ESPN 2 NHRA coverage! John Kernan ???? (1 Viewer)

jm

Nitro Member
Is it me, or does it seem that watching ESPN 2 coverage of a National
Event is MUCH more informative, insightful and fun to watch when John
is working the event? I just feel that his knowledge and rapport with the
drivers/ crew chiefs make for a show with much greater continuity and
flow.
I DONT intend to have this thread be a Paul Page bash-a-thon, mainly
because I give PP tons of credit for his past work in Indycar! Now that
Tom Carnegie is gone, I consider Paul to be a link between generations
of race fans.
Now, back to John. It seems he is always on the scene with a breaking
story as to why XXX team is late to the lanes, etc. These seem to be
stories we miss when he is not working the race!
I am interested to hear others thoughts on this. I mean, how much $$$
extra could it possibly cost ESPN to send John to ALL the National Events?
I dont mean outright, but as a percentage of the total budget for the
entire weekend.
IMHO, ESPN would enjoy a considerable return on investment if they
followed up on this idea. After all, in racing, its the smallest of details that
separate a win from a loss, and JK seems to be the best in finding these
details and explaining them to the ESPN viewers!

All opinions welcomed!

John Matson

I agree with you John. JK is an excellent addition to the broadcast team. He is always clear and informative. I love listening to the podcasts that he does. It gives me real insight into what the teams are doing prior to an event. He is not afraid to ask the "tough" questions. I am not a fan of PP when it comes to Drag Racing. He's been doing the coverage for a while now and it still seems as if he doesnt know what he's talking about. Mike Dunn has to bail him out multiple times during the broadcast. Why cant we get Frey in the booth for the Pros? PP is still mispronouncing driver names and various other aspects relating the sport. PP does great with other forms of motorsports, I just dont think he is cut out for Drag racing. Just my opinion.

I agree, thoroughly enjoy John Kernan on the broadcasts. I also enjoy his podcasts.

Last edited:
.....Why cant we get Frey in the booth for the Pros? .......

He's busy in the PA tower during the pro rounds annoucing for the live crowds. Even he has a few detractors.

You'r never going to make everyone happy. Can't be done.

I agree that John adds a great deal of in-depth knowledge of the sport to the shows.

I agree with you John. JK is an excellent addition to the broadcast team. He is always clear and informative. I love listening to the podcasts that he does. It gives me real insight into what the teams are doing prior to an event. He is not afraid to ask the "tough" questions. I am not a fan of PP when it comes to Drag Racing. He's been doing the coverage for a while now and it still seems as if he doesnt know what he's talking about. Mike Dunn has to bail him out multiple times during the broadcast. Why cant we get Frey in the booth for the Pros? PP is still mispronouncing driver names and various other aspects relating the sport. PP does great with other forms of motorsports, I just dont think he is cut out for Drag racing. Just my opinion.

Not defending PP.. he does screw up once in a while but watch a Cup race with DW annoucing.. its murder on the senses... lol

JK is a great ad to the broadcasts.. not sure if he is given leads to cover certin items or the just finds things to report on... i'm assuming he finds them.... with his back ground in motorsports coverage and their pace to quickly report issues with teams there, the simplicity of a drag event should allow for better coverage of behind the scene race day issues... and i believe John knows how to grab it and use it like it should be...

Not defending PP.. he does screw up once in a while but watch a Cup race with DW annoucing.. its murder on the senses... lol

With the exception of the Boogity, Boogity nonsense at the start of the races, I really like DW. I think him and Mike Joy and Larry Mac are the second best announcing team in racing (Varsha, Hobbs and Matchett are number one by a long sight on the Speed F1 telecasts). Since Benny Parsons died, the NBC NASCAR telecasts are almost unwatchable.

My feelings about PP are well known ... I have just decided that I am 30 years younger than him, so I can wait him out and tolerate him til he retires.

Last edited:
I really like John Kernan on any kind of racing. He's knowledgable and just plain good at it.

Besides Mike Dunn, John Kernan is my favorite on-air talent for drag racing. He seems to have a genuine enthusiasm for the sport. Plus, he is able to ask tough questions without being confrontational.

Uhh..... John.... We didnt say we liked you, just your work and insightful
reporting..................LOL,JK of course!!! ;)

With the exception of the Boogity, Boogity nonsense at the start of the races, I really like DW.

It's nonsense but it's expected of him. No different than Don Meredith singing "Turn out the lights, the party's over" at the end of every MNF game.

Maybe you ain't old enough to remember that, Chris. :)

PP out, JK in! I'm good with that. When PP assumed his duties in the broadcast booth I thought where on earth did ESPN dig this guy up. Couldn't they have found somebody that knew something about drag racing? He has maybe learned a little or maybe I just tune him out but at least he doesn't annoy me as much any longer. If it wasn't for Mike Dunn in the booth I would prefer they just do the 'Sounds of the Strip' for the entire 3 hr broadcast. I don't need PP to explain to me why smoke is coming off the tires at half track.

Last edited:
Count me as a John Kernan fan ...He does a heck ofa job .Always has wherever , whatever he has done .

agreed, although it's fun to reminisce of nhra broadcast voices of years past,
the present cast is fantastic.....JK amps it up to 11 ;)

Sorry, I just had to revisit this thread! JK gives us a different and more
insightful perspective, esp. behind the scenes! Apparently, John was originally NOT scheduled to work this race, he found out at the last minute.
I am probably way off base here, but wouldnt it be cool if the powers that be @ ESPN Motorsports READ NITROMATER, and acted to help the NHRA Fans out, by adding John? Lets hope its for the rest of the season!

John Matson:D

Sorry, I just had to revisit this thread! JK gives us a different and more
insightful perspective, esp. behind the scenes! Apparently, John was originally NOT scheduled to work this race, he found out at the last minute.
I am probably way off base here, but wouldnt it be cool if the powers that be @ ESPN Motorsports READ NITROMATER, and acted to help the NHRA Fans out, by adding John? Lets hope its for the rest of the season!

John Matson:D

If I may, let me take it one step further. Find something else for Paul Page to do and let John Kernan and Mike Dunn have the broadcast booth for ESPN. How cool for drag race fans that would be........ very cool!

PP made a couple of coments to Shirley that I thought would get him into trouble - with her (One about Connie K and another about her Christmas card list, kinda age oriented)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back