Excellent ESPN Coverage (1 Viewer)

ESPN did a fantastic job....and Mike Dunn was awesome as usual ! I just wish there were more on board cams on the nitro cars.I remember a few years back ( and just for one race) ESPN placed a tiny roofcam on Cruz Pedregon's f/c....looking straight ahead....like the ones used in NASCAR. OMG that view gave a great sense of speed....you could almost feel the rear end sliding all over the lane ! Guess I just like going along for the ride !

I got home in time to see the finals and I thought the helicopter shot was awesome. it showed just how much those cars skate around and how much driving those guys and gals actually have to do! I always thought watching them from behind told the tale, but that overhead shot all the way down the track really illustrates how much talent those drivers have!

ESPN's coverage has good camera work and good editing.

If any broadcast coverage of drag racing was to be "flawless", it would call for the absence of Paul Page, in favor of commentators capable of shutting up for four seconds so we can crank it up and listen to the cars run.

Despite his enthusiasm, Paul Page can come across like a pompous windbag. About ten years ago, in the five-minute opening segment of an Indy 500 broadcast, I counted Paul saying the phrase "Indianapolis Motor Speedway" twenty-two times.

Dave Despain is the master, and Bret Kepner is truly excellent.

And thanks for asking! :D

Dave Mann
(602) 233-8400
Roadsters.com

I agree, great show. But there was something that told me that not all is well in the NHRA. It was the amount of fans disguised as empty seats during the finals. Anybody else notice that?

Jack

I agree, great show. But there was something that told me that not all is well in the NHRA. It was the amount of fans disguised as empty seats during the finals. Anybody else notice that?

Jack

Yup, I noticed the same thing too.The 1000 ft. thing does not sit well with me and my friends and if it doesn't go back to 1320 next year you will be seeing a few more empty seats !

Darn it ESPN-get so used to you doing things one way and now you switch it up. As I have in the past , I plan my monday around the coverage. I'll putz in the garage between runs during the day-can only see Gartlis shaving so many times--or relive 1st rd qualifying-or here the 1 question the let Gary Gerold ask over + over-blah blaah blah--10 good minutes out of 2 hours. Well yesterday was riveting. The segment with Force-Snake + WJ was absoulutly the best thing I've seen between rounds. Well didnt get much done-garage got clean though.
the evenings coverage--well-3/4 of it will be a rehash--nope--that was even worth watching every minute.
Atta boys go out to the whole crew--best event i've seen on tv!!!!

Yup, I noticed the same thing too.The 1000 ft. thing does not sit well with me and my friends and if it doesn't go back to 1320 next year you will be seeing a few more empty seats !

Sadly, I heard from some very well-placed people that serious talks were underway to bring all racing to the 1000' standard in 2009.

I hope wiser minds prevail.

Lol. Chris I think it was the Seattle race this year, that had the lady sing both the Canadian and National... That was painful. I thought Carl Lewis was bad, but she took the cake!

No kidding. I turned to the person next to me at Seattle and asked "who's strangling the cat?" :p

Well, glad I didn't get to my seat in time for that ... lol.

And yesterday I fast forwarded through the anthem. I find more often than not that very few people are capable of performing the Star Spangled Banner in what I would consider an acceptable manner. :)

But, I do agree with the sentiment of this thread, the coverage was awesome. I loved having hours of of NHRA coverage on my DVR Sunday and Monday nights. :D

coverage was good, the round table chat was awesome. I would love to see the entire chat

Fans in the stands were lighter than normal and judging by the amount of angry people I heard sitting in the stands, walking around and in the food lines more will be missing next year. The no fence standing rule that was in effect really po's alot of people.

The guy who sang the national anthem was terrible. My ears almost started bleeding.

The coverage was awesome, all throughout the weekend. Legends interview was fantastic, as well as the coverage of all-things Indy.

This is the first race I've watched on TV in months (since 1000' was changed). It definitely is not what it used to be. :eek:

Congrats to Steve Johnson, Dave Connolly, Robert Hight and Tony Schumacher.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back