Why not 3 rounds of qualifying after Friday washout? (1 Viewer)

rpasley

Nitro Member
I'm curious why they don't run 3 rounds of qualifying in Pro categories on Saturday if Friday is a washout. With all the effort and expense of getting to an event (for both teams AND fans), it' pretty lame to leave it at just two rounds when the weather on Saturday is good (especially at Phoenix, where they're not running PSM, TAD, or TAFC...time cannot be THE issue). Is there a rationale that I'm missing here?

RP

I agree with Richard. Seems reasonable to me at least to accomodate the racers as best as possible when the weather is uncooperative.

How about it you panel of experts? Give Richard and I the inside details if you know?

Heck 1 will do if we must....

All you need to have a legal event... top ten are in and the last six by time if it rains during the one shot...

I'm curious why they don't run 3 rounds of qualifying in Pro categories on Saturday if Friday is a washout. With all the effort and expense of getting to an event (for both teams AND fans), it' pretty lame to leave it at just two rounds when the weather on Saturday is good (especially at Phoenix, where they're not running PSM, TAD, or TAFC...time cannot be THE issue). Is there a rationale that I'm missing here?

RP

why not qualify sunday 7am and then race??? 3 rounds in one day come on!! the rationale ur missing is that its always been this way.....tv does have a schedule to go by! you know the thing the peeps complain about the most....let me guess ur an ashley force fan?

And super street, otherwise they wouldn't have gone straight into eliminations this mornin'
:confused:
What Chris said. I "think" that it does occasionally happen with small classes and time constraints that they may have to go staight to eliminations.

I could be totally wrong tho!!!;););)

I talked to many of the teams and I heard no whining about only two qualifying runs for this event. Mother Nature had her say and it didn't include any problems today whatsoever. Every team was quite well prepared but they were on a level playing ground with the track surface and conditions. All in all, it was pretty darned exciting seeing everyone scramble, pedal and push to get their cars in.

:confused:
What Chris said. I "think" that it does occasionally happen with small classes and time constraints that they may have to go staight to eliminations.

I could be totally wrong tho!!!

NHRA usually allows us at least 1 trial. I've been through my fair share of rainouts ;)

Why? Because its 9pm and were still running sportsman, and have a ways to go. Oh and we start at 8am on sunday and still wont be caught up when we start the pros.

All the Sportsmen got runs friday.

I believe that is correct. Super classes usually have time trials only on Friday, which are not reported on DRC. Super Comp got another time run this morning - not sure about Super Gas and Super Street
Round 1 elimination results are now up at NHRA.com for all three classes.

NHRA normally gives the Super categories two time trials before eliminations, random pairs them for round one, so their's nothing to report before eliminations. Stock & Super Stock qualify and run off a ladder, were scheduled to get two rounds plus class eliminations. I believe the rain came in the middle of the second round of Stock, so Super Street got two, Super Gas and Super Comp just one. Stock got 2.5, Super Stock 2 (including class elims).

IHRA actually does the same, but calls the time trials for their Rod categories (same as NHRA Super categories) qualifying and reports them. Since IHRA random pairs the first two rounds of the Rod categories, all "qualifying" does for those categories is determine first-round lane choice (not pairings). I'm still baffled about just what they are "qualifying" for, but we go ahead and report it anyway.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back