WJ Vents (1 Viewer)

chop

Nitro Member
WJ just went off on NHRA about the track. He said that the track was flat out dangerous the last 400'-500'. I don't know what is happening but ALL of the remaining P/S cars either pulled out of line or was sent back to the pits by NHRA.GA and several of the P/S drivers and crewchiefs were on Rick Stewart about it too. Stay tuned,this could get real interesting.

Last edited:
Here are two, not exact, quotes I got off of the ESPN3 broadcast. "Ray Charles could drive a fuel car and it takes no talent to drive one" and "the NHRA only cares about the Fuel cars and don't give a crap about the other classes".

(L) Jason Line (Summit Racing Equipment GXP) -9.999(R) NT-No Show
(L) Kurt Johnson (Mark Christopher Cobalt) -9.999(R) NT-No Show

These two did their burnouts and then Rick Stewart shut them off...apparently the Pro Stock drivers were having problems with the track and refused to race with these track conditions, so NHRA moved on to the next category.

Wow, looks like the sh$t is hitting the fan again.

Meanwhile...in the interest of fair reporting...a few mins later, quicker and harder to drive Top Alcohol Funny Cars come out and ran pretty well.... IN THAT SAME LANE....:cool:

ESPN's Twitter for Terry Blount says pro stock will come out to complete round 1 and that the NHRA says there is nothing wrong with the track.

Meanwhile...in the interest of fair reporting...a few mins later, quicker and harder to drive Top Alcohol Funny Cars come out and ran pretty well.... IN THAT SAME LANE....:cool:

Granted, they are quicker and much more difficult to drive, but it's apples and oranges compared to a pro stock car. Just because an alcohol car could get down the track, doesn't mean a pro stock car could, even if they are slower.

Granted, they are quicker and much more difficult to drive, but it's apples and oranges compared to a pro stock car. Just because an alcohol car could get down the track, doesn't mean a pro stock car could, even if they are slower.

I know Greg.

I'm just sayin.... the closest cars to the lack of down force besides other door cars are the Alky Floppers....And Sean O'Bannon ran a 5.57 in that same lane... just reporting...not saying the Pro Stock guys are wrong or right.

I'm a WJ fan and appreciate the passion he has for the sport but I have one question: has WJ ever ran a TF or FC? If not, he has NO right to criticize and throw the fuel cars under the bus when it's not their fault that the track wasn't up to the PS guys standards. I'd like to see Warren strap in and make a full pass in a fuel car and then open his mouth again.

...... he has NO right to criticize and throw the fuel cars under the bus when it's not their fault that the track wasn't up to the PS guys standards........

At lest he's consistent. He's been this way from the very beginning of his career. He's NEVER had any respect for the fuel classes.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Has nothing to do with difficulty to drive and everything about downforce.

I will agree with that,.... even alky FC bodys with out the big NFC wings create alot more natural down force in the body that the PS cars....

looks like the making of a fun week to come in the press....

I'm a WJ fan and appreciate the passion he has for the sport but I have one question: has WJ ever ran a TF or FC? If not, he has NO right to criticize and throw the fuel cars under the bus when it's not their fault that the track wasn't up to the PS guys standards. I'd like to see Warren strap in and make a full pass in a fuel car and then open his mouth again.

I'll give you some food for thought; I went through Roy Hill's Pro Stock deal in the mid 90's. Tommy Johnson Jr. was there getting some laps in the Pro Stock car (7-teens at the time) trying to get a license. He was driving for Mopar in Top Fuel at the time. During a clean-up I asked him point blank how the Pro Stock car compared in difficulty to driving the fuel car. He said, and I'm paraphrasing, "These cars are much more difficult. With the fuel car you pretty much point it and stand on the throttle".

Again, I'm paraphrasing, but I'm not missing the quote by much. Make your own judgement.

Has nothing to do with difficulty to drive and everything about downforce.

Ya' beat me to it.........

Sean D

For anyone who has been in a car, they'd understand this issue. Imagine going full bore for 1000' and then you hit a patch 320' long where you don't have the same amount of traction.....downforce is only part of the issue. The tire spin would be similar to the issues cars have on tracks that have concrete to asphalt transitions....NHRA needs to pull there heads out of their asses, yet again and realize the world doesn't revolve around the Nitro cars...:rolleyes:

The world doesn't revolve around nitro racing?...pro stockers more difficult to drive than nitro cars?....LOL...whatever.:rolleyes:

For anyone who has been in a car, they'd understand this issue. Imagine going full bore for 1000' and then you hit a patch 320' long where you don't have the same amount of traction.....downforce is only part of the issue. The tire spin would be similar to the issues cars have on tracks that have concrete to asphalt transitions....NHRA needs to pull there heads out of their asses, yet again and realize the world doesn't revolve around the Nitro cars...:rolleyes:

The world does revolve around nitro cars and they realize this.

We've been down this road before. There ain't no cheap and easy answer to the on going problem. "Why can't we all just get along?"

The world does revolve around nitro cars and they realize this.

At a national event, how many cars run 1000' and how many run 1320'? If these jag-offs don't prep the track the enitre 1320, they are putting more racers into danger than not....how hard is that to understand? Nitro doesn't make a racer capable of walking on water. :mad:

pro stockers more difficult to drive than nitro cars?....LOL...whatever.:rolleyes:

Well, if you're referencing my remark, it was simply from someone who has actually done both. Does a fuel car pose some physical/mental control issues? Of course. They're pulling 5-g's for Pete's sake. But make no mistake, a mid 6-second suspended door car that has to be shifted 4 times without a hell of a lot of downforce poses some interesting challenges of their own.

Got tons of respect for ya', T. I'm just sayin'.

Sean D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back