War Stories Showdown Resumes Tommorrow (1 Viewer)

Bobby Bennett

Nitro Member
Second round kicks off Friday morning with blockbuster match …

It was the greatest race that never happened and luckily for John Force it didn’t.

“I would have been crying so much that I couldn’t have raced,” said Force, a 14-time NHRA Funny Car Champion.

Force crosses paths on Friday with his quarterfinals opponent Shirley Muldowney in the second annual CompetitionPlus.com War Stories. This unique contest pits sixteen drag racing figures in a head-to-head competition to determine who can tell the best drag racing story. Readers vote on the stories and the winners advance in competition while paired on an NHRA professional eliminations ladder.

“You have your heroes and for me, these were the people who inspired me when I couldn’t win,” Force admitted. “I never beat the people like Don Prudhomme, Raymond Beadle or Kenny Bernstein to win a championship and I’m glad because they were my heroes coming up. Then you had those people like Don Garlits and Shirley, well she was in a class of her own.”

Force came within a hair of withdrawing when he found his opponent was Muldowney.

“I get psyched up for this like it is a real race and when you race like I do, you get fired up to go for the kill,” Force admitted. “I was sitting around at Christmas with my girls and they told me I had to race Shirley and it took all the wind out of my sails.”

Explaining why he wanted to withdraw spawned a story of not having enough money to race at the first event he won, misplacing Ashley in the afternoon and then winning the event only to discover there was no television crew. Then he crossed paths with Shirley.

The editors of CompetitionPlus.com condensed and edited down a nearly 30 minute story from Force.

Muldowney, the first lady of drag racing, enters their match with lane choice. Lane choice determines who tells their story first, and the four-time Top Fuel champion earned that by scoring more votes than Force in the first round.

“When you come up in the sport the way he did, you’re bound to have some stories to tell,” Muldowney said. “I’m looking forward to the challenge.”

Her story is a real side-splitter which runs the gamut of excitement and laughter, and of course, some good old fighting.

The other match scheduled for tomorrow features another four-time champion in Gary Scelzi and he’s up against Chris Kaufmann, who upset the team of Bob and Etta Glidden in the first round.

The “B” side of the ladder kicks off on Monday, January 5 with a fierce battle between “Waterbed” Fred Miller and Pat Musi.

“Big Daddy” Don Garlits and Kenny Nowling close out the second round.

Let me tell you ... I just got through laying out the Shirley and Force stories, I have never laughed so hard in my life.

They left nothing on the table this time -- not even an Ashtray. LOL

Wow, the Force/Muldowney race was a hard one to decide on! They were both great. I would have loved to see the unedited Force story, I bet it was even funnier!
Thanks, Bobby!

The Scelzi story is a classic. I remember listening to Bubba that day and it was radio gold! Scelzi with a 12 pack in him was absolutely hilarious.

My God, I can't pick... :confused:

I'll have to think on that one for the day. That's like a photo finish with John and Shirley.

Being from MN, I'd LOVE to know who the football player was involved in Muldowney's story!

Think the clocks went bad on the run between Shirl and Force. I'd send em back for service and a re-run.

I am Shirley could do it. But would John get it to the line in time?

Great stories, and it looks like 2 of the greatest drag racing story tellers of all time are on a collision course! This should be good.

What, did I miss a "too good to leave up on the site" story again???? Where are Big and Kenny??? Dammit!!!

Never mind, I found the answer on the CompPlus forum. Why even put the stories up in the first place - can't you see it coming?
LAME
Guess it goes to show how good an idea the War Stories Showdown is...I get so excited to read more stories that I get pissed when they run out!

Promise you the Scelzi versus Force semis won't be lame.

LOL, seems like there's at least one story each year.

One out of seventeen, I can deal with those odds.

So the garlits story was taken down , thats a shame . I am not exactly a fan of censorship in fact I think that if you are aware something may be offensive yet read it anyway and get offended then thats your problem for choosing to read it . Oh well I will just have to wait and read the rest of the stories .

DON GARLITS VS. KENNY NOWLING

THE "OH MY GOSH THEY KILLED KENNY" STORY

The spirit of the War Stories competition is one of competitors telling tales of being on the road and sometimes outlandish antics. The story Don Garlits submitted in the quarter-finals, The Indestructible Connie Kalitta, featured a tale about what he said he witnessed during a match race with Shirley Muldowney in the 1970s. Ms. Muldowney alleged the details in the story are inaccurate and offered to tell her side of the story.

Since this story would have involved other parties, we just felt it was best for the spirit of the competition to declare an early victory for Garlits who held a 50% percent voting lead after 12 hours. Traditionally no one has ever overcome a 15% lead much less a 50%.

In a perfect world such decisions are black and white. There is a winner and there is a loser. In this case Garlits was declared the victor and the unfortunate loser being Nowling, who was through no fault of his own, denied the opportunity to even bridge the gap.

All we can do is chalk the experience up to just that -- an experience. If you want to know the whole story you'll have to ask Garlits or Muldowney, as I am sure they will be all too eager to tell you.

We still feel the CompetitionPlus.com War Stories is one of the most exciting and fan off-season events in drag racing and will continue to serve as one for years to come.

It's unfortunate we had to kill Kenny in the process. - Bobby Bennett

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back