Lets have your Indy stories! (1 Viewer)

merc49

Nitro Member
One week from today the track will be opened, cars will be shined and tuned to perfection and ready for some traction action!

What better time than now than to dust off the memory banks, fire up the gray matter software and tell our favorite and best Indy stories! Enhance them if you must, they just get better that way. Indy! Just the word gives me chills.

I started going in 67, the year Gar shaved on the line. I was there when Mulligan passed, when Jim Nicol sawed his car in two, and when Stave Carbone burned down Big Daddy on the line. I saw the Blue Max, torn down into pieces, under the lobby canopy at the Holiday Inn. I saw nitro mini-bike drag racing in the Howard Johnson's motel parking lot, and Indiana State Troopers on the balconies, betting on the outcomes.

I ate breakfast in a restaurant that would only serve scrambled eggs, bacon, and toast. Some guy wanted his eggs doner than they were. Waitress took them back, brought em back doner. He said, "Nope, not done enough." She took em back. The cook yelled, "Tell him if he doesnt like them this time I'm going to burn em, and he WILL eat them!" She brought the eggs back, the guy said "make em doner!" She told the guy what the cook said! He said "ok, burn em!" Sure enough, they came back black as licorice, and sure enough, he ate em!

Did I mention the beer burnouts on 136, while trying to exit the track on Monday? I had NO part in that!

I saw motel curtains torn down and ripped into rags to clean parts with.

I saw walls of empty beer cans stacked floor to ceiling in motel rooms.

And I saw a few things I STILL cannot mention!

And I know a guy personally, who has snuck into the track at Indy, at least one day, for each year the Nationals have BEEN in Indy. He should be awarded a Wally and have a wing in Wally's museum!

Now you! Tell! There are secrets in that brain of yours, it's confession time! Spill it! Remember your first whiff of Nitro? Remember standing for hours near the old rollers waiting for fuel cars to start? Remember the buddy you took to Indy, and his first whiff? Tell! And Oh Yes......

Tell us the stories you've been told! Maybe your old man came home with some stories, or so and so said that so and so said...tell us!

I don't care if they are lies, enhanced, stretched, re-told 1000 times, tell em again! It's Indy time! We want stories!

Now I know there are some stories out there. Tell em, ya got 1 week!
Bob

My first NHRA event was Indy in '79... Silver Anniversary!

Just a couple of memories ...
1. Family Campground - we stayed here because I was almost 12 and it was recommended if you had kids :D Our camping neighbors decided it would be a good idea to not allow passage on NE 1000 unless you could do a burnout. Of course they supplied the water. A tough bit getting the Baptist Church bus driver to spin the tires. Then there was the guy and his girlfriend on a Harley. He put the bike on its side in the ditch. The girlfriend started walking away. he picks up the bike and walks over to console. She would have none of it and he rode off alone.
2. 32 car Top Fuel field
3. No set qualifying sessions
4. Topless entertainment during oil downs.
5. 240-Gordie Bonin became 245-Gordie after upping the speed record - and then winning Funny Car over cinderella Kosty Ivanoff
6. Larry Lombardo redlighting against Bob Glidden in the finals
7. Kelly Brown - Over The Hill Gang - Top Fuel winner
8. Billy Williams won Pro Comp - loved that alky dragster

Ahhh good old Indy! This is the second year in the past 23 in my life that I will not be attending. I would say this track was always one of my faves growing up! Everyday I would be out in the circle track on my bike ridding around and then it was the pit bike and then the 4-wheeler. Funny how things changed with that circle track over the years. When I was really young they never cared if anyone was on it. By the time I got to pit bike age they started caring a little bit. And mind you they had always parked the sponsors cars and big name spectators in the in field for as long as I can remember. At pit bike age, they had officials standing at the wall on the way in. At that time they were more of "lifeguards" over seeing the action. There used to be a bunch of us kids that would go hang out in the circle track until our class got called and we had to go up to the lanes with the parentals. By the time i was mid-old pit bike age they had pretty much cut off access to the circle track. The officials at the gates were no longer "life guards" but more of police figures. They wouldnt let anyone in to joy ride but they were never there as long as the sportsman racers were so once it got later it was back to cruise around the track.

I have always loved the track. Loved the excitement and loved the long weekend and double sized qualifying fields. In the area I grew up the big county fair is the same weekend. Everyone goes to it. I had never been there until i was like 19 and thats only because we broke early in qualifying and packed up and went home.

