US Open coverage is great ESPN!! (1 Viewer)

rckymtn3

Nitro Member
US Nationals? Not so much.

Like a cherry on top, I searched to see if the race had been delayed/canceled for rain or whatever....nope...I find no info like that, but I did see who won the Traxxas FC deal. ESPN's site is who spoiled it for me. Great. Absolutely stellar stuff ESPN.

Then I go to NHRA Facebook page, and there's a bunch of people feeling the same way about the US Open coverage. I'll give it to the NHRA. At least they didn't post who won the FC side of the Traxxas deal yet, everyone was posting their US Open gripes under the entry for Antron and the TF Traxxas deal.

How's that social media thing working out? Hashtag Stupid Hashtag Annoying Hashtag CantwaitforFOX
(and I actively hate FOX just on principle) Hashtag Hashtagsarefortwats

Like an even bigger cherry on top, I am still stewing about having to watch Huey and Louie watch the drag racing while I get to watch them watch the drag racing.

I speak of that waste of space that is "Baptism by Nitro". Thanks. I could have seen the first half of TJ Zizzo's run, but nah. Why would I want that? (I think it was TJ, but who knows, I was seeing red)

I mean, why watch a dragster when I can watch a guy and another guy watch the dragster for me. It's a brilliant campaign NHRA. (sarcasm) Lose it, and do it ever so quickly.

Keep it all on your facebook page. Have the giveaway there, have the clip of the winners enjoying the Baptism moment of fame there, it's for them anyway. Sure, mention it on TV, point them to where they can goober all over it on facebook, but seriously, why do I have to watch it every race in lieu of the actual racing I've tuned in to watch? This stupid stuff is truly getting out of hand. It's like Julie the Cruise Director is at the helm of the ship, and we all know she is gonna beach that love boat, but dammit, we'll all have fun while it's happening!

Stop making it an infomercial. If you weren't self-promoting every minute on the minute, you might actually make an exciting racing program.

Yes, I'm Olympic Level whining here. I can do that. I've seen so much better, and with twenty years since that "better", it's unnatural to think that in that time, coverage has tripled in length (and more), yet is still worse than the coverage I saw thirty (+) years ago. Amazing really. It's like the most amazing magic trick ever.

It's better than screaming at the TV and waking everyone up. You see, it's a long holiday weekend, it's after midnight, and I am up late watching the US Open.

I gave up after waiting an hour and a half. :mad: I guess I'll just speed through the tennis and watch it in the morning before the ESPN3 feed.

Can't wait for Fox Sports 1!

delay of 2 plus hours but we are finally seeing cars instead of grunting girls....bring on FOX!
We'll have to wait and see ... but have you guys watched FS1? Guess what sports they broadcast live ... that's right, college football, softball, and MLB. LOTS OF IT.
We'll see if things are different. At least FS1 doesn't show tennis or little league.

Round 3 and 4 of nitro were pretty much a waste of time, anyway. R2 was fantastic but ESPN only shows a highlight reel of that round, not full coverage. Ought to be a smokefest today, too, with trackside temps approaching 100 and track temps 130+. Indy is about like Dallas... most of the time it's 20 degrees above normal whenever the Nationals come around.

ESPN screws NHRA and us again! It's disgusting! The US Nationals used to get tremendous coverage. Even ESPN3 isn't worth a damn, when the pros are not running
they only have that center camera for the stocks and super stocks with no other shots. I am sure hoping that Peter Clifford will make bold moves to promote our sport and
bring in maybe nostalgia cars at some events or whatever makes it more spectator exciting. As for myself I would totally eliminate ALL throttle stop cars from diviisional amd
national events. As an recently retired racer, I've seen so many people that won't even go watch a race because of the stumble bum cars. Of course we know that won't happen
because of the big money these damn electronics put into NHRA. I think Pro and Super Pro bracket cars would be better received spectator wise. At least they RACE I actually
had a Vega Super Gas car in the '80s for a short time but that's before throttle stops. I had a business and only ran it a few times. Just the opinion of an old racer that started in'1961.

ESPN screws NHRA and us again! It's disgusting! The US Nationals used to get tremendous coverage. Even ESPN3 isn't worth a damn, when the pros are not running
they only have that center camera for the stocks and super stocks with no other shots. I am sure hoping that Peter Clifford will make bold moves to promote our sport and
bring in maybe nostalgia cars at some events or whatever makes it more spectator exciting. As for myself I would totally eliminate ALL throttle stop cars from diviisional amd
national events. As an recently retired racer, I've seen so many people that won't even go watch a race because of the stumble bum cars. Of course we know that won't happen
because of the big money these damn electronics put into NHRA. I think Pro and Super Pro bracket cars would be better received spectator wise. At least they RACE I actually
had a Vega Super Gas car in the '80s for a short time but that's before throttle stops. I had a business and only ran it a few times. Just the opinion of an old racer that started in'1961.
Bob ... I do not mean any disrespect, but why would NHRA tailor its program Nationally / Divisionally around a shrinking demographic. They need to target the future.

I was at the New England Hot Rod Reunion, the stands were quite full. HOWEVER, it was mostly older couples or older guys and their racing buddies walking around. Very few 20/30 somethings or younger or families. The millennials and the Gen X'ers, for the most part, could give a crap about nostalgia stuff. They do like bracket racing, but it is the crazy, skinny tire outlaw stuff that really excites them. They don't care much for old cars. If NHRA is to survive, that's where management needs to look. How to target today's teens, 20's, and 30 somethings. Ditching carbs for flat hoods in Pro Stock is a step in the right direction. If you are under 40 in today's world, everything is electronic.

Watch video of the Yellow Bullet Nationals at Cecil County Dragway. You want to see throngs of young people? Or the race they just had in Tulsa a few weeks back. Same type of racing. 10.5, X275, Drag Radial, lots of nitrous. 22,000 people showed just to watch.

I respect the "retired" racing generation, but going back to what you know and love will not grow the sport and that's what needs to happen and very quickly in my opinion.

sooo glad that ESPN was able to keep our show from running over 7pm even when we lost 20+ minutes to baseball......

sooo glad that ESPN was able to keep our show from running over 7pm even when we lost 20+ minutes to baseball......
Pretty simple Bob ... probably 6-8 million viewers for Sunday night baseball. Plus huge commercial revenue at maybe $500k per spot.

It's just pure business.

Pretty simple Bob ... probably 6-8 million viewers for Sunday night baseball. Plus huge commercial revenue at maybe $500k per spot.

It's just pure business.

What incentive does ESPN have? It's not like they're trying to get the NHRA to sign another contract for next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see the NHRA repeatedly get the shaft over the last six races.

[QUOTE="Bob Kirkbride, As for myself I would totally eliminate ALL throttle stop cars from divisional and
national events. As an recently retired racer, I've seen so many people that won't even go watch a race because of the stumble bum cars. Of course we know that won't happen because of the big money these damn electronics put into NHRA. [/QUOTE]

+100! It should be a felony to be in possession of a throttle stop. If the NHRA thinks that throttle stops are so great, why don't they mandate them on all the pro classes?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back