What were your Gators highlights? (1 Viewer)

Dago

Nitro Member
For all of you who braved the freezing cold, the long lines, what were some of your Gators highlights this year?
1) Talking with Tommy Johnson Sr. A real likable, personably guy. We chatted for what seemed like 20 minutes. I told him I missed his BS ads in National Dragster. He's got a race trailer security company and is working on a book as well as going to the races.
2) Standing at the top of the grandstands in section L watching the last pro sessions, then ignoring it as I hear a nitro engine cackling below me by the Goodyear trailer. "Big" was firing up Swamp Rat VIII. I forgot about the rest of the Pro Stock session.
3) Side-by-Side 5.40s by Manzo and Tasca! Makes me glad I didn't leave the stands.
4) 5s in AMS Pro Mod! And how about that twin-turbo Firebird. That beast sounded rough but what a top end charge!
5) Burkhart!!!!!!! As Frey says, dial 1-800-Paul-Smith!
6) Michael Gunderson in with "Bodie" tuning and Brandon failing to make the cut. One of Gunderson's crewmembers said John had not seen the car until a week before the race and changed everything around.
7) Greg Anderson skipping 210 and going straight to 211 mph!
8) Final session in Funny Car. Totally brutal!
9) Meeting David Powers. What a class act. Took time from mixing fuel to shake hands with everyone standing at the ropes before the semis. He's not afraid to get his hands dirty pitching in to help the team get to the next round. I still don't understand the whole deal with Valvoline.
10) Shootin' the breeze with Tony Pedregon.
11) Karen Stoffer's win. Man, she chopped the tree down every round.
12) The Racers for Christ service on Sunday. Allen Johnson witnessed before the crowd about his father's heart attack in Phoenix. God was definitely watching over his family because only 1 in 10,000 ever survive a widowmaker. Roy happened to be five miles from the hospital and the cardiologist was 10 minutes away. Sounded like divine intervention to me. Not a dry eye in the house.

For me it was:
1. Dixon (and Bender) qualifying #1 and making it to the final and ALMOST taking out the Army car
2. Anderson cleaning house in Pro Stock after the shock "clarification."
3. Karen in Pro Stock bike.
4. Taking two newbies to the race. They were the real deal and will be back.
5. Seeing "The Greek" trying to qualify one more time.
6. Gunderson making the field.
7. Three first-time qualifiers in Pro Stock.
8. Larry Morgan doing so well.
9. Learning more about David Powers. The guy is a class act.

Thanks for asking.

seeing my buddy mike fuqua win super stock since i had to fly out last yr b4 he won supergas, also martel and biondo winning.seein erks not hurt in crash ( plenty sore though). and celebrating in winners circle.

This was the first major NHRA event my wife and I had ever been to, and we were both blown away by the experience as a whole. Nothing could have prepared us for the experience of being close to a fuel car in the pits, or when they thunder down the track. I've been babbling about it all day at work to everyone I talk to. We arrived Sunday morning at about 615am, once in line at the main gate at about 710am I told her, "OK when we get through that gate, we make a bee line for the Force camp!" I'm not an autograph type of person, I prefer a pic. So I stood at Hight's place for almost an hour, then John's. Then Eric's. Then Ashley's. Finally Robert came out, my wife saw him and I ran over there. Got a pic!!

DavewithRobertHight.jpg

Then after standing at John's place for nearly an hour waiting for him to come back out, I got him too. And uh, no he wasn't trying to kiss me.

DavewithJohnForce.jpg

Also got these two fine gentlemen:

DavewithJRTodd.jpg

DavewithEricMedlin.jpg

We were both cold most of the day, sometimes sitting there shivering. We were in section A row 32, in the shade most of the day. We were tired - we'd been up since 4am. We got baptized into the wonderful world of CH3NO2 at Grubnic's pit, and damn near ran away 15 seconds later gasping, coughing, crying and laughing at the same time. Would we go again? I'll put it this way - on the way home, my wife said, "So when do they race in Vegas? We can make a long weekend of it" So we'll be there for Vegas 2 in October. Thanks to everyone on this forum for making it a great place to learn about this great sport.

Dave:

Glad you had a good time. It was a little chilly up there, at least in the morning. I see you are from Tampa. If you ever need someone to bench race with, let me know. I'll buy you a beer. My wife is into the drag racing thing, too, so we can all four get together maybe.

Dave:

Glad you had a good time. It was a little chilly up there, at least in the morning. I see you are from Tampa. If you ever need someone to bench race with, let me know. I'll buy you a beer. My wife is into the drag racing thing, too, so we can all four get together maybe.

Thanks Roger :cool: I don't drink alcohol, but maybe a get together at my house to watch a race. I don't have ESPN2HD, but it doesn't look half bad blown up to 55" :D

1. A full day on Friday after a rainy start
2. 1st 240 mph pass in Pro Mod
3. 1st 5 second pass in Pro Mod
4. My prediction of 11 bikes qualifying in the 6's coming true
5. Pro Stockers eclipsing 210 mph
6. Freezing on Saturday :eek:
7. Final Funny Car qualifying session [very similar to Pomona]
8. Freezing on Sunday :eek:
9. Good times at the Ale House
10. Chelsea at Hooters ;)

Had a great time and nice to meet some new maters like Samuel and Bob.

seeing my buddy mike fuqua win super stock since i had to fly out last yr b4 he won supergas, also martel and biondo winning.seein erks not hurt in crash ( plenty sore though). and celebrating in winners circle.

And where were you during the Mater meeting Steve? I looked all weekend for you and Mopar Jack , but never spotted either of you.

I hung with the Follow a Dream team most of friday and saturday. I shot a nice start line video from the van.

You'll need to save it your computer and then veiw it. Is a 140Mb 2 minutes.

http://www.finmanschevyshop.com/2007_0319Gainesville070108.AVI

I agree wiht most here, but Listening to Alan Reinhart announce the final Comp qualifying session was Entertaining in itself! Seemed like every car down the track was running well under .60 under, and Alan sounded like a kid on Christmas Morning announcing it. From one pair to the next he couldn't contain himself. The only downer was the Sat. morning Fuel session, it Sucked!:confused:

george didnt see u when i was back there bs ing with big doug, hung out at mikes most of weekend trying to learn something from him or bertozzi,erks etc etc . might of had a few jack/crown and cokes too. was usually at track till 11pm-1am. got the average 3 hrs sleep . just booked my hotlanta flight , gotta get stuff round for vegas first. hopefully i'll see u at epping again.

Yeah, after seeing the pro stock cars and bikes fly, the first nitro session of the day was a big disappointment.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back