Indy has also been very special to me because it was were my aunt and uncle used to live. Indy was awesome growing up because we stayed at their house and I got to see/hang out with my cousins that I only saw 3 times a year at most. Indy points meet, Indy nationals and Christmas haha. It was always nice going back to my aunts house after a long day at the track compared to going to a hotel. I can still remeber my aunt would always wait up for us to come into town. It was nice.

My most memerable Indy experience, however, was not a good one. I was probably about 9 and we were pitted along the outside fence back by the circle track. Me and my sister were kicking a soccer ball around to pass the time. I was standing with my back towards the road and she had her back towards the fence. Well I kicked the ball and it got stuck in all the "over growth" that was covering the fence near the top. We went over and both were attempting to get the ball down but neither of us could jump and reach it. So I had a bright idea; break off some the branches from the stuff growing on that fence and use it to get the ball down. So i preceeded and broke a few branches off and using them i jumped into the fence smacked at the ball and got it down. Little did I know that the overgrowth was just some nice weeds but something by the name of poison. Still not sure if it was poison ivy, poison oak or sumac but it was poison. I woke up the next morning unable to open my eyes, unable to see. My face had swollen up like a balloon, literaly. So we went to the track in the morning as usual and I got to pay a visit to the track doctor. My diagnosis: Poison Ivy, bad! My treatment: going into to town to the nearest pharmacy to get a prescription filled for steroids and a mass amount of benedryl. But what was the worst; I had to spend the rest of the day in the truck with the A/C running and the rest of the weekend at the Aunts because of it. I guess poison ivy, sun, and the usual high temps at Indy dont mix.

So theres my accounts of Indy everyone. I dont have any great party stories or any spectacular stories of watching the greats. Comming from a racing family we always were working on the car and getting stuff done in the pits. Friday night under the lights was always a must but other than that the pros were never a big influence. Making our car and our team stronger was more important than spectating.

Hope you enjoyed haha

Ah, my 1st year 1971 when Garlits came off the trailer on a cloudy Thursday(I think) afternnoon and ran a 6:21. Remember it like yesterday. And the beer burnouts on 136 and the Cops with the dogs and tear gas & the portable jail bus with the bars on the windows! And the wheelie contests by bikes in front of the drive in. Man those were the good old days.

Anyone remember Cowboy Bobs in Brownsburg?

Man you guys have me beat! My First Indy was '92 when Kenny B ran the first 300 MPH pass there and did that place go Nuckin Futz! Anyway I can't mention Indy without mentioning the deaths of Blaine Johnson and Elmer Trett! I'll remember Indy '96 like it was yesterday the rest of my life! Wearing a shirt with Blaine's signature from Sonoma on it, people asking me if he had signed it. Not knowing that Blaine had died until 9 PM that night! And then the Tony Pedregon deal in '05? Where his car launched at the starting line? You talk about Screams, I heard more female screams when that happened than a horror movie! I could probably spend a whole day thinking about all of my Indy memories, I'll revisit this post later on today.

My first was 1982, a 7 year old kid walking into the Mecca of Drag racing. Since then I've lost count as to how many I have been to but I think around 10. Among my memories

being at the first bud shoot out and Mr Gasket pro stock challenge (82 and 85)

The awe I had walking in that first year and seeing that many cars.

As a kid getting pictures with the like of
-Garlits and my brother on the starting line 87 or 88

-Buddy Ingersol in his pits and that awesome comp car

-Dick Lahie

-We went to the Indy 500 museum and while walking through it in walks the Snake, so I have another pic as a kid with the Snake but in front of a bunch of old Indy cars.

The last few years its become a tradition that my dad and I head there. Its great hangin with Pops for the weekend. My oldest daughter is now 7 and is begging to go but 3-4 days is a bit long still. I can't wait to be able to take her. She's been to many other national events but is dying to go to Indy.

Our very own Bob Kushon, founder of this thread had a car in the 50th aniversary parade and was kind enough to let me hop in and be in the parade lap.

A couple of years ago I had the pleassure of walking the pits with Bob, Ken and my dad. Holy cow it was like a walking encyclopedia, the memories and knowledge that they shared. It was awesome to to shut up and absorb it all.

Sitting in TEC when Weiss blew in the water box and sent shrapnel our way, nailing a guy a few rows behind us. You always think of stuff flying at the top end.

