1000 FT for everyone? (1 Viewer)

Like I said before-I do not have all the answers. This is just my opinion. Take it for what you want. Yes, 310-315 MPH is extremely fast. I agree-but at least the racers have that extra 320 ft. to get slowed down. Every little bit is going to help. Whether it's 1320 or 1,000 ft. the fans will there. Just look at the attendance from Dallas. The last few accidents have been with 1320 races. Steve Engle at Indy and the man who lost his life in Columbus in Super Gas. They were both going considerably slower than a TF or FC. How many accidents have happened at 1,000ft???? That's all I am going to say.....;)

Then how in the Hell is 310-315 at 1000' any safer? You want to make this sport Absolutely safe? Ban ALL classes over 200 MPH! That way insurance becomes more affordable, and folks will feel really Safe!:confused:

I agree ! Hell, why not just ban the sport altogether ! I hear tractor pulls and monster trucks are loud and safe! Give me a break.

I think you got it, Mike. Screw it!!! Cut the cars up and sell 'em for scrap. Recycle all of the aluminum parts, sell the trucks and trailers, and bulldoze the Drag Strips and put up condos. Everybody complains about how expensive Drag Racing is anyway, look how much money we would all save if they did away with Drag Racing. If it ain't safe get rid of it; makes perfect sense. Nothing is safe, you can get hurt doing just about anything. If you really think about it, just living is pretty dangerous. Might have to outlaw that too.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Dave

Ok that's it.... How many of you that are speaking on this topic only are actual drag racers??? How many of you are Bench racers??? Come on show of hands... Don't be shy. Ok, for those of you that are Bench Racers-Give me a Break!!! If you have never raced down the 1320, 1,000 or the 660 you have NO IDEA what it's like to drive one of these MONSTERS!!!! I do not care if it's has doors or it's a rail. It is a Wicked Ride!!!! I primarily race to the 660ft. That is A OK with me!!! I am also a DRAW Board of Trustees Member. As much as I LOVE what I do for DRAW I wish we did not even have to exist. But we do. Once again I will say this till my dying day. Race car drivers know beyond the shadow of a doubt what can happen in the race. IT IS NOT A SECRET!!!!! Death can and does happen... Bottom line!!!! But, we choose to do this. Support us if you want to or don't it's your decision.

How many of you that are speaking on this topic only are actual drag racers??? How many of you are Bench racers??? Come on show of hands... Don't be shy. Ok, for those of you that are Bench Racers-Give me a Break!!!

You treed me with this comment. ;)

How many people have to die for all of these "come on, whimps, it's a dangerous sport" blowhards to want to change something? What's the number? One a year? One a decade?

And how the heck do we get these "never attend again", and "I've stopped watching" to just really do it, and go away. These folks insist they aren't paying attention then post the same message over and over again here. It's like a 3-year-old holding their breath until you buy them the candy bar. Just do it, go away, we'll be fine without you.

Drag racers have died from wrecks at 1/2 track and even less. There are no completely infallible solutions. Strapping into a drag car is a calculated risk-every time you stage. The driver, his/her family, team owner, crew and yes, even the sponsor must decide if they wish to be associated with the sport given the inherent risks. It's obvious that many have chosen to continue accepting these risks.

I strap all three of my sons in these beasts. They understood the risks before ever staging on their first licensing pass and know they still exist today. I'm fortunate that I still have them with me today but I understand that accidents can and do exist and they could be gone in a whisper. We choose to race on and we'll accept the risk of 1320 feet if given the choice.

There may be a greater risk commuting to work tomorrow as the only thing that separates us from death in our daily travel is a 3 inch yellow line painted on the middle of the road. Talk about calculated risks? We all take them every day and I'd much rather put my trust in an experienced competitor in the other lane than another teenager on the cell phone reaching for the french fry they just dropped.

