Mello Yello (1 Viewer)

Dragracer

Nitro Member
I have read the 2013 rule book over and over regarding the rules regarding Mello Yello. The book says no "carbonated soft drinks" except Mello Yello are allowed and no PEPSICO products of any kind.
In the original rule book revision the references to energy drinks was crossed out.
Does this now mean that energy drinks such as Monster, Red Bull and 5 Hour Energy are allowed?
If so it certainly could be interesting and would open up some MAJOR additional sponsors that are huge in all other forms of motor racing.

I have read the 2013 rule book over and over regarding the rules regarding Mello Yello. The book says no "carbonated soft drinks" except Mello Yello are allowed and no PEPSICO products of any kind.
In the original rule book revision the references to energy drinks was crossed out.
Does this now mean that energy drinks such as Monster, Red Bull and 5 Hour Energy are allowed?
If so it certainly could be interesting and would open up some MAJOR additional sponsors that are huge in all other forms of motor racing.

Discussed 6 months ago....

http://www.nitromater.com/nhra/30792-coke-giving-up-energy-drink-exclusivity-2013-a.html

When it was Powerade, Gatorade wasn't "supposed" to be at any event as well.....

The tracks have their own deals with local vendors to provide products to fans for the events at their tracks which is the reason why you would see competitor products being sold. I am pretty sure the rule mentioned in this post is talking about car sponsorship.

Ok , The question I have is................ Will Frank Oglesby make a comeback with an all new Mello Yello Mustang Funny Car or what?

When I hear the name Mello Yello drag racing, I think of Frank Oqlesby's 1979 Mustang Funny Car that mainly competed in the IHRA series of that eara, Mainly because Frank don't like NHRA one little bit.

Before Coke made Mello Yello the title sponsor for the NHRA Pro series, If I saw Mello Yello in a store which was allmost never, I would think of Tom Cruse as the character "Cole Trickle" in the Mello Yello stock car in the movie Days of Thunder, Or Frank's funny car, but not NHRA.

Someone goofed, Mello Yello should be the NASCAR Brand and Coke should be the NHRA brand.

Again, am I the only one who see's this?

Last edited:
Del had a Mountain Dew wrap (Pepsi Product) at Chicago in 2001. He blew the body sky high in qualifying and had to put MD decals on the red car to finish the race. And if I'm not mistaken, he won the race too!

I can't remember if Powerade was the sponsor in 2001, or if it was still Winston at the time?

del2001.jpg

Disregard my original post.... I just found a picture on the internet of the Mountain Dew diecast model. It appears Winston was still the sponsor in 2001, according to the decal on the rear wing.

delmd-2.jpg

The tracks have their own deals with local vendors to provide products to fans for the events at their tracks which is the reason why you would see competitor products being sold. I am pretty sure the rule mentioned in this post is talking about car sponsorship.

I think it took Gainesville a couple years to make the change over from Pepsi to Coke products after Powerade because the sponsor.

With the term "PEPSICO" being in place it makes me wonder if that is beverages... or all PEPSICO products... that kills alot of items.... Fritos, Lays you name it....

but.. PEPSICO could work a deal to put TACO BELL , KFC, PIZZA HUT or one of the other "YUM YUM Foods" companys since they are a PEPSICO contracted group....

With the term "PEPSICO" being in place it makes me wonder if that is beverages... or all PEPSICO products... that kills alot of items.... Fritos, Lays you name it....

but.. PEPSICO could work a deal to put TACO BELL , KFC, PIZZA HUT or one of the other "YUM YUM Foods" companys since they are a PEPSICO contracted group....

If you remember all of those product names have been sponsors of NHRA teams in the past decades.

Recently had a conversation at dinner with a few racing associates on that very subject.

coca cola IMO used nhra perfectly to introduce powerade....personally i was
made more aware of the brand thru nhra and still buy it today; all in our family
drink it and do not purchase gatorade products
full throttle was a loser for everybody....nhra missed the boat with all the
sales leaders in the energy drink market; they were lucky to have a splash
with rockstar, monster and a couple lesser brands, it's too bad the market
was closed to them, could have been a few years of full sponsorship
by multiple brands; i don't see any of the major players coming into nhra now;
it's peak time has passed....although it would be nice to see a presence of some
sort by coca-cola's NOS brand?
mello yello?......can only be optimistic, trying to notice other avenues coca-cola
is using to re-establish this brand. I think mello yello is more
widely distributed than full throttle is/was?, would be really nice
if coca-cola uses the nhra brand in in-store displays; i would be very surprised
if they did.

Last edited:
Mello Yello- A TREAT for me as a youngster when it was primarily a southern-based beverage. My aunt in NC would bring it up to WV when she came for a visit, and we'd get it when we'd visit her.

SunDrop & Cheerwine was the same way, but I can get all 3 here in the Eastern Panhandle of WV now.

I think of Kyle Petty first, then I think of "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes next!

Dusty Rhodes Mello - YouTube

Gordie ran 240 and won 3 national events in that car (in 1979 the only driver to do so), while Phrudhomme had two historic runs (on nitrous?) in the '82 Pontiac.....

"On May 29, 1982 at the NHRA Cajun Nationals in Baton Rouge, LA, Prudhomme drove this car to the sport’s first 250 MPH Funny Car pass during qualifying, 250.00 MPH. And on September 4th at the 1982 U.S. Nationals in Indianapolis, IN—drag racing’s most prestigious event—Prudhomme ran an amazing 5.637-second elapsed time, which was nearly 2/10 of a second quicker than the existing national record, despite the fact the engine suffered considerable internal damage on the run. It is still considered the greatest single Funny Car pass in NHRA history.

Both of his spectacular runs were listed on the NHRA’s 60 Greatest Moments which were compiled in 2011 to commemorate the NHRA’s 60th anniversary. In 2001, Prudhomme, the first racer in NHRA history to win four consecutive Funny Car world championships (1975-1978), was chosen No. 3 on the list of the NHRA’s All-Time 50 Greatest Drivers."

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back