The silence right after Tony P had the starting line episode nearly running over his crew as people waiting to see if everyone was alright.

Last year a group of maters ended up down track watching the action, joking and laughing, we had a blast. I grew up going to football, baseball and other sport events and of course still go now and its easy to find people into that. Ya get all crazy and hoop and holler, but at the races no one I hung out with was into it. Now I have that group and that makes Indy even better for me now.

-Seeing Densham win, seeing Del win the double and being able to root for people with the team

-Meeting Clay Milican who next to Hillary has to be the nicest person in those pits. 10 seconds in you'd think he had known us forever. Amazing guy

-Seeing John Rogers, the one and only Mr Indy in my book, enjoy the entire Indy experience like nobody else can.

My Indy is not as extensive as some of you but this year will be my 7th trip to Mecca. My first trip was the tragic year of '96. Aside from the tragedies, I have some awesome memories of that first one. I went with my brother and when we first arrived in the Indy area, before we checked in to our hotel, we stopped by the track. This was Thursday afternoon and we just did a drive-by to check out the place. I remember both of us being totally blown away by the number of cars we saw in the staging lanes as I believe Super Gas was running and Super Comp was in the lanes.

Some of my other memories, not necessarily in order:
1. 2004, the 50th with all the classic cars and my first Cacklefest.
2. 2004, we ran down to Whiteland Raceway Park and raced go-karts on the outdoor go-kart track. The karts can push 50mph and there is a 35 degree banked turn on the track there. Alot of fun!
3. 2000, how smokin' hot the weekend was. Sitting in the stands, you tried not moving much as you could feel the sweat running down. I looked over at my brother once, commented that "It's too hot" and he just said "It's f---ing Africa hot!".
4. 1996 and seeing the exhibition cars like Winged Express, Nanook et al, and a pair of jet funny cars. I hadn't seen those cars in years.
5. 1996 and Tony Schumacher's first event, supposed to face Blaine Johnson in the first round but obviously unopposed and just idling down the track after the green light.
6. The number of cars and haulers/transporters you see on the grounds.
7. Union Jack Pub-some great pizza and a buncha different kinds of beer.

It's f---ing Africa hot!".

this is now added to my favorite lines of all time

Go Karts?!?!? Ya know Sunday gets out kinda early, a mater square off at go kart land? have to check to see how much they are

Back in the 60s we built enough bullets to get qualified. Every pass the car was set on kill. All we could do was hope we had enough parts left for eliminations. There were always some in the early years who on the last chance to make the field would add hydrazine. You could hear the sound difference and we'd all get behind something and watch knowing it was about to rain parts.

I grew up wanting to go to Indy..... one problem.... I lived in Australia!

Being born into Drag Racing I had no chice but to be obsessed with the sport from a young age. From memorizing our Diamond P videos over the summer break, to reading every single page and ad in SS&DI, DRM, National Dragster and any othe rag that covered Drag Racing.

The USA is the home of Drag Racing and from a young age I wanted to "go to the drags in America". Indy was where I most wanted to go. The hallowed grounds of Indianapolis Raceway Park have the appeal, the legend that very few places have. In my opinion it is right up there with Yankees Stadium, Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Daytona. Indy WAS Drag Racing.

My first NHRA experience wasn't at Indy, but the Pomona Finals in 1992 as a wide eyed 15 year old....... FAST FORWARD 13 years.....

In 2004 I was offered the opportunity to work and live in the USA, I jumped at the opportunity as I had always had an affection for the US, mainly due to the roots of Drag Racing, and living and working abroad had always been something that I had wished to do. I love meeting new people and experiencing new cultures. On June 20 2005 my wife, my son and I touched down on US soil and began the process of settling in Texas.

Two weeks after arriving in the US while still living in a hotel, before finding a house, before finding a car, before finalising school arrangements for my son.... before ANYTHING, I had my first trip to Indy booked and confirmed complete with tickets to the Top Eliminator Club!

I eagerly flew into Indianapolis on the Thursday afteroon and settle into Adams Mark and had a couple of quiet beverages at the bar before settling into bed for the night.

Friday morning I cruised out to the track and picked up my TEC tickets from the competitor entry gate behind the starting line, bumping into Pro Stock driver Allen Johnson and PSM rider Andrew Hines in the porcess. I wished them luck and made my way into the track. I was like a kid whose Christmases had all come at once..... I was actually AT INDIANAPOLIS RACEWAY PARK... I had made it!

