1000 FT for everyone? (1 Viewer)

Too bad if they stay at 1000'. I guess the real test on ticket sales will be next year because just about everyone reserved their seats ahead of time this year. I'll still be there in Brainerd next year (although I would stop watching on TV)... even if they went to 1/8 mile - Fortunately the action off the track there will make it worthwile.

I'll give you my final answer 3 weeks from yesterday...

I can see floppers breaking into the threes at P2... I can also see AJ/Shoe running a .75 or so...

d'kid

I think it's a bunch of crap.Go back to 1320 and be done with it.The garbage about figuring a new tune up is just that...garbage.If everyone is at the same starting point in 2009,then everyone's back at a level playing field.Are the tuners going to get stupid overnight?? Do what AADale said and be done with it.The tracks need to do improvements on shutdown areas like at the Motorplex and at Indy.

I think the bottom line will prevail. You may need to go Nostalgia if you want to see 1/4 mile racing again. IMO:(

My only issue is if they go back to 1320 how much will they take away from the Nitro teams? Then in turn the alky teams (since they don't want the little siblings to get to close to nitro)

I guess before I picked I would want to know what the changes would be at 1320.

As far as everyone going to 1000' it makes sense. I'm not saying I like it but it makes sense.

I Would greatly prefer 1320 but I can live with 1000'

What is the real choice here, 1000' over performances dating back 10-15 years? I thought this was a performance sport, I'll take performance over tradition anyday!

This weekend I sat in the vendors area in Dallas which was right at the 1000' line and it was pretty awesome. The bleachers in Ennis end at 800', Snake is right, no one in the bleachers can tell the difference other than the scoreboards. The cars are just thundering in the distance at that point.

Last edited:
Darr,
Put the guys with those flashlites across the street to direct all fuel cars and Steve Johnson to the first tee box:D

Darr,
Put the guys with those flashlites across the street to direct all fuel cars and Steve Johnson to the first tee box:D

That could work, also consider Navy Semaphore...

semifore.gif

Been to two 1000' races (Sonoma / Indy) and will NEVER go again. Anyone who has been around the sport for any length of time can ABSOLUTELY tell the difference. Snake is my all time favorite, but on this one he is dead wrong!! 1000' SUCKS!! Period!!

This is my first post after being absent for awhile but I have strong opinions about this subject. I don't have a problem with the fuel cars racing to 1000 feet, but I do understand the purists that would prefer 1320 and that's very commendable. However, to me, the biggest stars of the sport are the race cars themselves. I do not want the NHRA to take power away from the cars. I would much prefer that they race to 1000 feet than slowing them down to accomodate 1320. Like the one post said, do we really want to see them slowed down to the top alcohol ranks? To me, racing to 1000 feet is just as exciting, if not more exciting than 1320. It brings into play reaction time. If the top fuel final in Ennis had been raced to the 1320 mark, JR might not have won, not that I'm a huge JR fan, but I'm just making a point. Racing to 1000 feet makes the drivers that much more important. But please, don't take power away from the cars. I love getting my hat blown off when the cars go past. Just my opinion.

Leebone

Been to two 1000' races (Sonoma / Indy) and will NEVER go again. Anyone who has been around the sport for any length of time can ABSOLUTELY tell the difference. Snake is my all time favorite, but on this one he is dead wrong!! 1000' SUCKS!! Period!!

Mark,

That's kind of sad that you would depart drag racing over this 1,000 foot deal, things do change over time, especially for safety.

Anyone who has been around the sport for any length of time

Anyone? I have been going to the drags since my dad took us kids to Riverside Raceway in 1963... does that count? 1,000 foot works for me at a place like my favorite Pomona Raceway.

We'll miss you.

Darr

Mark,

That's kind of sad that you would depart drag racing over this 1,000 foot deal, things do change over time, especially for safety.

Anyone? I have been going to the drags since my dad took us kids to Riverside Raceway in 1963... does that count? 1,000 foot works for me at a place like my favorite Pomona Raceway.

We'll miss you.

Darr

Could not agree more Darr, Indy was my first 1,000 ft race and I am willing to accpet this if it will keep the drivers safe. I have been attending National Events since E-Town 1989 and 1,000 ft. is fine. I would rather see 1,000ft with current rules vs. 1992 performance levels at 1320.

Mark,

We'll miss you.

Darr

I didn't say it doesn't work for people, I said it is easy to notice the difference, and give me a break on the safety thing. DRAG RACING OR ANY FORM OF RACING IS DANGEROUS, AND IF YOU DON'T WANT TO GET HURT DON'T RACE.

Could not agree more Darr, Indy was my first 1,000 ft race and I am willing to accpet this if it will keep the drivers safe.
Maybe they should just race to 330 or 60ft then? If they want to stay safe then stay home and sit on the couch. Drag racing will always have an element of danger.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back