Lets have your Indy stories! (2 Viewers)

OK, here's one I told before, but it's a favorite of mine...I took my son-in-law Dennis...

I remember taking my son-in-law to the Big Go a few years back. We just went for Monday elims. Reserved seats, halfway up, west stands. It was the year Blaine died. And Elmer Trett.

We get there before the scheduled warm-up time and head for the pits. There were about 12 of us altogether. We split up in small groups and went our own way and agreed to meet in our seats just before the parade and the memorial service for Blaine and Elmer.

Now Dennis (son-in-law) was confident he knew all about drag racing! "I seen it on TNN all the time!" he said! Yeah, right! Well, we sign our names on a big card at Blaine’s trailer and just about a minute later someone lights one
off!

"WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?" says Dennis! I tell him it's John Force warming up
his flopper and ask if he wants to get closer! He says yeah and we move in!
We get there just about as most of the others in the crowd get their first
big dose and start to move away. Dennis pays no attention to the gasping,
crying crowd as he rushes in and gets his first face-full! Damn kid almost
knocked me down running out of there!

To make a long story short, now he thinks he's a know-it-all! Had his nitro
baptism! Needless to say, when we got to our seats and he finally got to see
fuelers and floppers in anger, he was hooked!

Well, I guess he wasn't all that hooked after all. I did get him to go to a LODRS event, but that's it. Sigh.

Went to Indy 1978-80, but the first time was magical. Getting there late Wednesday night and after turning down East Street, there to the left, laying in waiting, one funny car Chaparral trailer after another! Goosebumps#! Mike and I slept in the car four nights and bathed at the Holiday Inn pool! Fun times!
Impressions of Indy;
shear amount of race cars.
Ramdom Pro qualifying
Hanging with the Kalb's.
Pro Stocker's, after leaving the ET booth, banging through the gears, clicking the motor, and coasting 50+mph down the return road.
Pro's beating motors apart and warming them up in the staging lanes.
Corn on the cobb with extra salt.
Hugh boxes of free Jolly Rancher candies in the Abbott pits.
Divine intervention as the Snake shakes the tires and Goose cruises to a 6:05 win! Goosebumps#2
The folklore of who parked on the slab.
Kentucky Airstreams and the show us your $its night shows.
500+ miles home after being at Indy, priceless.
RO

It is August of 2003. David had come to me in April and declared that he wanted to do something that was tied to charity. I spent the better part of a month investigating some different opportunities, but the one that really stood out was an organization called Hunter's Hope. Founded by NFL Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly and named after his son Hunter, the foundation was assembled to raise money to fight Krabbe's disease.

The outline was simple: We would wrap the car stem to stern, have t-shirts pressed for the even, sell the tshirts and 100% off all the money raised went to the charity. Jim offered to pay for the wrap, and David refused. We found a guy local in Indy that offered to wrap the car for the cost of material alone just to be part of something special. We set up the vinyl printer in my hotel room and actually stayed up all night cutting the vinyl stickers.

The turnout was incredible, as it always is in Indy. And in this crazy, magical moment in qualifying I'm standing there on the starting line and we run 4.504 seconds and put it on the pole on a night run that brought every fan to their feet cheering for us, for our cause, and for Hunter.

And then rain delayed us a week, and qualifying would continue.

For a week, David and our team hoped and prayed we would be able to pull this off. Qualify #1 at the biggest race of the year with this little boys face on the side of the car. For a week, nothing else even mattered.

We came back a week later, and sure enough we got bumped. I can't remember if it was Larry Dixon, or one of the Kallita cars but I remember they ran 4.501 and bumped us by .003. I remember Johnny West going back to ignition box mumbling about how he wasn't taking that lying down (he used more four letter words then that lol).

I remember standing there while she popped on the starting line, and how the engine was clearly pissed off. It was like the car knew what was going on...like it knew what needed to be done.

I've never seen a car leave as hard from the starting line as our did that day. And when the 4.499 came up on the score board, our entire team didn't know whether to scream, or just fall to our knees and cry. But one thing we did know:

Hunter was #1 that day.

I will remember that run for the rest of my life.

hunter.jpg

Last edited:
It is August of 2003. David had come to me in April and declared that he wanted to do something that was tied to charity. I spent the better part of a month investigating some different opportunities, but the one that really stood out was an organization called Hunter's Hope. Founded by NFL Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly and named after his son Hunter, the foundation was assembled to raise money to fight Krabbe's disease.

