Really? What were they thinking? (1 Viewer)

I missed the Friday night rental car bonfire due to work, so I went to the track on Saturday to take some pics of all the new rides and post them here. Even as a fan just wandering around (not very many people or teams there) within 5 minutes I had heard all about it and about Bob's ban from LVMS. I can't believe that has already been 10 years ago!

Another Gilby story, a certain mortgage broker used to have Mater meetings in his pits at the conclusion of Saturday qualifying ... at Vegas 2 they had a tendency to go on for a while with adult beverages being consumed. Gilby wanders in and starts talking about how he'd rather race IHRA, how they always treat him better than NHRA and how they were always happy to see him. Everyone got real quiet ... Gilby looks around and announces "Don't quote me, I am drunk!" and promptly leaves. LOL!

That same night, they were running the World of Outlaws at the dirt track and I wound up sitting with Gary Scelzi during the races ... he was there with his friend Danny Lasoski and I got to tag along back to Lasoski's trailer with him. That was a good night!!!

The famous Top Fuel owner/driver from Michigan who was arrested & jailed in the mid-80s at Indy for getting into a brawl in a hotel lobby.

These aren't anything like what used to happen back in the 70's and 80's. It would take hours to tell all those stories. How many of the players aren't still in jail (none ever went to jail) is beyond me. Tommy Ivo is one of the great pranksters. Bob Crietz was a champion bomb maker, and the list goes on....QUOTE]

Pat's right !! Back in the late 60's thru the middle 80's with the likes of Tharp, Carbone, Crietz, Goldstein, Nicoll..well I could list 40 or 50 but the point is nothing or no one was safe.

I can remember back in a late 60's-early 70's Hot Rod mag-a picture of a 55 gallon drum WAY up in the air -launched by "cherry bombs." Pyrotechnics were credited to Ed the Ace McCulloch. I'd love to hear that story. ;)

I wonder if I should tell a few nitro drum launch stories or the party after the west coast swing we used to call we aint leavin till were heavin party...:rolleyes:

Let's see if this group of words jogs anyones memory... Englishtown/Porta Potty/Nitromethane/Police.

Last edited:
Cherry bombs used to be like American Express, you never left home without them. Since they were not legal in Ok. and Texas it wasn't uncommon to detour a few hundred miles through Mo. to pick some up. Creitz and Carbone however took it to a all new level when they graduated to dynamite and weather ballons.

Ok... not a drag racing story, but it does involve fireworks, so I'll throw this one in.

In the early eighties I was working as a mechanic for a formula car race team. We were a supporting series for the Can-Am cars and one of the stops was a race in Mosport, Canada. On the first morning of practice/qualifying, on the way to the track, we grabbed breakfast at a local restaurant. The waitress who served us was a nineteen-year-old gorgeous knockout we all immediately fell in love with.

This race was a big deal for the locals and she said she'd be at the track Saturday nite for the big infield party. We couldn't wait.

Saturday nite, after buttoning up the race cars, we head over to the infield with our 6-packs in hand, along with a huge assortment of firecrackers and bottle rockets we'd picked up on the road earlier somewhere on our cross country travels. By the time we arrive, there's a massive drunken party congregating around a large bonfire in the woods.

I guess fireworks were illegal and extremely hard to get in Canada, because we ended up being the stars of the party. At one point we lit off a couple gross of bottle rockets at once, using the local Labatts beer bottles as launch platforms.

At some point late in this drunkfest I spot the hottie from the restaurant on the other side of the bonfire with beer in hand. She's surrounded by a group of local guys trying their best to get somewhere with her. I start making my way through the crowd, thinking she'll remember us from the restaurant, and I'll have some kind of advantage against the rest.

As I work towards her, I see she's tanked. Really tanked. Since I'm also tanked, I can't really focus on her 'til I get pretty close. At that point I notice something's wrong... with her mouth.

She's blabbing away to these guys, but she has this black circle on her lips. I quickly realize she's drinking from one of our missile launchers she'd picked up off the ground! Yech.

Last edited:
I remember someone being strapped
(maybe duck taped) to the wing of a top fuel car while they fired it up, and was even shown on TV.
Anyone wanna fess up?

The famous Top Fuel owner/driver from Michigan who was arrested & jailed in the mid-80s at Indy for getting into a brawl in a hotel lobby.

I remember being at Indy that year and hearing an announcement over the loud speaker that anyone who witnessed said brawl should report to the Michigan top fuel owner/driver's trailer.:D

I remember someone being strapped
(maybe duck taped) to the wing of a top fuel car while they fired it up, and was even shown on TV.
Anyone wanna fess up?

It was a photo shoot in our pits for presentation to two potential sponsors and to highlight some products of a then current sponsor on another car. Only people around was our crew and professional NHRA card carrying photographers, one of which was the model.

It started out as just still photography, but as we were video taping the procedure anyways, Les Welch suggested we start the car and let it idle and I said OK. What was I thinking, huh?

