racing, marketing questions, countdown and such.

PJ I couldn't count the times here on Mater or Comp plus, take your pick where NHRA was one race away from Chapter 11! If it's not the caowds, it's the Low TV ratings or Car counts! Some act as if NHRA has a Gun to their head forcing them to watch or Attend.

I've been hearing since 1995 more than you know! Jay admit it, you will never be open to today's Pro Drag racing, your a Nostalgia fan, nothing will change that!

Nostalgia is OK. When we talk about "Drag Racing", most people assume that means NHRA big show. In Europe, there is no nostalgia that I have ever seen, but there big show stuff is a much better fan experience,

There are other forms of drag racing that is working. MIR is putting people in the stands on a regular basis, as does Norwalk.

The fastest growing segment of the sport is grudge racing. Some tracks have had grudge events that sold out the facility and long lines of cars trying to get in have to be turned away.

It is when one considers NHRA big show "drag racing", that it seems to be dying. Face it NHRA racing is on the ropes.

I agree with the point about off track entertainment. In a society with a much shorter attention span than before, the clowns shouting into a microphone, shooting t-shirts into the crowd during downtime, aren't interesting enough to make people come out to the races. And that act is so tired in general, it might even drive some people from the stands. If they aren't back to their seat in time, that doesn't make the crowd look good on the ESPN2.

The Brickyard 400 pre-race activities mentioned, are far more interesting to the crowd that may not be gearheads and want to watch the crews work in the pits. NHRA has the gearheads already, so the "every seat is a pit pass" thing, works fine for them but not everybody cares to watch pistons being pulled. Activities like these can also be more appealing to kids that may want a break from solid racecar, racecar, racecar, all day.

Local focuses should be key, such as his mention of his Road America experience. If the facilities were more willing to do this, I'm sure the local businesses, organizations, etc., would be more willing to drum up people to come out. New Hampshire Motor Speedway used to have a rotary club selling fantastic food (not sure if they still do or not, it's been some years now since I've been). I never saw a lack of people buying track vended food. There's no way that couldn't be a win-win, short of a track being that stingy on hot dog sales.

Sound systems. There have been such amazing strides in sound technology, there is no excuse to not be able to hear announcing. Yes, when a fuel car is going down the track, that's tough to compete with. However, a sound system that sounds great when all is quiet is good. When louder cars are idling, often moments when key information is being dispensed, and that's enough to override the P.A., there's no excuse for that. Perhaps with the use of compression, noise gating, etc., some emphasis could be placed on tuning a track's system to handle the dynamics of the day.

Coca-Cola... NHRA does need a real partner that cares. Coca-Cola's brands have gotten far more exposure from NHRA, their publications, their television broadcasts, and their representatives, than NHRA has from Coca-Cola's efforts. Admittedly, it's not been easy to find those dollars these last few years, but if this economy turns a bit, and NHRA bites for more years of Coca-Cola dollars, while getting the same return, then it'll fall far more on their shoulders. For now, though, I don't believe Coca-Cola has done nearly enough.

Last edited:
What was your point?

That all we get from you 60 something's in here is how Drag racing today sucks compared to when you were kids, or if only you went to Orange Co. In 1968...yada yada yada.

God will you guys get a Life already! If NHRA Drag racing isn't up to your standards, do something else! You all act like NHRA has a gun to your head...:confused:

You need to re read it. I said that because NHRA big show is on the ropes,everyone thinks all drag racing is. That is not the case.

You need to get out more. Do an ADRL event, Or the all motorcycle finals in Bradenton in Nov. where you will get to see a rocket motorcycle run low 5s,

Or any of the countless grudge events held in the southeast. MIR just had a pro mod event running full quarter mile. It was a packed house.

It is up to the track operators to entertain the fans and bring in new blood. Glendora can not relate to the fact that the sport needs new blood.

As much as I love nitro racing, it really is an old guys sport. You can't see that for the first time and decide you want to do it. Used to be able to, but that is gone.

