white mark on tires? (1 Viewer)

Jay

Nitro Member
Anyone know on here what the teams are using to put the ring and white mark on the tires? I thought shoepolish but is there somthing elese. Thanks in advance. Jason

They video the tire and the stripe shows the deformation better. Its so they can read what the tire is doing.

Jason...

It is more than likely one of a couple products... both used by bracket racers to write their dial-ins on their cars. One is call 'Dial-Rite' and the other 'Write-On".

They do that so it is easier to see the revolution of the tire in the video. Without the marks it can be hard to see the wheel speed of the black tire. That's why you'll normally see two stripes on opposite sides of the tire. They will also "ring" the outer edge of the sidewall sometimes to see how much the tire is wadding.

Anyone know on here what the teams are using to put the ring and white mark on the tires? I thought shoepolish but is there somthing elese. Thanks in advance. Jason

I always thought they used shoe polish. If it's not shoe polish, I highly doubt its the "Dial In" stuff Greg is talking about.

Last edited:
... I highly doubt its the "Dial In" stuff Greg is talking about.
Shoe polish is old school. We even used it back in the day to do our dial-ins. But shoe polish is a pain the butt once it dries. I know for a fact that some teams use use the 'Write-On' or 'Dial-Rite' products... as well as what myself and my buddies use when we do it.

Last edited:
Shoe polish is old school. We even used it back in the day to do our dial-ins. But shoe polish is a pain the butt once it dries.

Oh stop being such a PUSS Greg...Nothin a little Simple Green and some Elbow Grease can't fix!!!:D Here's the best line I EVER heard at a Race from a Virgin Drag Racing Fan/Friend of mine who came and watched me race last summer up here...."Well, why can't you make your car run the same E.T. every time..that way you don't have to remove the shoe polish number on your car!"

Oh, and some of us "Old School Guys" still use it today! Works just fine, especially on the tires and wheelie bars. Either way...that's what Kid's are for! I "CUT MY TEETH" removing VHT/Rubber off our Dragster, and Shoe Polish off the tires! Put's some HAIR ON YOUR #@#!:rolleyes:

Shoe polish is old school. We even used it back in the day to do our dial-ins. But shoe polish is a pain the butt once it dries. I know for a fact that some teams use use the 'Write-On' or 'Dial-Rite' products... as well as what myself and my buddies use when we do it.

I've used that stuff to write dial ins on and didn't like it. Yes its easy to get off but I've found it to be runny and not very dark. Maybe different brands are better, that's just my experience with it.

Due to my experiences, I would think it would be especially not very useful on tires since again it's not very dark and comes off easily. You don't want the stripes on your tires to be able to wipe right off! Thats why I think conventional shoe polish is more suited for that job, and is what I used last time I did it (not sure about the pros though).

What I prefer for dial ins is that window chalk you can get at wal-mart. Writes nice and dark and wipes right off when its dry. Can get different colors if you prefer as well (for wheelie bars etc - although I like those big pieces of sidewalk chalk for wheelie bars).

Thanks guys, I help a guy with a Alky alterd ran 6.40 shutting off at 800 ft should run low teens. Iam gonna try the shoeploish ring and a stipe on the side wall. Thanks Jason

Thanks guys, I help a guy with a Alky alterd ran 6.40 shutting off at 800 ft should run low teens. Iam gonna try the shoeploish ring and a stipe on the side wall. Thanks Jason

What are you trying to Accomplish with the ring and Stripe??? Notice Tire spin at launch? Down Track tire growth? Send me a PM and I'll help out any way I can...I've had some experience with the same type of car.

Timmah!

I use Dial-in on my glass, its 6.00 bucks for a small bottle, ouch, I've been told shoe polish will scratch the glass. Don't run fast enough to mark the rear tires.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back