What's Right With NHRA? (1 Viewer)

In my opinion the hardest thing for the NHRA is trying to adjust to a world that is changing faster then ever.

Today people have so many things to choose from on any weekend to do and spend their money on so it's very important to keep the program fresh and interesting for fans who just watch on TV and for fans who attend the events.

The difficult part is every other sport is trying to do the exact same things with their programs.

For the typical family mom wants something that appeals to her while dad may want to go to the drag races the kids want to see a Monster Truck Show or something like that.

Honestly I would not want to be the NHRA trying to figure this out. Appealing to people who love drag racing is one thing but trying to appeal to the rest of the family is a whole other deal.

Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com
That is a very good post, Jim. Plus, if you add on the fact that us fans can't ever agree on anything that we want or like doesn't help. Some fans want 1000' and some want 1320'...some fans want fast cars and some want to slow them down...some like the looks of the cars and some don't...some fans think the ticket prices are a decent price and some don't...some fans like the points system and some don't... I could go on and on and on. There is not enough money in this world that would entice me to be the president of any Motorsports organization.:)

Last edited:
Some teams are better than others but if you are ever at an event that we [Maddern Racing] are competing at, please stop by. If Chris Demke has time, he is absolutely one of the best at showing people the ins and outs of the car. You can take some pics, etc. Better at the end of the day of course.
If you're at Seattle next year, I'll absolutely take you up on that offer. I'm going to try to make it to the Winternationals as well just because I've never been.

Getting to meet the drivers in the pits is one of the most massive things in NHRA's favour over other motorsport.
When I took my girlfriend to the track, she was really not fussed whether she saw one race or a hundred. But once she met a driver and was able to remember which car they were with, she was a lot more interested in the result. She was disappointed that sometimes a favourite might go out in the first round and she wouldn't get to see them again.

You are in timeout :)

No way that was 7 seconds!

oh.... I thought you said "timed out"

tree1.png

Last edited:
Getting to meet the drivers in the pits is one of the most massive things in NHRA's favour over other motorsport.
When I took my girlfriend to the track, she was really not fussed whether she saw one race or a hundred. But once she met a driver and was able to remember which car they were with, she was a lot more interested in the result. She was disappointed that sometimes a favourite might go out in the first round and she wouldn't get to see them again.

Tell me about it. My wife became a lot more interested after she met Matt Hagan and Antron!

I think way too many people over look the longevity of the NHRA. There are so many post about how dumb and greedy NHRA is, but the fact is they have outlasted every other drag racing organization over the past 60-70 years. They must be doing something right. While their is no shortage of things they do that make me scratch my head, they get it right more than not. Maybe the IHRA, ADRL, AHRA and others should have been more greedy and dumb!

There is nothing as great as seeing top fuel cars in person, took my wife's best friend to a race and got here right on the fence when fuel funny cars were running, I made sure she coverd her ears, when the cars went by she jumped up in the then turned to us with a totally wild look on her face laughing and screaming that her fillings were loose, she will go any chance she gets now, also took a good friend in the pits back when they still did throttle wacks, had him stand as close to the back of of top fuel car as we could get, he lost his voice by the of day the imitating the sound

I’ve been going to the drags since a friend took me to Old Bridge’s 1/8th mile track in his early Mustang in about 1967 or 8. This is now Englishtown. My first ‘real’ drag race was the ‘70 Winters both Saturday and Sunday.
Holy Christmas trees Batman!
Were I a fish I would’ve been in the boat in one thousandth of a second!
I have been to a great many races at tracks on the east coast, west coast and Hawaii.
Early on they weren’t too costly and then they were.
I resolved right then not to care what it cost as it cost a lot to run all the cars and the crews (being paid) needed to be paid, the cars maintained and winning made worthwhile financially.
I usually only get to go to one race a year now. I’m retired so not much money but not only am I going...I get reserved seats, reserved parking if worthwhile, and generally have a budget of $100 to spend there not including food and most beverages that I bring with me.
I try to bring new people if I can.
I tell a lot of folks about what it’s like and assure them it’s worth every penny.
I’m usually stopped a few times at the track with folks who want to see my jacket (the updated 4th now) and I notice many others looking it over. Most do not believe I’ve been to all the tracks and races on it. I have. There’s no patch on it that isn’t true. The rarest is the Stardust Raceway (Vegas) one which is on my upper left chest.
Here I am with Oboy Oberto F/C driver Jim Campbell at Seattle this year. 2017.
I love it all! I’ll go til I can’t any more!!!