That Okie street racing TV show, as well as well as the pinks type show out draw NHRA events on TV. That my friend is the future.

As much as I love nitro racing, it really is an old guys sport. You can't see that for the first time and decide you want to do it. Used to be able to, but that is gone.

AMEN!!

Got two kids. Same opportunity to go racing, at the same level of quality- no hand-me-downs.

Kid Emmett- hooked like a big fish, but wavering, mostly because he knows that the Big Show ride is more than likely out of his reach. Funny- I never thought that way until the past 10 years.

Kid Avery- Been to as many races as big brother. Has ZERO interest, and even less at the Big Show. Is a complete engineering type- thinks the shop in the garage is his own personal playground. Which is good. Drag racing? Ehhh- not so much (although, he just did starting line duty for big brother- said it was the best time he has ever had at the track).

I'm only 44 and racing in the 70s was funner...and probably simpilier. The big show is boring to me now. NHRA as an entertainment option is over rated and over priced....

I'm waiting for the first Geezer to chime in and lecture all of us about how Wonderful everything was back in 1972, Yada...Yada...Yada!

I'll bite Joe .
If you were a young Gearhead looking at 250 Fuel Cars lasting from noon till the roosters started crowing the next day making qualifying passes you too would likely be in Drag Racing Nirvana . LOL

I agree the " SHOW " like NASCAR will have to seat less with more amenities because of cost and cater to the upscale fan .
Those fans who race something are there for the racing but the family's have to be entertained .

In my opinion, what is needed to attract bigger crowds to "the big show" is more little shows. As a fan nothing made me want to go to a national event more than watching the local booked in match races. I couldn't wait to see even more fuel cars actually trying to qualify to be one of the 16 to run on Sunday. To actually see them pushing the limits, tipping the can, and blowing stuff up. Now it's pretty much a given who the players are going to be on Sunday, with maybe a surprise DNQ from a major player. Only on rare occasions do we see a small independent racer go all the way on Sunday. The NHRA needs to do something to make it feasible for more teams to get started. We need to have 20- 30 teams battling for those 16 spots. We need local heroes trying to win big. With the current costs of running a pro level team, we'll probably never see that again unless the NHRA decides to make it possible.

good article from a couple months ago.....decline in live attendance at sporting events.
comments at bottom of article all seem to lean in one direction; cost.
motorplex not very full watching on tv last nite.

Y! SPORTS

good article from a couple months ago.....decline in live attendance at sporting events.
comments at bottom of article all seem to lean in one direction; cost.
motorplex not very full watching on tv last nite.

Y! SPORTS

Good article. Hits the way I feel. Get spoiled at home. FF, REW, FF again. My wife hates it when I "watch" a race at home. To get me off the couch, you need to include a lot.......:)

You need to re read it. I said that because NHRA big show is on the ropes,everyone thinks all drag racing is. That is not the case.

You need to get out more. Do an ADRL event, Or the all motorcycle finals in Bradenton in Nov. where you will get to see a rocket motorcycle run low 5s,

Or any of the countless grudge events held in the southeast. MIR just had a pro mod event running full quarter mile. It was a packed house.

It is up to the track operators to entertain the fans and bring in new blood. Glendora can not relate to the fact that the sport needs new blood.

That Okie street racing TV show, as well as well as the pinks type show out draw NHRA events on TV. That my friend is the future.

have you seen some of the crowds at ADRL races now that they actually charge for admission? Crowds looked pretty good at Dallas Yesterday, I guess they didn't get the Memo!

Last edited:
Nostalgia funny car yesterday- NO dry hops? WTF?? :mad:

There were 30-something NFCs at the March Meet and I could count the number of dry hops I saw on one hand. The burn outs are not much different from what you see in the big show for the most part. I still had a great time, anyway you slice it that is a big car count and a lot of nitro being burnt, but it ain't like it was as they want you to believe.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back