Yello a bit too Mello? (1 Viewer)

I see it quite often here. It use to be a regional product down south but you can get it here now. I'm perfectly fine with this sponsorship. Look at Coke's angle, they are just trying to market a brand that needs a little help and are using NHRA to do it. GOOD ON THEM! They could just go a different direction and leave NHRA entirely . I think there is more mainstream cred with Mello then with Full Throttle.

So is Mello Yello supposed to be the competition for Mt Dew?

I ask because I'd been thinking about trying Mello Yello. Now, the thing is I think Mt Dew tastes terrible. I simply cannot understand why anybody drinks that cra&. So if it is supposed to be a coutnerpart, I'll avoid it.

It did have a shot at competing with Mountain Dew back in the 80s entering the early 90s. It was gone in the mid 90s at the Same Time Mountain Dew Kicked it into High Gear tapping into the youth Generation at the Time with it's ads with Extreme Sports & a Loud Image in more ways than one. At which point Coca-Cola dropped Mello Yello and tried to compete heads up with Dew with Surge, that only lasted a few years then it was gone. Coca-Cola's strengths now are Cola and Lemon-Lime Caffeine Free Sodas, not the Citrus Caffeine Sodas, Didn't work with Surge, Vault didn't do anything & Mello Yello was fine in the Past (especially with Kyle Petty), not in the present.

I remember the interview I read when 'Mello' first got into it and how it will all be a huge branding effect and reinvention. Not seeing it.

I remember the interview I read when 'Mello' first got into it and how it will all be a huge branding effect and reinvention. Not seeing it.

and With Peak Antifreeze, it will still be the Danica show.

Same as it ever Was...

talking-heads-o.gif

^^^^^^^^^^Yes I love that post Paul

Others have raised this concern in the past; but I have recently wondered at the lack of retail tie-in marketing for Mello Yello.
I appreciate the efforts of the NHRA and the support of the Coca Cola company for our sport. So, I have looked for the Mello Yello beverages at retail stores here in Colorado. Frankly, it's tough to find. In my case, I would like to try the sugar free option and have not found it anywhere. Perhaps, your experience is different.
If this is the case across the country, it is hard to see the return on investment for Coca Cola. I began drinking PowerAde from time to time after Coca Cola signed up. I'm fairly certain that I'd like to have an occasional Mello Yello Zero, as well. As it is, I haven't tried it because I can't find it!
What I'd like to see is a Mello Yello display near the store entrance as I walk in. A full sized cardboard cutout of one of our photogenic young stars would help sell the soda and increase
exposure of our sport to fans and prospective fans alike.
What thoughts have you on this subject?
Ed

Went to the store today. Found Mello Yello in both 2 liter bottles, and cartons of 12- 12oz cans at Walmart.
Also Kroger (a grocery store) had Mello Yello in regular and zero, cartons of 12-12oz cans. Hope this helps.

The only place around here that has MelloYellow is walmart. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing for the sport. But I do almost always buy Powerade over Gatorade. Usually a quarter cheaper and the zero brand is great. Wouldn't have gone to them had I not seen their branding in the NHRA

I'm in western Pennsylvania near Pitt. and we have Mellow Yellow in our grocery stores. It's in the aisle with Coke. However, the Mountain Dew aisle dwarfs it. To me, I just don't like the "sound" of Mellow Yellow. There's nothing mellow about 300mph nitro cars. I liked it so much better when it was PowerAde or Full Throttle. Wish the Coca-Cola company would reconsider this.

You know what I find weird in all of this, I went to 4 nat events last year and came back to Australia with a Mt Dew addiction. It is the only soft drink I will buy and I can get it pretty much anywhere. You know how I got this way??? It was the only soft drink for sale at nat events. I am the sort of person who buys a product because of its support of drag racing yet I came home with an addiction to the opposition. You cant even get mello yello here. If you could I would be buying it.

legendary Professional Wrestler Dusty Rhodes and Mello Yello had a deal with the National Wrestling Alliance back in 88.
Cool! Another closet Pro Wrestling fan on the mater! The few, the proud, the Pro Wrestling Fans! By the way Goldust is enjoying quite a comeback isn't he? (For the non-marks on the board He's Dustin Rhodes, Dusty Rhodes' son)

Cool! Another closet Pro Wrestling fan on the mater! The few, the proud, the Pro Wrestling Fans! By the way Goldust is enjoying quite a comeback isn't he? (For the non-marks on the board He's Dustin Rhodes, Dusty Rhodes' son)
He's a better wrestler now then he was in the 90s.

Wow! I'm not the only Pro Wrestling mark here! Great! Wrestlemania 30 is this weekend!

Remember I was the guy who compared Reinhart & Force to Gene Okerlund & Hulk Hogan

I disagree I like when Alan interviews him, it's like Hulk Hogan and Mean Gene Okurlund of drag racing.

http://www.nitromater.com/threads/c...eatest-comebacks-in-sports.26731/#post-257845

That is a great comparison, Rob! I had forgotten about that post...(not a rare ocurrance for me....)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back