Attachments

• 3A193DB3-8C62-439C-AFC9-D18BEC731EFC.jpeg
    3A193DB3-8C62-439C-AFC9-D18BEC731EFC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Meant to also say that while Seattle has been upgrading (thank you!) there’s more to do especially the sound system. I was at Reading in ‘16 and literally heard every word.
Seattle’s pit side stands need a Jumbotron on the spectator side.
We can’t see squat on the pit side one. :p
I have to say I really do detest the clownfarts that babble incessantly with the contests and RC stuff.
I have to try to get away from that crap. :p

I’ve been going to the drags since a friend took me to Old Bridge’s 1/8th mile track in his early Mustang in about 1967 or 8. This is now Englishtown. My first ‘real’ drag race was the ‘70 Winters both Saturday and Sunday.
Holy Christmas trees Batman!
Were I a fish I would’ve been in the boat in one thousandth of a second!
I have been to a great many races at tracks on the east coast, west coast and Hawaii.
Early on they weren’t too costly and then they were.
I resolved right then not to care what it cost as it cost a lot to run all the cars and the crews (being paid) needed to be paid, the cars maintained and winning made worthwhile financially.
I usually only get to go to one race a year now. I’m retired so not much money but not only am I going...I get reserved seats, reserved parking if worthwhile, and generally have a budget of $100 to spend there not including food and most beverages that I bring with me.
I try to bring new people if I can.
I tell a lot of folks about what it’s like and assure them it’s worth every penny.
I’m usually stopped a few times at the track with folks who want to see my jacket (the updated 4th now) and I notice many others looking it over. Most do not believe I’ve been to all the tracks and races on it. I have. There’s no patch on it that isn’t true. The rarest is the Stardust Raceway (Vegas) one which is on my upper left chest.
Here I am with Oboy Oberto F/C driver at Seattle this year. 2017.
I love it all! I’ll go til I can’t any more!!!
Forgot the Stardust close up and the back.
I also need a 2011 Winters’ patch.
And I’ve apparently misplaced my Seattle 2015. Anyone have these please?
I have the racing staff on the back and another on front that have to do with when I was in the Southern Nevada Timing Association in Las Vegas. Ken Black (KB Racing) is a friend from that club.
Stardust had closed and we ran a NHRA licensed track on the old LA highway at Jean, Nv. We had much fun there and no one was ever hurt. :)

Attachments

• B9647CD5-3CC0-4FFD-AFF7-1D0A50C7D9DE.jpeg
    B9647CD5-3CC0-4FFD-AFF7-1D0A50C7D9DE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • 5BCD4546-E3B0-4A04-AE52-2D53F56B4CAC.jpeg
    5BCD4546-E3B0-4A04-AE52-2D53F56B4CAC.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Several years ago I took some guys from my church, including the pastor, to the finals in Pomona. In the bike pit where I know everyone, I asked Steve Johnson if my friends could see inside the transporter. No problem. He showed them all around, etc. Try that at a NASCAR race.

I'm like Milt. I'll go to the drags until I can't go anymore. I'm 71 now & get just as excited as I did when I was 14 years old at my first race. WHOOP!
I’m 65 and though some parts are acting up ;) I’m just the same!
I can’t wait to hear the first cars fire up! And I don’t care what type though I won’t be far from the blown cars when they do if not standing there waiting for a favorite!
I used to be able to tolerate nitro close by but with an asthma issue I have to back off when they are ready to fire.
I also want to say that Oboy Oberto driver Jim Campbell is a great guy! He’s become a favorite just because of how he treated me at Seattle both behind the introduction stage and at his pit.
Antron also was fun to be around there and at his pit teasing the media and crowd.
Phil Burgess of NHRA is just a great guy too!

