Commentary: It's time for 1000-ft. Across the board (1 Viewer)

Instead of tap dancing around figuring out maximum engine size, how many fuel pumps, etc., etc., in an effort to slow the fuel cars, why not impose a speed limit for quarter mile runs?
If a car exceeds the speed limit, then NHRA penalizes the team "X" number of points for every MPH over the limit.
Once you start taking points, you can bet your bottom dollar the crew chiefs will figure out real quick how to slow the cars.
NHRA needs a set of standards for shutdown areas at all national event tracks. If a track doesn't meet those standards, they lose the event.
Drastic? Yes.
Easily enforced? Yes.
Does something need to be done now? Yes.
NHRA's history, and all of drag racing, was built on the quarter mile. Let's get back to it for all cars.
NASCAR didn't shorten the races when they lost drivers. They mandated changes to slow the cars and improve safety at all tracks. And now they haven't had a racing related fatality in over nine years.

Instead of tap dancing around figuring out maximum engine size, how many fuel pumps, etc., etc., in an effort to slow the fuel cars, why not impose a speed limit for quarter mile runs?
If a car exceeds the speed limit, then NHRA penalizes the team "X" number of points for every MPH over the limit.
Once you start taking points, you can bet your bottom dollar the crew chiefs will figure out real quick how to slow the cars.
NHRA needs a set of standards for shutdown areas at all national event tracks. If a track doesn't meet those standards, they lose the event.
Drastic? Yes.
Easily enforced? Yes.
Does something need to be done now? Yes.
NHRA's history, and all of drag racing, was built on the quarter mile. Let's get back to it for all cars.
NASCAR didn't shorten the races when they lost drivers. They mandated changes to slow the cars and improve safety at all tracks. And now they haven't had a racing related fatality in over nine years.

Then watch the melted carbon fiber brakes and flat spotted smoking tires as they cross the finish line.

Then watch the melted carbon fiber brakes and flat spotted smoking tires as they cross the finish line.

You got it!
Let's just make it a 3.90 index and give 'em throttle stops.
Bob Frey on the PA..."Oh baby! A double breakout and Schumacher gets the win over Dixon!"
LOL

If that happens, the driver gets tossed for the rest of the race.
There's no need for throttle stops. I don't even want to think about such a possibility.
I think most people agree something needs to be done to slow the fuel cars. The purpose of a forum is to throw out ideas.
But, any change is going to require somebody at NHRA to show some backbone and dictate the changes to the mega-buck owners. And, given the recent history, we will probably be discussing this same subject at this time next year.

You are joking, right? You like watching a bunch of cars lift before the finish line or pull the chutes early????

This is my point....slow the cars and improve the safety of the cars....

You are joking, right? You like watching a bunch of cars lift before the finish line or pull the chutes early????

I'm kinda, sorta joking. Something needs to be done to slow the cars. The brass at NHRA doesn't have the stones to dictate anything to the mega bucks team owners.
Monetary fines mean nothing these days. Hit them with points deductions and you'll see changes immediately.
The inmates are running the asylum.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again; make the teams go back to the combination they were using in 1992 when KB ran the first 300 pass. The tracks were plenty long back then. They haven't gotten any shorter.
I just want to see side by side, full quarter mile, action again. I don't care if somebody runs 335 mph. That's not the point of this sport.
I hate seeing short fields and a number 15 qualifier either blowing his tires off or shutting off at mid track in the first round.

Has Englishtown thought of having more shut down by moving the Starting line back. OH wait, there’s that big building in the way they couldn’t move it or tear it down and build another. But who’s going to be in it anyways when there are no more races there because of track safety.

Um it's NOT The Tower, that tower was built in 1990, but it's the Wall that they built during the 80s because of neighbors who HATE the Noise. even though the track was there before many houses were built surrounding the track.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again; make the teams go back to the combination they were using in 1992 when KB ran the first 300 pass.

I've voiced this sentiment exactly in the past. I like it. It's doable. The tamer elements of the past can be blended with the safer elements nitro racers use today. You end up with a loud, cackling, smoky, crowd-pleasing, (relatively) manageable and safe car. Fans seem to be OK with 1000 feet for the most part, myself included, but I'd much prefer 4.70/300 and 1320 as opposed to 3.80/320/1000.

Speed limit? You get credit for the idea, Ted, but I'm afraid speed limits are for Interstates.

A catch cable setup (similar to whats used on aircraft carriers and runways for fighter jets) is the best option IMO. Maybe make the wheelie bar assembly stronger and use it to attach the hook onto. Put the cable just passed the last turnoff. You could either have the hook permanently down, of have it manually operated. As well as effectively saving a drivers life, it could also save the car too.

Just my 2c

A catch cable setup (similar to whats used on aircraft carriers and runways for fighter jets) is the best option IMO. Maybe make the wheelie bar assembly stronger and use it to attach the hook onto. Put the cable just passed the last turnoff. You could either have the hook permanently down, of have it manually operated. As well as effectively saving a drivers life, it could also save the car too.

Just my 2c

Until the hook comes off like the chutes did and gets launched back up the track. Or the car loses a tire and is low enough to go under the cable..that would be ugly.

The problem is that no system is perfect and the flaws will always show up. The nets work good for cars, but a dragster is like trying to catch an arrow.
And slowing a car to fast is just as bad as not slowing one fast enough. 1000ft racing may be the answer for now but is it's across the board for all classes, you'll lose alot of racers who cant afford to make the changes in gearing etc to run that length of track.

Speed limit? You get credit for the idea, Ted, but I'm afraid speed limits are for Interstates.

Carl, I don't want credit for anything.
I'm sick of seeing drivers dying in a sport I love and was just "talking" out loud about ways to prevent it.
But, if people agree the cars need to be slowed, they are in essence agreeing with a speed limit.

Tim, I have met about 7-8 former regulars who got bored with the 1000' and either quit going, or dropped about 2 races from their schedules! And these are guys who post here! I'm sure all diehards can think of a few friends that feel the same way. But...I also think the Economy is a Huge factor as well!

Hey, I resemble that remark. To be fair though, it was just the final straw.

Carl, I don't want credit for anything.

Take the credit anyway and quit fussing at me.:rolleyes: They aren't going to implement a speed limit but no idea meant to help racer safety is stupid, no matter how feasible or not it is. I was respectful and showed you my support for your other idea...which I still believe makes great sense.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back