To Mr. Bob Cole, you obviously don't attend many drag races. I am DAMN sick and tired of attending Memorial Services for drag racers. I am also DAMN sick and tired of putting memorial stickers on my SCSP dragster!!:mad: Drag racing gives ANYONE the opportunity to meet and get to know all these drag racers. (If the person chooses to do so!) With that being said drag racing drivers can and usually become a real BIG part of the fans lives. A day literally does not go by that I don't think of Darrell, Eric, and Scott. I attended Eric's funeral and Scott's memorial service. For me it is literally like loosing one of my own family members.:( I am DAMN sick and tired of it. SOMETHING has to be done. If making every class a 1,000 ft. SO BE IT!!! It is not the END of the WORLD!!!:eek: I have been involved in drag racing since 1972. I am only 40yrs. young!!! This is my entire life. Do I like 1,000 ft. racing??? I do not care at all!! It's got to be all about SAFETY!!!! Bottom line. Enjoy your "Last drag race" in Vegas. I can almost guarantee you in '09 all 24 NHRA national events will be contested at 1,000 ft.:cool:

What would you call many. Gators every year for the last 12. My wife would disagree that's not many.I couldn't tell you how many nitro races I saw in the 70s. 5 or 6 a year.

I 'm as sick and tired of it as you are. We disagree on the solution, not the problem.

For those who think it won't matter to the fans, you'll know next year. Do not go by what you see this year.

If you think I 'm just here to pitch a fit and try to get my way, and am secretly still watching the races, wrong. I 've spent more time here arguing than I have watching the races.

Until the day I hear the announcement that this is permanent, I 'm going to make sure who ever reads this board knows some people hate it.

I hope I like the racing in person. I think it blows on tv, and I have no respect for the 'leaders' of this sport. This is the easy way out. It's boring, it shows absolutely no ingenuity or innovation, and compared to other motorsports, it's embarrassing. Even Nascar has more brains than the NHRA .

Part of the appeal of motorsports to me is the technology and design of the cars. Here is a chance for NHRA to show their stuff intellectually, and they flop.

Change the cars! They haven't changed since stone age for Chrissake!

Who's going to Petit Lemans anyone? Diesel race cars kicking ass. now there's innovation.

There's no reason NHRA can't be as exciting and interesting as it once was.

They have the reason to make changes, and they don't do it.

I 'm dissappointed to say the least.

SOMETHING has to be done. If making every class a 1,000 ft. SO BE IT!!! It is not the END of the WORLD!!!:eek: I have been involved in drag racing since 1972. I am only 40yrs. young!!! This is my entire life. Do I like 1,000 ft. racing??? I do not care at all!! It's got to be all about SAFETY!!!! Bottom line. Enjoy your "Last drag race" in Vegas. I can almost guarantee you in '09 all 24 NHRA national events will be contested at 1,000 ft.:cool:

I could not have said this any better. If 1,000ft racing saves one life in the future then it is worth the change. I don't ever want to experience what I did at E-town this year again. What I don't get is how almost every driver likes 1,000ft racing but the people who are not in the seats are the ones saying it is the end of the world.

And how the heck do we get these "never attend again", and "I've stopped watching" to just really do it, and go away. These folks insist they aren't paying attention then post the same message over and over again here. It's like a 3-year-old holding their breath until you buy them the candy bar. Just do it, go away, we'll be fine without you.

Christopher, it's funny, many of these people are the same ones who said they would stop attending and watching the races after the implementation of the Countdown and the new qualifying format. They still keep coming back for more, drag racing is an addiction that not many can kick.

What would you call many. Gators every year for the last 12. My wife would disagree that's not many.I couldn't tell you how many nitro races I saw in the 70s. 5 or 6 a year.

I 'm as sick and tired of it as you are. We disagree on the solution, not the problem.

For those who think it won't matter to the fans, you'll know next year. Do not go by what you see this year.

If you think I 'm just here to pitch a fit and try to get my way, and am secretly still watching the races, wrong. I 've spent more time here arguing than I have watching the races.

Until the day I hear the announcement that this is permanent, I 'm going to make sure who ever reads this board knows some people hate it.

