"Zippy" Zips... (1 Viewer)

Earlier this year Bernstein lured Walsh away from Tuttle's team and everyone around here was throwing Bernstein under the bus. This is a similar situation, Zippy had only a verbal commitment for next year with Schumacher but he has decided to go elsewhere. It appears Force has lured Zippy away from Schumacher and it appears to be OK (with some of you) because it is Force's team.
From Comp plus' interview with Don Schumacher:
Registered member said:
“Mike had talked to me about it about a month or so ago,” Schumacher said. “He committed to me in Denver on Thursday and Friday that everything was fine and that he’s staying with me. We shook hands and a commitment was in place. He told me that he was not going over there and that was that.

“Then on Friday in Seattle we talked and John Force had been working him, working him, and working him about driving a race car there [JFR Racing] and that was the chance of a lifetime.”

How is John Force different from Kenny Benstein now?

It appears Force has lured Zippy away from Schumacher and it appears to be OK (with some of you) because it is Force's team.
It is hypocritical isn't it?

Last edited:
Could be Neff because Austin Coil would like to retire soon? They need to keep the "braintrust" at NASA levels to stay ahead.:)

Another bet:

Had it been DSR that lured someone away, it would be "despicable, under-handed" etc etc....
Right?

Sorry to see ya go Zippy:(

I agree Paul they harpooned him,Don, pretty good anytime he made a business decission because this is after all a business you have to do what you need to do to stay competitive as we just witnessed with JFR's move.
Say what they want Kenny is now competative by making that decission.
I wonder who the P/S driver is going to be.

So lets clarify what has happened Neff is leaving DSR to joing JFR and Don is going to still have 3 F/C Teams and needs to hire a crew chief he may be able to fill that from within and he still has an open driving position.
I think DSR will be just fine and still very competative hell he sweeped the fuel classes at Seattle! ;)

Paul you coming to Sonoma? :)

Last edited:
I agree Paul they harpooned him,Don, pretty good anytime he made a business decission because this is after all a business you have to do what you need to do to stay competitive as we just witnessed with JFR's move.
I wonder who the P/S driver is going to be.

So lets clarify what has happened Neff is leaving DSR to joing JFR and Don is going to still have a 3 F/C Teams and needs to hire a crew chief he may be able to fill that from within and he still has an open driving position.
I think DSR will be just fine and still very competative hell he sweeped the fuel classes at Seattle! ;)

Paul you coming to Sonoma? :)

I'm assuming the pro stock he was talking about is Richie Stevens which he owns but AJ manages. You know, those famous DSR umbrella deals.

Even if Coil retires, why would John Force put Zippy in that position of crew chief of his car? I think he'd put John Medlen as his crew chief before someone else...and I do NOT mean this to be negative in any way, shape or form...

Zippy hasn't looked that good since winning the championship. Like, at all. They've struggled with that car, bigtime.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

So lets clarify what has happened Neff is leaving DSR to joing JFR and Don is going to still have a 3 F/C Teams and needs to hire a crew chief he may be able to fill that from within and he still has an open driving position.

I wonder if Jason Mcculloch is ready to start tuning a car? That could be a possibility. Isn't the 2nd Okuhara brother Ace's assistant? Maybe him as well.....

That's it.

I don't think John should be thrown under the bus - nor should Kenny have been.

And I don't think Don is throwing John under the bus. Upset? Most likely - and rightfully so. Heck - he's losing a driver, and now a crew chief. If he was given the opportunity to do the same you think he would have? He might be doing it soon. Who knows.

If you robbed banks for a living - would you get upset when someone robbed your bank? That's what I thought - but you would also probably understand - that's the game, and it goes on, and on.

Now - Jim Head crew chiefing for DSR in 2008 with who behind the wheel? :cool:

DLB

Even if Coil retires, why would John Force put Zippy in that position of crew chief of his car

There doesn't seem to be any shortage of cars and or crew chiefs at JFR. I didn't say for John's car, just that he can use talent if Coil is planning to retire soon. Why wait until the brain is gone to start tuning up the next CC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Smith View Post
C'mon guys............really. It is NOT the same. Scelzi has said he is stepping away and the oppurtunity for Neff TO DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!! Not even close to the same deal.

I personally got a kick out of the Don getting on Force for talking to Zippy

I think Don had every right to jump on Forcee' for not speaking to him first, after all Zippy IS currently under contract to Don. Poor business decision on JF's part.

Quote:
I think Don had every right to jump on Forcee' for not speaking to him first, after all Zippy IS currently under contract to Don. Poor business decision on JF's part.

Force wasn't looking for Neff's hand in marriage, he was looking for an employee. Do you now anyone running a business that would talk to your boss to see if was OK to hire you? :confused:

Force wasn't looking for Neff's hand in marriage, he was looking for an employee. Do you now anyone running a business that would talk to your boss to see if was OK to hire you? :confused:

In professional sports it is not uncommon for a team that is looking to hire a coach away from an existing team, to first ask for, and receive permission to speak to said coach prior to engaging in talks. I'm not saying that what John did was right or wrong, only that there has been precedence set.

Quote:

Check again..........Don stated they DID NOT have a signed contract........this year or next

And I agree Don had a right to be upset.....but it just reeks of irony:)

In professional sports it is not uncommon for a team that is looking to hire a coach away from an existing team, to first ask for, and receive permission to speak to said coach prior to engaging in talks.

Pro drag racing is no longer a sport, it is business and that is how business is done in the USA. How often have we seen this scenario?

Ian, you must not follow the other Pro Sports they have such an agreement in place. And common courtesy should enter here somewhere, no? Forcee' must have known Zippy would go directly back to Don after his very first meeting w/JF to discuss the matter. Mel, sorry I missed the no contract for '06.

Last edited:
Has anyone considered that Mike Neff himself may have tested the waters elsewhere? There's lots of finger pointing that I have to believe is based upon speculation since neither JFR nor Zippy himself has openly stated. I've read every word of Don's statement as well as the rumors printed about this scenario and I just can't place a lot of blame on anyone given the limited information.

Everyone has a right to move on, especially if they deem such a move would be a move up.

Don has said in the past for the record, that drag racing as this level is serious and you do what you have to in order to win. He specifically said, that if you have to take somebody's sponsor you do it. I assume that would also mean drivers as well. He's done both of those things right. Matco sponsored Skuza. Capps drove for Prudhomme. Scelzi drove for Johnson. Cannon had the Oakley sponsorship. Really he has no beef with Force. If Zippy agreed to stay and then changed his mind that's his choice. Some people would have a problem with those ethics, some would not. There has to be a reason why the fuel teams under DSR are a bit of a revolving door except for Tony's team.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back