The day is mostly a blur as I wandered around sampling the sights and sounds of an NHRA race that had not stimulated my senses in over 13 years.

The one thing that does stick out about my first Indy trip was meeting a group of guys who were sitting right by me in the Top Eliminator Club. After exchanging a few pleasantries and a little bench racing they discovered I wasn't a "local" and the rest they say is history! My good mate Hank Lannoo was one of those guys who I immeadiatly struck a friendship with as we are like two peas in a pod, trying to stump each other with trivia and random tidbits of information. Hank normally gets the better of me though as he has a few more years of Indy under his belt.... he has been going since the 60's and he drives down from IL every year. It's kinda funny how age is no barrier as both Hank and I are like two kids in a candy store at the races.

As my first day at Indy wrapped up the bleachers emptied and most people had left the track. I decided to kick back for a bit and wait for the traffic to clear before hitting the road. I took a minute and went up to my seat in the TEC and just sat there, looking at the empty track,the empty bleachers, the bridge behind the starting line and just soaked up the Indy atmosphere.

I reflected on everything that I had ever heard, seen or read about Indy and the US Nationals. The 'Goose beating the Snake in '78 after losing his son Jamie to leukemia, Jim Nicoll's car breaking in two and a distraught Don Prudhomme saying that he thought he might quit racing, my drag racing hero Bob Glidden's incredible string of final round appearances, the Snakes mind blowing and engine destroying 5.63 in his Pepsi Challenger, Pat Austin exploding the blower in the burnout robbing him of doubling up in TF and TAFC after taking over Gary Ormsby's TF operation after Gary's death, Big Daddy returning in 2001 in Clapshaw's car and those who have lost their lives.

It was like my pilgrimage to my place was complete. It took me 28 years, 8 months, 26 days and halfway around the world to get there, but I was there.

At that moment, even with the empty stands, empty racetrack and rare silence that you find on race weekends, I confirmed what I had always thought, Indy didn't need all of the noise, colour and excitement to get my heart beating.

Indy IS DRAG RACING, and always will be.

Awesome story, Paul! Now I really can't wait to get there.
I splurged on TEC tickets too and can't wait - leaving home on Tuesday!

Being born into Drag Racing I had no chice but to be obsessed with the sport from a young age. From memorizing our Diamond P videos over the summer break, to reading every single page and ad in SS&DI, DRM, National Dragster and any othe rag that covered Drag Racing.

The USA is the home of Drag Racing and from a young age I wanted to "go to the drags in America". Indy was where I most wanted to go. The hallowed grounds of Indianapolis Raceway Park have the appeal, the legend that very few places have. In my opinion it is right up there with Yankees Stadium, Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Daytona. Indy WAS Drag Racing.

My first NHRA experience wasn't at Indy, but the Pomona Finals in 1992 as a wide eyed 15 year old....... FAST FORWARD 13 years.....

In 2004 I was offered the opportunity to work and live in the USA, I jumped at the opportunity as I had always had an affection for the US, mainly due to the roots of Drag Racing, and living and working abroad had always been something that I had wished to do. I love meeting new people and experiencing new cultures. On June 20 2005 my wife, my son and I touched down on US soil and began the process of settling in Texas.

Two weeks after arriving in the US while still living in a hotel, before finding a house, before finding a car, before finalising school arrangements for my son.... before ANYTHING, I had my first trip to Indy booked and confirmed complete with tickets to the Top Eliminator Club!

I eagerly flew into Indianapolis on the Thursday afteroon and settle into Adams Mark and had a couple of quiet beverages at the bar before settling into bed for the night.

Friday morning I cruised out to the track and picked up my TEC tickets from the competitor entry gate behind the starting line, bumping into Pro Stock driver Allen Johnson and PSM rider Andrew Hines in the porcess. I wished them luck and made my way into the track. I was like a kid whose Christmases had all come at once..... I was actually AT INDIANAPOLIS RACEWAY PARK... I had made it!

The day is mostly a blur as I wandered around sampling the sights and sounds of an NHRA race that had not stimulated my senses in over 13 years.

