NHRA's TV Ratings 2002-2007 (1 Viewer)

I just Realized something. I don't remember seeing a PowerAde commercial this season.

but then again, I'm usually in the the kitchen during breaks.

d'kid

You're right, Karl. I just spun through the tape. No Powerade spots at all in the Phoenix qualifing show, the raceday show, or eliminations. They flashed the logo a few times. 5 idiotioc Vault commercials, though.

Something to remember about ratings and ratings companies:

1) The primary function of ratings, radio or TV is to make money for the ratings company.

2) The secondary function of ratings radio or TV is for the sales departments of said radio or TV stations.

If you are a radio or tv station you must pay to get the ratings in detail.
If you are an advertising agency you get them for free.

I don't trust or believe ratings or the companies that produce them.
Having spent 17 years on the programing side of radio and having seen the actual ratings books and read the comments of the people filling them out, I would not give a urine sample for the information contained in them.

1) The primary function of ratings, radio or TV is to make money for the ratings company.

2) The secondary function of ratings radio or TV is for the sales departments of said radio or TV stations.

Having spent 17 years on the programing side of radio and having seen the actual ratings books and read the comments of the people filling them out, I would not give a urine sample for the information contained in them.

Dan you may be right as far as accuracy of it all, but are you saying the corporations don't take TV ratings into account when deciding where to plop $2 mil. in advertising??? If TV ratings didn't tell all these mega companies that Nascar's where the advertising $$$ are at, what did?

Last edited:
Actually I'm aware of the situation I was just being snide. Some of these deals trade product distribution and if it works for the team I'm OK with it. Now days you have to be creative.
I remember when Randy Parks ran the Fluke Top Fuel dragster, they gave him a Million $$$ worth of products, and told him to sell it and use the money to run his operations. It was kind of smart in a way, it flooded the pits with their tools and instruments.

Dan you may be right as far as accuracy of it all, but are you saying the corporations don't take TV ratings into account when deciding where to plop $2 mil. in advertising??? If TV ratings didn't tell all these mega companies that Nascar's where the advertising $$$ are at, what did?

No Joe I'm not saying that they don't take the ratings into account at all. I'm saying they have to because it's all they have. If the only car ever made was a Pinto, guess what we would all be driving? As it stands now there is no competition in the ratings business.

TV ratings are better that radio because at least they have a box that monitors what is being watched, in radio they mail out a book and ask you to remember what you listened to every week. Oh yeah, if you are Caucasian the pay $2 dollars for your time. You get more if you are not.

I will say that in the near future as technology is getting better, ratings will get so accurate that Radio and TV Owners won’t want to know the truth about the listening and watching habits of the general public as more and more choices become available.

The record industry is a great example of what I am talking about. CD sales are in the toilet because people are not getting music on CD anymore they are downloading it.

In the not too distant future that is exactly how we will get our Drag racing. I know it seems far fetched for now but as bandwidth gets better and the internet becomes integrated into the TV set we will simply plop down on the couch, punch up what ever channel it’s on and watch it all unfold live in front of our faces (for a nominal fee of course).

And as far as NASCAR goes, many of the large sponsors have been there long before NASCAR was on TV more than twice a year.

How long has Bud been on the side of Bernstein’s car? Back when Drag racing was on Wide World Of Sports once or twice a year.

Don't forget there is more to motor sports than TV time, there is also the thousands of fans that get live exposure at the track. That live, in your face, see it, hear it, and smell it exposure is worth more than TV time.

Joe, you take some great photos at the events you go to. I look forward to seeing them when you post them as do many other people here. I went to your Phoenix photos page 3 opened the fist picture, Brandon and JR Todd getting ready to stage, now this is 1 photo that you posted for all to see. Here is the list of sponsors I noticed: Budweiser, Torco, Pontiac, GMC, Checker Shucks Kragen, Harley Davidson, US Smokeless, and POWERrade. That’s one picture by one guy on one website.

Sorry to get so long winded about this

I'm just sayin':D

P.S. I have not been in front of the computer for a few days, your mom is in my Prayers.

Dan

Last edited:

Dan,
I will say back in the early 90's, about a year after we did the Nielson thing, we were contacted to do a radio log, mine must have looked real weird, at that point, all I listened to was talk radio, except Sundays, when I listen to the sports talk station that carried MRN. that's the thing about driving a Metro with only an AM radio.

d'kid

Dan,
I will say back in the early 90's, about a year after we did the Nielson thing, we were contacted to do a radio log, mine must have looked real weird, at that point, all I listened to was talk radio, except Sundays, when I listen to the sports talk station that carried MRN. that's the thing about driving a Metro with only an AM radio.

d'kid

At least you filled it out honestly.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back