What's a holeshot? (1 Viewer)

Sandman

Nitro Member
I swear, I am so sick of Reiff and Tony explaining what a holeshot is every single time one driver leaves on another one that I can't take it anymore! I'm also a baseball fan, and I hear the announcers use terms like slider, cutter, 6-4-3 double play and other "inside" terms and NEVER hear them explain it. So why is it that the simplest form of racing on earth needs to have every single detail explained to death every single weekend? I understand how the staging system works, I too can see the timing blocks and I know that leaving first helps your chances of winning, and I'll just bet that everyone else watching TV does as well. Can we please put the filler to rest for good?

Thank you, I thought it was just me. What used to be used every once in awhile to explain something to the novice fan now seems to be used on every pass.

I guess they call them selves explaining it for new viewers, which I seriously doubt there are many, plus did u know a red light doesn't count in qualifying !!! :mad:

It doesn't bother me at all. If they're not discussing that, what is there to talk about?

- Green flames indicate burning copper (head gasket)?
- Raw fuel out of a header indicates a cylinder is out?
- A cylinder out means a reduction in roughly 1,000 horsepower?
- A cylinder out usually drives the car in the direction of that lost cylinder?
- A driver's head slams forward when the engines expires?
- Too much manifold pressure due to failed (insert valve train part here) usually leads to a blower explosion?
- Driver got the car out of the groove which means less traction.
- Less traction (or any loss thereof) unloads the car and leads to dropped cylinders, etc.

I'm over-simplifying, of course, but my point is that darn near everything they say week in and week out is repetitive stuff that most of us already know.

And all of this time I thought a "Hole shot" was when you got all 3 bags in playing the game Corn Hole. Huh, You learn something new every day! LOL! :)

Back when I was working for Staples many years ago, we were setting up a new HP desktop PC for the display demo. In the box was a pretty illustrated sheet showing where to plug in the cables.

I looked at my sales manager and said, "Do they really have to include that? They're all color coded how hard can it be!"

My sales manager look at me and said, "Yeah and what if you never used a computer before?"

I know it may seem annoying to the hardcore and veteran fans but the telecast has to take into account newbie fans that may be tuning in who have never watched a drag race before.

Besides, if it really grates on you that much just pay the fee for all-access. That's what I did.

I can understand doing that on a national Fox broadcast (like yesterday's ) as there are probably some new eyes watching it who are not familiar with the sport and could use the information.. But a couple of explanations during the show should suffice. Also noticed Antron sure seemed to get maximum air time during the show. Nice to see Terry McMillan have a breakout weekend. 4 good, clean runs and some good TV time too.

Back when I was working for Staples many years ago, we were setting up a new HP desktop PC for the display demo. In the box was a pretty illustrated sheet showing where to plug in the cables.

I looked at my sales manager and said, "Do they really have to include that? They're all color coded how hard can it be!"

My sales manager look at me and said, "Yeah and what if you never used a computer before?"

I know it may seem annoying to the hardcore and veteran fans but the telecast has to take into account newbie fans that may be tuning in who have never watched a drag race before.

Besides, if it really grates on you that much just pay the fee for all-access. That's what I did.

Point taken, however, to my original baseball example: if you don't know a term used by announcers, look it up. That's how I learned, and oddly enough it works. As for the cables example you gave, that's another good point, and here's my answer: I recently bought one of those invisible dog fences where you bury a wire in your yard and put a collar on the dog that gives him a little zap when he gets too close. Guess what? It came with NO instructions! Same thing, YouTube to the rescue! People are smarter than you think if they WANT to learn and if NHRA allows someone to look something up for themselves, rather than bore them to sleep with the minutia of racing in a straight line, they might look more stuff up. A long shot I know. As for those that are stymied by a holeshot? How long do you really think they'd be fans anyway?

sorry to derail.....was bird hunting in so dak. a few years ago......swapping lies one evening, one guy picks up dog shock collar
and has in hand and asks buddy to hit the 'tickle' button (there are 3 buttons, tickle is lowest setting)......he says 'oh, you barely
feel that'......so he puts it around his neck and says 'hit it again'......and what button do you think his buddy hit this time!?
he jumped 4 feet in the air, and cussed for 5 minutes straight. one the FUNNIEST damn things i've ever seen :D

Funny you should say that! My best friend and his wife were renting a house and had a dog that they set a perimeter in the house so the dog wouldn't go into selected rooms. I stop by and he told me about it and threw the collar around his neck and said let me show you how it works...Well, Chuck is a 6ft 5" 350 lb. guy. He went to cross to another room.... Funny stuff to see such a big guy fall to the floor yelling for his wife to take it off of his neck...Shut it off... Shut it off!

Funny stuff to see a Big guy drop to the floor like that...It's been many years since I've seen that but still laugh today thinking, I'll bet he won't do that again!

Funny you should say that! My best friend and his wife were renting a house and had a dog that they set a perimeter in the house so the dog wouldn't go into selected rooms. I stop by and he told me about it and threw the collar around his neck and said let me show you how it works...Well, Chuck is a 6ft 5" 350 lb. guy. He went to cross to another room.... Funny stuff to see such a big guy fall to the floor yelling for his wife to take it off of his neck...Shut it off... Shut it off!

Funny stuff to see a Big guy drop to the floor like that...It's been many years since I've seen that but still laugh today thinking, I'll bet he won't do that again!

I feel REALLY bad for the dog that has to wear the collar. If it did that to 350 pound man, imagine what it is doing to the dog.

You don't want the dog to go somewhere in the house, put up a baby gate or close the doors.

OK, how many times have you heard the announcer say "he won by a hole shot". Then you look at the numbers. Guy who won had an .010 light & the runner up had a .019 light. You can't even see that, but it's still a hole shot. Or the winning car wins by one inch & it was a hole shot victory. One inch.... Yet I've seen that more & more with the timing that is now used.

I feel REALLY bad for the dog that has to wear the collar. If it did that to 350 pound man, imagine what it is doing to the dog.

You don't want the dog to go somewhere in the house, put up a baby gate or close the doors.
Not sure what kind of setup he used, but just to be clear mine is a hell of a lot more humane. Ours emits a beep when the dog gets close, then on the third beep they get a little zap, equivalent to a static shock when you scuff the carpet then touch the door knob. You can set the distance you want the beeps to start as well as the amount of jolt the dog gets so you can set it to suit the breed/size of dog. I tested mine on myself and no I didn't wear the collar, I just touched the contact points with my fingers. Also, ours was put up because one of our dogs got into the neighbor's yard and killed 2 of their pet chickens. We had a choice to either fence the yard (2 acres), put the dog down, or put up the invisible fence. In the few weeks it's been up, our dog has only tested it twice and seems to accept his boundaries quite well. Only an idiot would put ANYTHING harmful on their pet and there's no way in hell our system could be used indoors so his 350lb buddy got exactly what he deserved. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Now back to complaining about announcers...

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back