1000 FT for everyone? (1 Viewer)

Jack, I'm curious what % of Sportsman racers would like going 1000'? That being said, the higher dollar racers would just run their motors harder knowing they didn't have to push them as far down track.

I'd be for 1000ft racing. We already do a fair amount of 1/8th mile bracket racing, why not 1000 ft?

Of course, I want to race out there, I don't care how long the surface is, if there's somebody who's going to race against me, I'll strap in one of my guys and send them down.

Jack, I'm curious what % of Sportsman racers would like going 1000'?

we used to run a stocker and a superstocker, and now i just bracket race, to me 1000' would not be as fun, guess thats why im lookin at a new harris or sidebiter, some of you iowa boys should know what im talkin about, lol.

No way on 1000ft. I just wouldn't like racing it,I don't like it on TV,nor do I care much for 1/8th mile racing.

, Snake is right, no one in the bleachers can tell the difference other than the scoreboards. The cars are just thundering in the distance at that point.[/QUOTE]

I dont post here much but that is total crap. I have seen 1000 foot racing and it SUCKS in person! It not real noticable on tv but it is in real life. Anyone that says they cant tell the difference is full of it.Flame all ya want.......its sucks.....Period!..........joe

So.....some of you would rather the NHRA de-tune the fuel cars to accomodate 1320, rather than racing the full 8000 horses at 1000? Do you really want them de-tuned to top alcohol performance? Do you know what that will do to ticket sales? Will someone please explain to me what is so special about that last 320 feet?

So.....some of you would rather the NHRA de-tune the fuel cars to accomodate 1320, rather than racing the full 8000 horses at 1000? Do you really want them de-tuned to top alcohol performance? Do you know what that will do to ticket sales? Will someone please explain to me what is so special about that last 320 feet?

...and some of us don't want them de-tuned at all ! 330 in 1320 was great...fix the tracks that cant handle it ( oh I don't know...maybe remove concrete posts and camera booms from the sandtraps) ! Anyone ever wonder if the damn rev-limiter might have been the reason Scott Kalitta's engine let go ? Sorry, I'm old and grumpy !

For 3 of the 4 days I was at Indy I was sitting right at the 1,000 ft. mark. LOVED IT!!!!!;) I think NHRA & IHRA should go 1,000 ft. for ALL CLASSES!!!! Re-set SC,SG, & SS indexes. It should be done at ALL national events and Divisionals!! Do we really want another re-peat of the poor guy who lost his life over the weekend at the NHRA Jeg's Sports Nationals at National Trails Raceway!!!!:confused: The moral majority of ET Bracket Races in the USA are already 1/8th. of a mile. I think 1,000 ft for all classes is the only logical and safe way to go!!!:)

Will someone please explain to me what is so special about that last 320 feet?

the same thing that's special about the last 125 miles at Indy or Daytona, the last 6 1/4 hours at Le Mans or the last 22 feet between the bases...

to me losing 25% of the racing surface really changes the racing, it seems almost as soon as the cars settle in after "1/2 track" (about 3/4 track now) the race is over...and you simply don't see many cars making a "top end charge" anymore

I'd rather see NHRA change some fundamental mechanical changes to slow the cars down some and get back to quarter mile racing (and it's not like it'd be the first time they slowed the fuel cars)

We've been seeing 65% less racing for years from my point of view... that's the difference between a flopper running 7.20's vs. today's 4.70's... both those are 1320 numbers...

24 hours of LeMans is a time determined race, not distance.
If yours seats are at the 20 yard line, good luck really seeing whats going on at the opposite end of the field.... there is a reason there is a seventh inning stretch... Does College BB and the NBA still play with different clock times? does AAA baseball still only play 7 innings?

d'kid

All you 1000' fans crack me up. You act like for the last 15 years you have been closing your eyes when the cars pass the 1000' mark because you just couldn't stand the danger or expense involved to the REAL finish line. And finally you can keep your eyes open the whole race, thank you NHRA! Oh yeah, I can tell the difference on TV as well. I want back 1320' a month ago.

All you 1000' fans crack me up. You act like for the last 15 years you have been closing your eyes when the cars pass the 1000' mark because you just couldn't stand the danger or expense involved to the REAL finish line. And finally you can keep your eyes open the whole race, thank you NHRA! Oh yeah, I can tell the difference on TV as well. I want back 1320' a month ago.

Kind of like after Scott's Death all these racers couldn't wait to jump in front of a Microphone saying how they've been pushing for these changes all along, but NHRA wasn't listening!:confused:

No Michael, I haven't keep my eyes closed the last 40 plus years...

I really don't give a dang what they run for distance as long as it's the same on every track. but, let's get a distance that means something world wide. Pick one: 250 Meters, 300 meters, 400 meters, 500 meters, heck, junk all the tracks and go for a full klick. Personally, I'd like to see what a flopper or a pipe rack would run in a Standing Kilometer.