The person on the car was standing on the rear end (a Strange unit that is flat on top) and had duct tape on his wrists and ankles to look like he was taped onto the wing stand, but wasn't. We had a crew man stationed to each side of the car to help him off if something went wrong.

It took place nothing happened to anyone, we got a lot of nice shots and the people we presented it to were exited, until the next race in Houston.

Mr Light was pissed at me for not allowing his old racing buddie's son run my second car in eliminations at the previous World Finals after the son had taken some "hero pills" and drove the car out of fuel and into the sand on the last qualifying run. I am just not going to be the one allowing a driver to kill himself, or someone else, if I can help it. So he tells the drivers in the driver's meeting in Houston that I grabbed a loud mouth spectator from the ropes, threw him up on top of the rear wing, taped him down and started the car, with the guy screaming all the while. My drivers come back and are upset that they were embarrassed in the meeting and then Dave Reiff comes by and asks if I want to tell my side on tv. I said no until he tells me what Mr Light has just said on tv.

Mr Light levies a penalty that I am banned from two races, fined 5 grand and am on probation. The Fram rep was in the pits for the shoot and told NHRA immediately that if I wasn't at the races, neither would they be there. I went to the "kangaroo court" appeals equipped with the tape of the event and several videos of other teams with crew members hanging off the wing while they hit the throttle to keep the car from falling off the jacks, and shots of funny cars warming up with the driver closer than our model standing on the rear. I asked for an on air apology from Mr Light (he wouldn't even appear at the appeals hearing) but never received it. NHRA put a gag order on the tape and me to never discuss the details, but since I don't plan on racing again, I told you what really happened. I won't tell about the results of the appeals, and they never reported it either, but I never missed a race.

As far as the potential sponsors, they were kept abreast of the ordeal as it progressed and they decided they didn't want to be involved with an organization that treated it's participants the way they treated us. The other car's sponsor is no longer involved either. So there you have it.

As a side note, I won't ever name the photographers involved as it took a lot of effort by all of us for them to keep their NHRA credentials. One NHRA official who was standing at the ropes while the shoot took place lost his job over the incident because he refused to lie for Mr Light. And I asked Mr Bernstien for PRO's help in defending our team and sponsors against the lies and was told they didn't want to get involved.

It was a photo shoot in our pits for presentation to two potential sponsors and to highlight some products of a then current sponsor on another car. Only people around was our crew and professional NHRA card carrying photographers, one of which was the model.

It started out as just still photography, but as we were video taping the procedure anyways, Les Welch suggested we start the car and let it idle and I said OK. What was I thinking, huh?

The person on the car was standing on the rear end (a Strange unit that is flat on top) and had duct tape on his wrists and ankles to look like he was taped onto the wing stand, but wasn't. We had a crew man stationed to each side of the car to help him off if something went wrong.

It took place nothing happened to anyone, we got a lot of nice shots and the people we presented it to were exited, until the next race in Houston.

Mr Light was pissed at me for not allowing his old racing buddie's son run my second car in eliminations at the previous World Finals after the son had taken some "hero pills" and drove the car out of fuel and into the sand on the last qualifying run. I am just not going to be the one allowing a driver to kill himself, or someone else, if I can help it. So he tells the drivers in the driver's meeting in Houston that I grabbed a loud mouth spectator from the ropes, threw him up on top of the rear wing, taped him down and started the car, with the guy screaming all the while. My drivers come back and are upset that they were embarrassed in the meeting and then Dave Reiff comes by and asks if I want to tell my side on tv. I said no until he tells me what Mr Light has just said on tv.

Mr Light levies a penalty that I am banned from two races, fined 5 grand and am on probation. The Fram rep was in the pits for the shoot and told NHRA immediately that if I wasn't at the races, neither would they be there. I went to the "kangaroo court" appeals equipped with the tape of the event and several videos of other teams with crew members hanging off the wing while they hit the throttle to keep the car from falling off the jacks, and shots of funny cars warming up with the driver closer than our model standing on the rear. I asked for an on air apology from Mr Light (he wouldn't even appear at the appeals hearing) but never received it. NHRA put a gag order on the tape and me to never discuss the details, but since I don't plan on racing again, I told you what really happened. I won't tell about the results of the appeals, and they never reported it either, but I never missed a race.

As far as the potential sponsors, they were kept abreast of the ordeal as it progressed and they decided they didn't want to be involved with an organization that treated it's participants the way they treated us. The other car's sponsor is no longer involved either. So there you have it.

As a side note, I won't ever name the photographers involved as it took a lot of effort by all of us for them to keep their NHRA credentials. One NHRA official who was standing at the ropes while the shoot took place lost his job over the incident because he refused to lie for Mr Light. And I asked Mr Bernstien for PRO's help in defending our team and sponsors against the lies and was told they didn't want to get involved.

Having Bernstien the president of Pro worked out great for Compton and Light. He did everything they wanted and if he needed something they ruled in his favor.

Wow, incredible story, Virgil. I've had little respect for Graham (Dim) Light for a long time anyway, this just reinforces it!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back