The one thing that does stick out about my first Indy trip was meeting a group of guys who were sitting right by me in the Top Eliminator Club. After exchanging a few pleasantries and a little bench racing they discovered I wasn't a "local" and the rest they say is history! My good mate Hank Lannoo was one of those guys who I immeadiatly struck a friendship with as we are like two peas in a pod, trying to stump each other with trivia and random tidbits of information. Hank normally gets the better of me though as he has a few more years of Indy under his belt.... he has been going since the 60's and he drives down from IL every year. It's kinda funny how age is no barrier as both Hank and I are like two kids in a candy store at the races.

As my first day at Indy wrapped up the bleachers emptied and most people had left the track. I decided to kick back for a bit and wait for the traffic to clear before hitting the road. I took a minute and went up to my seat in the TEC and just sat there, looking at the empty track,the empty bleachers, the bridge behind the starting line and just soaked up the Indy atmosphere.

I reflected on everything that I had ever heard, seen or read about Indy and the US Nationals. The 'Goose beating the Snake in '78 after losing his son Jamie to leukemia, Jim Nicoll's car breaking in two and a distraught Don Prudhomme saying that he thought he might quit racing, my drag racing hero Bob Glidden's incredible string of final round appearances, the Snakes mind blowing and engine destroying 5.63 in his Pepsi Challenger, Pat Austin exploding the blower in the burnout robbing him of doubling up in TF and TAFC after taking over Gary Ormsby's TF operation after Gary's death, Big Daddy returning in 2001 in Clapshaw's car and those who have lost their lives.

It was like my pilgrimage to my place was complete. It took me 28 years, 8 months, 26 days and halfway around the world to get there, but I was there.

At that moment, even with the empty stands, empty racetrack and rare silence that you find on race weekends, I confirmed what I had always thought, Indy didn't need all of the noise, colour and excitement to get my heart beating.

Paul, this is an epic tale! Wish you could come this year. I hear there's beer there.:D

My diagnosis: Poison Ivy, bad! My treatment: going into to town to the nearest pharmacy to get a prescription filled for steroids and a mass amount of benedryl.
Wow! The fella I spoke of in my opening post...who has snuck in all these years, he took his son and daughter one year. While sneaking in they all got into the ivy! He nearly lost his marriage over that mess!

I could probably spend a whole day thinking about all of my Indy memories, I'll revisit this post later on today.
Maybe you could post a few eye candy memories! We want photos, not the gory details!

Our very own Bob Kushon, founder of this thread had a car in the 50th aniversary parade and was kind enough to let me hop in and be in the parade lap.

A couple of years ago I had the pleassure of walking the pits with Bob, Ken and my dad. Holy cow it was like a walking encyclopedia, the memories and knowledge that they shared. It was awesome to to shut up and absorb it all.
PJ, you flatter an old man! Thank you. But I have to tell you, you only got into the Merc for the parade because I was afraid 'dshed tears if I said no! Just teasing! The sad part is I wish Ken would still want to go. Damn!

(And btw, how'd I do on the multi-quotes? I had a great teacher!)
7. Union Jack Pub-some great pizza and a buncha different kinds of beer.
Oh man! I haven't been to Union Jack's in years!

Awesome story, Paul! Now I really can't wait to get there.
I splurged on TEC tickets too and can't wait - leaving home on Tuesday!
Cheryl, your assignment after Indy is to pull up this thread and add your thoughts to it. We can't wait! And while I'm at it, thank you everyone for contributing. You've turned my little thread into a blockbuster! Now, anyone got any nitro-newbie stories to add?

I can't believe Paul didn't mention our episode at Hooters???:p;):eek:
I can't believe Paul left off

I can't believe Paul didn't mention our episode at Hooters???:p;):eek:

Actually, I did leave Joe off that list of my first trip to Indy. Joe was an absolute champ that weekend.

He came and met me at Adams Mark and taught me the back road to the track to avoid all of the traffic.

We also went out and grabbed some wings at Hooters which is a bit of a tradition when going anywhere with Joe.

Joe also invited me along to IMS to have a look around on Saturday morning which was really cool, I took my Dad there the next year when he came to Indy with me.

The biggest thing I left out of my story was that while sitting at the bar on Monday night at the hotel before flying out Tuesday, the one and only Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins pulled up at the bar and sat right next to me and he struck up a little conversation.

I gotta tell you, going to the US Nationals and sitting at the bar talking to the Grump ranks right up there.

Now I am just waiting for the thread titled "Tell Us Your Ketchup Stories" and I will tell you about the time I went to Hooters with Joe and John Rogers! ;)

great story Paul

Kecthup and John nooooo you must be kidding :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back