WJ Vents (3 Viewers)

It wasn't just Pro Stock cars having problems. From Yellowbullet:
I was there AND ran my car down the track at 6.50@ 219 mph.......

My computer graph shows that there was no traction from 1000ft on..After 1000 ft my driveshaft graph went from very smooth to alot of spikes. The pro stock guys were right and did the right thing by saying something.

They prep the track for the fuelers and it hurts everybody else.A NHRA pro stock has VERY little downforce,I made it down ok by putting a bunch of wing in it and my car is alot longer and wider then thiers.They CANNOT just crank wing into them,the cars are not designed to be run that way.

People who say they are whineing have NO CLUE what it takes to run a NHRA pro stock car.

WJ didn't sugar coat it like GA did. Allen Johnson was straight and to the point also. One of the other P/S drivers said it was time to bring back the famous Larry Morgan t-shirts that said ""YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID"

If WJ thinks NHRA doesn't care about the Pro stock cars why drag the Fuel cars into the Mix?? NHRA needs to park a Wammmbulaaannnce outside of WJ's pits at every race. They might be needed...

If WJ thinks NHRA doesn't care about the Pro stock cars why drag the Fuel cars into the Mix?? NHRA needs to park a Wammmbulaaannnce outside of WJ's pits at every race. They might be needed...

Sherwood, grow up you're acting like a 10 year old.

PB

Last edited:
I have a lot of respect for WJ, but I think he knows who butters his bread and so he doesn't mind taking a page out of the John Force book of "Pandering to the World of Drag Racing Idiots".

That track is old, porous, wavy and bumpy and all the VHT in the world isn't going to help you. So pro stock racers need to do a better job of making decisions on how to get their cars down the race track...just like us fuel racers do.

Otherwise I say give them a spec spring and shock with a big spoiler on the back, then they could 190mph and not have to worry about crashing for about 15 years.

It seems to only be an issue at the western racetracks. They don't really care about doorslammers, only nitro burners.

But the way WJ was taking pot shots at the TF drivers.... WJ has once again made himself sound like a bitter old man. :rolleyes:

I think one of the main problems is that certain people in the NHRA upper brass are pitting the fuel teams versus the Pro Stock teams....we(P/S) need glue on the whole 1320 but we are being told the fuel teams don't want it, but when we talked to various T/F F/C crew chiefs they are wanting the spray too...when was the last time that you saw Force on a good run and around 900' the car goes way out of control and crosses the center line....what do you think that's from??? As far as chunking tires I believe that the only time that occurs is when the air temp and the track temp are extremely cold...haven't heard much about this happening since early in the year....all we are asking is to spray...seems like 10 minutes of track prep would have solved all of these traction problems.....Just my 2 cents worth!:)

This is such a ridiculous statement, I'm at a loss of how to respond...

So, you're saying that doorslammers on the west coast are treated as equally as doorslammers on the east coast?

It's funny that pro stocks never have this track prep issue on east coast tracks like E-town and Gainseville....

The NHRA has one traveling crew with all their own equipment that preps all national event tracks.

I think one of the main problems is that certain people in the NHRA upper brass are pitting the fuel teams versus the Pro Stock teams....we(P/S) need glue on the whole 1320 but we are being told the fuel teams don't want it, but when we talked to various T/F F/C crew chiefs they are wanting the spray too...when was the last time that you saw Force on a good run and around 900' the car goes way out of control and crosses the center line....what do you think that's from??? As far as chunking tires I believe that the only time that occurs is when the air temp and the track temp are extremely cold...haven't heard much about this happening since early in the year....all we are asking is to spray...seems like 10 minutes of track prep would have solved all of these traction problems.....Just my 2 cents worth!:)

Admitedly, I'm not overly knowledgeable about track prep, but based on what little I learn from Mike Dunn each week during the telecasts, this seems like a valid point. The chunking of tires on the fuel cars normally happens on the tracks that are cool and tight, not the ones that are hot - above 100 degrees, regardless of where the traction compound is laid down. So it seems that a possible compromise could be accomplished, based largely on track temperature.

For track temperatures over 100 degrees (or another pre-determined, agreed upon temperature), traction compound gets laid down all the way out to 1,320 feet. For track temperatures below that, perhaps it's not as necessary due to the natural traction due to the cooler temperature.

Like I said, I'm not a profesional - if I'm way off base, please feel free to flame away.

Ok, let me get this straight, tire chunking in the last 320 ft. how far does a fuel car stay on the throttle past the 1000ft. line?, at that speed even getting out of it at the line its not decelerating very little if any to the 1320 point, right or wrong?, in a close race nobody is thinking about lifting until they are well past the 1000ft. just my thoughts, what do you think?

If I had just gotten out of a car that I almost lost control of and it wasn't due to my error but because I BELIEVED that the track was poorly maintained, yeah I'm be a bit po'd as well.

Granted no need to take a jab at the Fuel guys unless he knows they are behind the lack of spray.

Seems like there are two fixes. Go to 1000' for PS or give them more downforce

I'm not a WJ fan but I'm glad he blew his top. This issue with the last 320 feet is not just a Seattle issue-I have had it mentioned to me by several of the full tour Pro Stock guys in the last couple of years. Granted, probably would have been better if WJ didn't mention that Ray Charles could drive a fuel car but he did get everyone's attention! Greg Anderson made more subdued comments but that is his style. I'm sure he is just as passionate about the issue as WJ.

I'll be at Sonoma and one of the first questions I have for the guys I know is what did NHRA do differently after the debacle that worked for the
Pro Stock guys and didn't cause chunking for the fuel guys.

I'll also be on the lookout for the Larry Morgan buttons and t-shirts! (You can't fix stupid!)

I don't know what the solution is as to slowing cars down, 1000 feet, different nets, etc. But I do know I would like to go a long time before hearing about another drag racer whose life ended at the end of the strip.

Im in the process of watching the Seattle race on DVR and just saw first round of PS. Saw two different racers talk about the track prep issue. Warren Johnson - who sounded like a cranky old ******* who completely disrespected anyone who makes a living driving a top fuel car and insulted everyone who provides for him a venue to race, and Greg Anderson - a total class act who made complete sence and looked and talked with the professionalism that a high profile nhra driver should.

WJ just retire, everytime you open your mouth you vomit out words that make you look like a jackass.

Im in the process of watching the Seattle race on DVR and just saw first round of PS. Saw two different racers talk about the track prep issue. Warren Johnson - who sounded like a cranky old ******* who completely disrespected anyone who makes a living driving a top fuel car and insulted everyone who provides for him a venue to race, and Greg Anderson - a total class act who made complete sence and looked and talked with the professionalism that a high profile nhra driver should.

WJ just retire, everytime you open your mouth you vomit out words that make you look like a jackass.

In all fairness to WJ he had just about wrecked his car about 30 seconds ago and GA had a chance to see the whole situation unfold. Understand WJ emotions though

In all fairness to WJ he had just about wrecked his car about 30 seconds ago and GA had a chance to see the whole situation unfold. Understand WJ emotions though

Understood, he should use some discretion and keep his mouth shut though - just makes himself look stupid. (in my opinion)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back