Why are there so many good runs at Pomona? (1 Viewer)

lmhb oyf

Nitro Member
Having never been there I'm curious as to why the fuel cars seem to run very good numbers there especially considering all their runs are in the usually sunny daylight?

Is it the track surface or the weather conditions or a combination of both?

Also, is the track all concrete or 1/2 & 1/2 like so many others?

Thanks in advance.

Pomona is a low altitude track which helps. The weather conditions are favorable in Feb and Nov. provided its not raining. As far as the surface goes the concrete was extended out to the 330ft. prior to the 1992 Winternationals and then extended to the 660ft in 2001.

As many times as I`ve been to the Fairplex, I still can`t believe it`s 1,100 ft. above sea level. That track has always put up great numbers, it can become a one lane racetrack at times though. This should be one of the great races of alltime with all that`s on the line and the great conditions we`re going to see...plane is leaving at 5:55am!

I kinda figured it was a result of the conditions. I forgot that this is the dry season out there. (Like the fires aren't a dead giveaway :rolleyes: ). I'm just surprised that even with it being so dry that the sun doesn't have more of a detrimental effect. 4.40's in the sun is amazing regardless of the air. Imagine what they could do at night out there if they ever had the chance.

I just wonder with all it's potential and ability to produce good numbers combined with what are basically predictable and consistent conditions for the most part, why wouldn't they make it all concrete like Joliet?

Afterall, this IS the NHRA's home track with a rich history and two prestigious races. Plus it might help keep the lanes more equal and also give Joliet a run for its money. Even in marginal conditions Joliet still produces stout numbers. In Pomona they're pretty much the same from day to day.

Does an all concrete track not work well in other parts of the country? I know it's much more expensive but they also last longer too if I'm not mistaken. I'm curious as to why more tracks don't make the whole 1320 concrete. Seems like it's make for better racing not having that dreaded transition from concrete to asphalt that seems to plague so many teams during the warmer races of the season.

some reasons why Pomona is so good

It's in a dry climate most of the time-if it's not raining or yes snowing (not sure what year but yes it snowed one race. thinking winternationals?

the mild climate does not affect the travck surface like other tracks (frost heaving for one) so Pomona is relatively flat and smooth.

One reason why it's not concrete is it's still classed as a city street (Parker drive or avenue? the street sign is still posted) and the city of Pomona owns the track. NHRA just leases it.
I recall the lease is comming up for renewal soon.

The city of La Verne would like the track to be shut down but money talks-read somewhere that the NHRA circus influxes aproximatly $1,000,000 per event into local economy. lets see 23 events = $23,000,000. $2,000,000 of which La Verne and Pomona share (one reason Pomona is still holding national events for now.
When I lived within walking distance (10 miniute walk) of the pit entrance the La Verne mayor or city manager was involved in drag racing.
Thank goodness when a guy by the name of Walt was looking for a piece of land to build his park, the land where the Pomona strip is located, decided to go south to Anaheim instead.
LOTS of history at Pomona

The weather/air at Pomona can get real good.....but what most people don't know is that the track runs downhill. There is a 15 foot drop from start to finish. Bobby Baldwin owned a grading business and did nearly all of Pomona's dirt work,......shot it with his laser leveling equip. years ago.

You also have to remember the angle of the sun this time of the year doesn't allow the track to heat up like it will in the summer.

One reason why it's not concrete is it's still classed as a city street (Parker drive or avenue? the street sign is still posted) and the city of Pomona owns the track. NHRA just leases it.
I recall the lease is comming up for renewal soon.

The track never was a city street. It was the parking lot for the fair grounds. Police chief Parker got permission to hold races in the parking lot to get street racers off the street. That is why they made that street sign and called the track Parker Ave.

Way back before the permanent seating was installed, there were no bleachers. Every year after the Rose Parade in Pasadena, they would take down the bleachers, haul then out to Pomona and put them up in the parking lot so they could have the Winternationals.

Jay

If any of you make it out to Pomona Raceway this weekend get over to the NHRA Museum for FASTER: 1960s Photographs of Pomona Drag Racing. It's a great photographic show open through Jan. 15, 2007 with dozens of dramatic, vintage drag race images of Pomona Raceway shot by National Dragster photographers over the years... from the era of the old pumphouse and cypress trees. The exhibit was originally developed by the California Museum of Photography and is a must see!

Pomona just seems to be fast always. Even before all the great updates. Rick Johnson ran the first FC 5.40 there back in '85.

That sounds like a lot, would that be a just over a 1% grade in a quarter mile? Doesn't Maple Grove pitch more? Does NHRA have a spec on that? I thought it was 1%.

If I remember correctly the spec is 22 feet over the 1/4 mile. Maple Grove drops a lot but it is after the finish line. That is why over the years there has been an inordinate number of crashes after the finish line in classes which normally have few if any crashes after the finish line such as Super Comp and Comp dragsters.

I really have to go back and look. I thought I remembered the total Pomona drop was something like 12.8 feet of drop from the starting line to the finish line. Of course it drops further after the finish line.
And NHRA does allow 1%. Total of 13.2 feet from starting line to finish line. And in their statement was- "Zero tolerance."

I remember hearing on ESPN a few years ago that it was a 14ft elevation change from the starting line to the finish line and that is what NHRA says is the Max allowed (of course).

I recall 1% in NHRA print, and like Buzz said, zero tolerance.

If they are out of spec can we get a court order to stop the race?

Can we seize control of NHRA?

:cool:
As many times as I`ve been to the Fairplex, I still can`t believe it`s 1,100 ft. above sea level. That track has always put up great numbers, it can become a one lane racetrack at times though. This should be one of the great races of alltime with all that`s on the line and the great conditions we`re going to see...plane is leaving at 5:55am!
The Fairplex also runs downhill. I think it's a 12' fall from starting line to the sandtrap.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back