Who Won - Drag Racing Adam 12 (1 Viewer)

FC Girl

Nitro Member
http://www.competitionplus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8811&Itemid=51

Well, this is a blast from the past. When I saw this on Bobby's site, I had to watch it. I was there when this was filmed. The white 54 Ford was my step dad's bracket car. The Camaro belonged to Valley Head Service Owner, Larry Ofria. (as you can see the stickers on both cars) The black cat on the side of the ford was for my mom who was nick named "Kitty". When you see the Canyon on the car, my mom was the President of the car club Canyon Ford but they had to take off Ford for obvious reasons.

The car did run well in the 1/4 mile that day, and well, I already knew who won, I was in the stands. Got outta school for 2 days for the filming at Lion's Drag Strip. Yep, that's the now fabled Big Cat Track down in Long Beach.

The guy, Fat Charlie was the actual character "Big Willy" out of Terminal Island and there was a big push to get the street racers off the street and out to the track.

The Camaro really did break at the starting line, I can't remember what he broke, but the script was such that McCord was supposed to win, but not that way. This was AHRA Sanctioned and before my parents switched to Super Stock and ran NHRA, this car was B-Modified Production. (As I kid, I always thought the wheels were much cooler, what a suprise that was to see LOL!!)

My step dad actually had to drive the car. When they tried to get Kent McCord to sit in the car so he could drive it, it was pretty loud and he didn't feel too safe. Larry was driving his car too. So it was just like a regular day of racing for us, Ford Vs Chevy and we raced each other all the time, either OCIR, San Fernando, Lions or Irwindale until my mom started working for Wally at NHRA in Toluca Lake.

The internet is an amazing tool to see this in it's entirety 37 years after filming it. It was filmed in either December or January of 71/72. WOW!! What a trip. Dick Clark and Crosby were really nice guys too. They named Crosby (If I remember correctly) after my step dad, but changed it from Ted to Ed Wells. (for those of you who knew Ted and know me, note to self: Step Dad) :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I remember watching the original airing of this episode (our family never missed an episode of Adam-12) and hearing my dad call out "no helmet, no race!" before any of the characters ever had time to deliver the line.

He was pretty proud of himself for catching it first. ;)

Now all we need to wait for is for the "CHiPs" drag racing related episode to come to the internet. :D

The Chips episode focuses on the SoCal Pro Gas association and so did the episode of the Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo.

I thought about Big Willie when they said Fat Charlie as well! An 11 sec car in those days was pretty quick even if it was a '54 ford! WIsh they had more shows like that!

Nancy, that's a great story, except it's been 37 years, not 27! Is that amazing or what? Hard to believe that kind of time has passed.

Thanks for the link Nancy... I remember watching that episode too, and that was my era at Lions as a kid as well... Nice to go back :)

Great stuff Nancy. :D I ran my car out of Larry's place (VHS) back in 77-78. Good times indeed. :cool: Got to visit with Larry at the March Meet this year, still a great guy. Thanks for the link.

Nancy, that's a great story, except it's been 37 years, not 27! Is that amazing or what? Hard to believe that kind of time has passed.

It was after 4:00 AM and the math wasn't computing at the time, :D:D

I figured it out about 6:00 after I got off the computer and figured I'd change it when I finally woke up. FINE!! Okay Fine!! LOL!!!

A little Trivia, what former NHRA brass went to high school with Kent McCord and what was Kents real name?

Bear Hugs, YUP!! 10 Years Younger, well, Okay (I had to think about that one, I was divorced by then, so Okay)

Mike--I give, any hints or answers? LOL!!

One more piece of trivia about that 54, it had a clutch in it. I was listening to see when I could hear Ted shift, it was a 4 speed, weber clutch and had a Hurst shifter in it. When he went to S/S, he was protested a few times for how quick he could shift the manual transmission. Another friend of mine, Chris Whitney has had the same thing happen to him with protesting from his abilities to shift seemlessly.

Nancy, that was awesome. You forgot to mention that Ted and Kitty were also big time hitters at the great Inyokern Dragstrip.

Hint? Still involved today.

Nancy, that was awesome. You forgot to mention that Ted and Kitty were also big time hitters at the great Inyokern Dragstrip.

Hint? Still involved today.

Big Willie? LOL!!!

Yep, my mom ran at Inyokern a lot more than Ted. When he switched to S/S, he set the 54 up with an automatic and I believe it had a stock (by his standards) 352 motor in it with a single carb. That was when she quit racing the 57 ford that she won so many bracket races with.

The tunnel ram and dual carb set up went into the 67 Fairlane that he set the record at 10.28 in Sacramento in S/S-C, obviously it's much faster than that now, but back then, he was haulin' booty.

I was already in Funny Car mode by 13 (thank you Lou & Vickie) so I didn't keep track much more after that except to help load and unload everything, shine wheels and disconnect the drive shaft for my mom to tow/race, race/tow. Seeing that video though was a trip because all of those scenes (except when they were working on the car in the shop) filmed at the track, I was there. The scene where Dick Clark ran to the starting line, they must have done that 8 or 10 times, and in the editing, you can see where they clipped it wrong (analog film) and he starts running, then they edit it and go back to where the whole scene is shown.

Amazing stuff really!!

Mike -- did you know that Kitty was my biological mom? I met my biological dad the day I got married and disconnected from any contact with Ted well over 20 years ago. I've heard that he's deceased.

Kitty knows that I drive funny cars now, as that's where my heart always was. When she found out 5 years ago that I bought mine, all she said was "oh my". :D

Last edited:
Loved watching this Nancy. I forgot that Adam-12 had an episode about drag racing. Only natural since it was set in SoCal.

Yes, the internet is amazing. That Hulu.com website has some great old shows (not just Adam-12) available for viewing.

One other thing, Nancy. Wasn't Gary Crosby (who portrayed Officer Ed Wells) the son of Bing Crosby? He sure looks like him.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back