I hope I like the racing in person. I think it blows on tv, and I have no respect for the 'leaders' of this sport. This is the easy way out. It's boring, it shows absolutely no ingenuity or innovation, and compared to other motorsports, it's embarrassing. Even Nascar has more brains than the NHRA .

Part of the appeal of motorsports to me is the technology and design of the cars. Here is a chance for NHRA to show their stuff intellectually, and they flop.

Change the cars! They haven't changed since stone age for Chrissake!

Who's going to Petit Lemans anyone? Diesel race cars kicking ass. now there's innovation.

There's no reason NHRA can't be as exciting and interesting as it once was.

They have the reason to make changes, and they don't do it.

I 'm dissappointed to say the least.

great post

Christopher, it's funny, many of these people are the same ones who said they would stop attending and watching the races after the implementation of the Countdown and the new qualifying format. They still keep coming back for more, drag racing is an addiction that not many can kick.

And had the Mater been around in the day they would have stopped watching because ; the flag starts were cooler than that damn Christmas Tree, Nitro just doesn't smell as good as Hydrazine, firesuits & helmets thats rediculous, sitting in front of the engine wheres the bravery in that ?, what do you mean they cant push start them anymore ?.

My point is that its called EVOLUTION of the sport, if we want to watch or participate in organized drag racing we MIGHT have to get used to 1000 feet. OR we MIGHT have to get used to lower ET/MPH for some classes. OR we might not see all the classes at all the National Event tracks. OR someone will come up with a better idea.

At the end of the day changes will be made to the way we view drag racing today. If we want to see this sport evolve it must happen, some of us will adapt to those changes, others ......

TK

And had the Mater been around in the day they would have stopped watching because ; the flag starts were cooler than that damn Christmas Tree, Nitro just doesn't smell as good as Hydrazine, firesuits & helmets thats rediculous, sitting in front of the engine wheres the bravery in that ?, what do you mean they cant push start them anymore ?.

My point is that its called EVOLUTION of the sport, if we want to watch or participate in organized drag racing we MIGHT have to get used to 1000 feet. OR we MIGHT have to get used to lower ET/MPH for some classes. OR we might not see all the classes at all the National Event tracks. OR someone will come up with a better idea.

At the end of the day changes will be made to the way we view drag racing today. If we want to see this sport evolve it must happen, some of us will adapt to those changes, others ......

TK

Or How bout NHRA limiting Hydrazine to one drop per gallon?:p

Hi all,

Just a quick note to follow up on Bob Cole's comments. I was there, working and racing in the dark ages of drag racing...and if you think the cars haven't changed, you probably could use a few good books and related information about the eras you are referencing.

While I have no idea how many races I have been to...most of which I was working as an announcer...I can recall that for over 30 years at least...I was working every NHRA National event...plus a host of divisional and local shows every year. As I recall...as early as 1964 I was working every weekend at some track across the country from the first of April till the end of October. So I guess that would count for quite a few, considering I worked as an announcer for 45 years.

The cars of today are dramatically different in so many ways...a whole lot not generally visible. But to me, the important thing is they are incredibly superior in safety over their early counterparts.

I unfortunately was on the working end of a large number of major incidents, both with serious injuries and too many fatalities. I can also tell you the majority came in the first couple of decades since my announcing debut in 1959.

The choice is any fans as to whether they like or dislike the distance used in competition...but to justify it on some sort of tradition is a little thin. I can attest to the use of varying distances throughout my history in drag racing...tho the majority was 1320 feet...but it was not engraved in stone.

The change coming after the Kalitta accident was one that lengthened the shutdown area of EVERY national event track with almost no expense to anyone. We will have to wait and see whether it stays or reverts back.

Till then, I would suggest you enjoy the competition, the cars, the noise, the spectacle...and most importantly, the people of drag racing.

In reality...the last item is what its all about.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

MaC

the tradition of 1320 ft or the quarter mile does not mean that much to me, i just find 1000ft racing, just to short and much less appealing

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back