San Fernando Drag Strip, SoCalif. 1961 or '62. Top Fuel race. SB Chevy car with a Dragmaster type chassis Vs a big, bad blown Chrysler. Push 'em down the fire up road. Whomp! Whomp! They both lite. Get to the starting line & the Chevy is in the far lane, by the trees. Chrysler in the right lane. Starter waves the flag and off they go! The Chevy goes into a wheelie, then a 2nd wheelie, smokin' the hides. Chrysler is right there. 1/2 way down, the Chrysler pedals it, still smoking the hides. That's all the Chevy needs & he wins the race. Wow!! ET? MPH? Don't remember, but after all these years, I remember that race. I'd been to Fernando before, but that race.... The hook was in already, and it went deeper. Hey babe, I'm taking off for the Drags. Wanna be there when it opens. Be back tonite. :)

San Fernando Drag Strip, SoCalif. 1961 or '62. Top Fuel race. SB Chevy car with a Dragmaster type chassis Vs a big, bad blown Chrysler. Push 'em down the fire up road. Whomp! Whomp! They both lite. Get to the starting line & the Chevy is in the far lane, by the trees. Chrysler in the right lane. Starter waves the flag and off they go! The Chevy goes into a wheelie, then a 2nd wheelie, smokin' the hides. Chrysler is right there. 1/2 way down, the Chrysler pedals it, still smoking the hides. That's all the Chevy needs & he wins the race. Wow!! ET? MPH? Don't remember, but after all these years, I remember that race. I'd been to Fernando before, but that race.... The hook was in already, and it went deeper. Hey babe, I'm taking off for the Drags. Wanna be there when it opens. Be back tonite. :)
Amen to THAT! :)
Never went there and though I went to Pomona, Irwindale and even Bakersfield I never went to Lions or OC!!!
OC closed about when I was invited to serve our country so that was permanently out. When I came back to Vegas in ‘78 I was Married with Family so race attendance dropped. :(
Later on I picked Pomona back up and even Carlsbad for bracket racing and group fun there with my club Classic Chevys of San Diego.
Anyone have any Carlsbad and Famoso jacket patches I could buy?

What's right you ask? The move to 1,000ft nitro, it was the right choice at the time. Also the fact that you can still race your daily driver with no modifications. Also 4 wide on both coasts.

What's right you ask? The move to 1,000ft nitro, it was the right choice at the time. Also the fact that you can still race your daily driver with no modifications. Also 4 wide on both coasts.
I meant to say in my first post that at I flipped out about the 1,000' change..........and I hadn't even BEEN to a race with that change yet! :rolleyes:
I sit at about the 150' mark from the starting line and I sure as Helsinki can't tell the difference at all.
It may be an issue to those who like the top end but I don't know.
I hadn't been there for awhile so I did watch some runs at Reading in '16.
Anyone here usually nesting at the top end of the track and want to tell us about it? :)
~
4 wide. I want to see that before something, God forbid, bad happens.
40,000 HP???? OH YES!
That will take planning to go east for that and maybe it will happen on the West Coast too.
~
By the way, I really did enjoy Reading/Maple Grove. Very different layout to what I've been used to at Pomona and Seattle.
Not having been there before I took no chances with parking and got that reserved with which I received a card in the mail with a huge red A on it.
Imagine my surprise that as I entered off the little winding road through houses, while other cars were sent left and right, I was directed straight on into the track area!
Now I'm driving through the pits!!! WTH!!!
No one pays any attention to me either...of course I'm going so slow it's not registering on the speedo.
I'm watching and avoiding everyone walking and any moving vehicles and I miss the A parking entrance...and so I get a nice tour of the outer ring of the pits!
So now I'm parked...not even 100' from the pits!!!!
For $25????
ANYTIME BABY! :)
~
Someone told me to look up on the ridge behind the line when the races are about to start.
Shortly before it happens all these folks arrive and sit in neat little rows!
Quakers! All the girls/women in their blue and white dresses and white bonnets!
That was a sight indeed. :)
~
I was not happy that there was no such thing as a track jacket patch. :mad: There was an event patch.
Anyone have a Maple Grove track patch please? :)
Thank you!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back