But, simplify it, what ever they do, keep it in base ten... 1000ft, 1100 ft, 1200ft, 1300ft, 1400ft, 1500ft... and the speed trap should be 100ft

d'kid

Bottom line... SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY!!!!:eek: We (all drag racers) want to be as SAFE as we can. Yes, we know what can happen to us in our race cars. It is no SECRET!!! With that being said, IF TF & FC go back to 1320- and then NHRA mandates smaller fuel pumps etc. etc. the NHRA is going to have to allow the teams to Test!!!! Now-if it really is true and that there is a Nitro shortage how can this happen???:confused: I do not have the answers. But-SOMETHING is going to have to happen for 2009---BOTTOM LINE!!!;)

I wouldn't necessarily call myself a "fan" of 1000 feet, but I'm just curious, how far would the fuel cars have to be detuned for 1320? We already have top alcohol cars visiting the litter box. Also, if you detune the fuel cars too much, I doubt you'll be seeing very many Will or Schumacher type 334mph top end charges anyway. Might as well watch the alcy's. I just don't want to see the fuelers detuned. Like I said before, the cars themselves are stars of the show too. I'd rather they stay at 8000hp and run them to 1000. It doesn't bother me any. JMHO

I do understand the 1320 die hards though. I was at Columbus when Shoe ran that 336. It was stunning, but I'm not going to quit going because 320 feet got shaved off. That I don't understand.

As far as lengthening shut downs, except for Firebird, which has a prairie past the trap, most facilities don't have the real estate to do that. Example, E-Town and Pomona have public roads past the trap and Norwalk has an airport. A lot of other tracks have farms around them. Columbus (when they ran) and Reading actually cross public roads. So what that tells me is, the cars got too fast to contain. I don't see any other solution than running to 1000 feet. Or maybe each track owner aside from Firebird and Gainsville can relocate and build longer facilities. Who's going to pay for that?

Actually, 1000 feet is a luxury to me. The closest track in my area is only 1/8 mile. :eek:

GOT IT!!!! This is easily the greatest idea i have ever had. In fact i am emailing this exact post to NHRA at this very moment. Remote Controlled racing! Cant hurt anyone if no one is inside the car. All the speed and none of the risks. I hope this takes off.....

Too bad racing will never be safe; it cant be done. But i think that NHRA and related parties are making great strides to help the cause. They will get a handle on the situation as soon as they can. Racing will be back just like it was a year ago.

GOT IT!!!! This is easily the greatest idea i have ever had. In fact i am emailing this exact post to NHRA at this very moment. Remote Controlled racing! Cant hurt anyone if no one is inside the car. All the speed and none of the risks. I hope this takes off.....

GREAT idea. I'm all for it. :D Like I said, the "cars" are the stars of the show.

Actually, .... the drivers may be safe, but nobody else will be. Have you ever tried to control an RC car? I'd feel sorry for Rick Stewart, the fans along the fence, the Safety Safari, and anything past the sand traps. YIKES!!! :eek:

Leebone

I'm going to Vegas, for no reason other than my DAD bought tickets ,paid my airfare, and is looking forward to it.

If this 1000' thing is permanent, all I can say is, my Dad took me to my first drag race in 1970 (that's the ticket you see in my avatar),

and he will be taking me to my last this year at Vegas.

I'm sick of these greedy owners who are afraid they won't be able to dominate if the combinations change for everyone.

Too bad. They are putting their own welfare ahead of that of the sport.

I won't support them anymore,plain and simple.

Look at what nascar did. I suppose they could have knocked down the high banks at Daytona and 'Dega in 89 instead of going to restrictor plates.

They were smarter than that. Obviously , NHRA is not.

To Mr. Bob Cole, you obviously don't attend many drag races. I am DAMN sick and tired of attending Memorial Services for drag racers. I am also DAMN sick and tired of putting memorial stickers on my SCSP dragster!!:mad: Drag racing gives ANYONE the opportunity to meet and get to know all these drag racers. (If the person chooses to do so!) With that being said drag racing drivers can and usually become a real BIG part of the fans lives. A day literally does not go by that I don't think of Darrell, Eric, and Scott. I attended Eric's funeral and Scott's memorial service. For me it is literally like loosing one of my own family members.:( I am DAMN sick and tired of it. SOMETHING has to be done. If making every class a 1,000 ft. SO BE IT!!! It is not the END of the WORLD!!!:eek: I have been involved in drag racing since 1972. I am only 40yrs. young!!! This is my entire life. Do I like 1,000 ft. racing??? I do not care at all!! It's got to be all about SAFETY!!!! Bottom line. Enjoy your "Last drag race" in Vegas. I can almost guarantee you in '09 all 24 NHRA national events will be contested at 1,000 ft.:cool:

Last edited:
Bottom line... SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY!!!!:eek: We (all drag racers) want to be as SAFE as we can. Yes, we know what can happen to us in our race cars. It is no SECRET!!! With that being said, IF TF & FC go back to 1320- and then NHRA mandates smaller fuel pumps etc. etc. the NHRA is going to have to allow the teams to Test!!!! Now-if it really is true and that there is a Nitro shortage how can this happen???:confused: I do not have the answers. But-SOMETHING is going to have to happen for 2009---BOTTOM LINE!!!;)

Then how in the Hell is 310-315 at 1000' any safer? You want to make this sport Absolutely safe? Ban ALL classes over 200 MPH! That way insurance becomes more affordable, and folks will feel really Safe!:confused:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back