The outline was simple: We would wrap the car stem to stern, have t-shirts pressed for the even, sell the tshirts and 100% off all the money raised went to the charity. Jim offered to pay for the wrap, and David refused. We found a guy local in Indy that offered to wrap the car for the cost of material alone just to be part of something special. We set up the vinyl printer in my hotel room and actually stayed up all night cutting the vinyl stickers.

The turnout was incredible, as it always is in Indy. And in this crazy, magical moment in qualifying I'm standing there on the starting line and we run 4.504 seconds and put it on the pole on a night run that brought every fan to their feet cheering for us, for our cause, and for Hunter.

And then rain delayed us a week, and qualifying would continue.

For a week, David and our team hoped and prayed we would be able to pull this off. Qualify #1 at the biggest race of the year with this little boys face on the side of the car. For a week, nothing else even mattered.

We came back a week later, and sure enough we got bumped. I can't remember if it was Larry Dixon, or one of the Kallita cars but I remember they ran 4.501 and bumped us by .003. I remember Johnny West going back to ignition box mumbling about how he wasn't taking that lying down (he used more four letter words then that lol).

I remember standing there while she popped on the starting line, and how the engine was clearly pissed off. It was like the car knew what was going on...like it knew what needed to be done.

I've never seen a car leave as hard from the starting line as our did that day. And when the 4.499 came up on the score board, our entire team didn't know whether to scream, or just fall to our knees and cry. But one thing we did know:

Hunter was #1 that day.

I will remember that run for the rest of my life.

And that story gives me goosebumps, great story!

1991-had the honor of taking my dad (who got his start at Santa Ana) to the promised land. Great trip and tons of fun. Never forget that first barbeque brat sandwich. Never forgot going 2mph for hours leaving the place.

Mark

My first ever trip to INDY was for the LODRS race in 2002. As we were pulling onto the property through the north west pit gate, the first thing I saw was a small airplane parked off to the left. Keep in mind, I had never been there so I had no idea where the actual drag strip was located in relation to the plane. I later find out the plane was parked at the end of the shut down area. After we set up our pit I logged onto NHRA dot com from my cell phone and the headline read something like this..... "Small plane lands at IRP, pilot mistakes drag strip for nearby airport"

I couldn't find the story on NHRA's site but I did find this article on the web...

copy/paste
A single-engine aircraft preparing to land at Indiana's Eagle Creek Airport, instead landed on the drag strip at Indianapolis Raceway Park. The 66-year-old pilot reportedly mistook the drag strip for a runway at the nearby airport. Federal Aviation Administration inspectors grounded the aircraft until the necessary paperwork could be completed. No one was injured during the incident and fortunately no cars were racing at the time.

Later that first night I was sitting in our friend's motor coach watching a video tape of the 1969 US Nationals on his big screen TV. I can't describe the feeling of knowing that I was only a few feet from where that footage was actually filmed...... I'm AT Indy!

I went back to INDY for the US Nationals later that same year and again for the 50th in 2004. A few of the things that stand out in my memory.....

I got to watch Big Daddy go over 300 mph in a "Swamp Rat" for the first time ever. (318.54) It happened in the 5th round of qualifying which put Big in the show...... then Yuichi Oyama bumped him back out on the very next pass by .003

This was also the first and only time I've ever seen Big run in person. I'm thankful that I got to see make his last pass ever in competition.

Top Alcohol Dragster rookie, John Haley won the TAD category in his first US Nationals appearance. John hired Frank Hawley and Ronnie Swearingen to tune his car that season but if it wasn't for John's driving skills, they never would have made it to the final. John is a local guy and I was happy to see him get the win!

Needing a brake line part from NAPA and not having a vehicle to drive there....... riding a 30 mph Honda scooter (pit bike) on 50 mph roads. :eek: never again!

Being dragged along to the "Gold Club" in downtown INDY with our friends from Missouri. :D

I'm sure I'll have a few more memories to add later.

Brian. :)

Last edited:
I got to watch Big Daddy go over 300 mph in a "Swamp Rat" for the first time ever. (318.54) It happened in the 5th round of qualifying which put Big in the show...... then Yuichi Oyama bumped him back out on the very next pass by .003

When Oyama bumped Big it was SOO quiet you could hear a Pin drop! Seeing a Japanese racer bump out a legend like Garlits at an American Drag race was something nobody was expecting!:eek:

OK, my Indy story goes like this.
Cousin and I planned a 2 month holiday in the states, never any doubt it would include the race on Labour Day weekend 1988. Two days before that I was in hospital in Irvine CA getting my busted knee looked at ( don't ask - let's just say it includes girls, a bus and Miller beer ). The 3 days we spend at the track were surreal. Seeing my racing heroes Snake, Amato and Mr Bob Glidden were something I could not believe. Seeing them in magazines is one thing but ..... We were lucky enough to meet up again with a guy who ran a large speed shop who had a trailer on the midway (met him before @ Etown). After we spend some more $$$, he saw I was having trouble walking around because of my busted knee (pity the official at the bridge behind the staging lanes never saw this:mad: made me struggle over the bridge instead of just walking around) He kindly gave us tickets to his private suite so we had free beers all day.Finals time we went up to the roof, and watched all the Pro finals from the roof, on the tower at Indy ! Life does not get any better than that moment. Memories that have lasted a lifetime.
One thing I do remember is how expensive it was - think I paid $48 a ticket in 1988. No ADRL around then .....
and if the AUD $ stays strong I'm planning on bringing my wife and son next year so they can experience it too !

cheers,
Mark.

I have 3 to share:

1) The Bounty Hunter beating Ed Hill in the 1994 final. Steve Evans asked Connie what he would do if he won the race, he replied "I don't know".

2) Being there in 1989 (I think) with Della Woods, her son Dean & Husband De. That was really fun. And truly my first "pit side hospitality" experience with my pizza-making friends from Oxford, Mi !!!!

3) I was also there the year my "OTHER" buddy from Oxford, Michigan - Wayne Bailey, DEFEATED Gary Ormsby & Lee Beard and the Castrol GTX Monsters,,, in round 1. Wayne-O got some national TV time with the blue-bandit dragster.... literally a homebuilt, rag tag top fueler!!!! Beard got the tune up wrong, and Wayne-O puttered past for the win. He was in absolute shock. He was so nervous servicing the car for round 2 it's hilarious thinking about it now. I love ya' Wayne.... rest in peace, buddy... and take off that damn hat!!!!!!! LOL And I have to say hello to his daughters - Mel, Harm & Nikki..... I'll never for get you guys!!!!!

Not in the order of importance to me but:

1) Best memory first time we ran family TF car at Indy during qualifing ran along side Big, Shirley and Amato. Knew we had made it at that point.
2) Waking up at river pointe suites the morning after a certain well funded funny car won the Bud and finding the pool side furniture neatly arranged at the bottom of the pool.
3) one year it rained so hard that the sportsman pit flooded and we got to watch them dive into the water to hook up chains to pull their trailers out.
4) Standing on the starting line watching a local racer we watched grow and mature while driving a SC dragster and a jet car debute the Army TF car.
5) Watching the look as we drove in the front gate on what was then my best friends face. you see I was told by the doctors who were treating his cancer that he was dying and would be dead by years end. he proved them wrong by making it and I am told to this day attends yearly.

I have a million Indy stories about family, other racers, friends and fans etc... won't take up any more space but will end by saying... INDY GOT TO BE THERE it is a happenig that you won't find any where else on earth!

to many years, to many memories. sleeping on the ground across the street fromthe track at the drive in theater. big kickin darrel gywns butt. people throwing tv's in the pool at the holiday inn, from the second or third floor. the contest to see who could get the best pit spot. it goes on and on. then there was the year this aussie kid sat behind us in tec. paul rogers, he is a freaking book of knowledge on drag racing. being a glidden fan for life, who does he meet at the bar of the hotel the grump. paulie, i'm glad we met. indy brings out the best.

My first ever trip to INDY was for the LODRS race in 2002. As we were pulling onto the property through the north west pit gate, the first thing I saw was a small airplane parked off to the left. Keep in mind, I had never been there so I had no idea where the actual drag strip was located in relation to the plane. I later find out the plane was parked at the end of the shut down area. After we set up our pit I logged onto NHRA dot com from my cell phone and the headline read something like this..... "Small plane lands at IRP, pilot mistakes drag strip for nearby airport"

I couldn't find the story on NHRA's site but I did find this article on the web...

copy/paste

Later that first night I was sitting in our friend's motor coach watching a video tape of the 1969 US Nationals on his big screen TV. I can't describe the feeling of knowing that I was only a few feet from where that footage was actually filmed...... I'm AT Indy!

I went back to INDY for the US Nationals later that same year and again for the 50th in 2004. A few of the things that stand out in my memory.....

This was also the first and only time I've ever seen Big run in person. I'm thankful that I got to see make his last pass ever in competition.

Top Alcohol Dragster rookie, John Haley won the TAD category in his first US Nationals appearance. John hired Frank Hawley and Ronnie Swearingen to tune his car that season but if it wasn't for John's driving skills, they never would have made it to the final. John is a local guy and I was happy to see him get the win!

Needing a brake line part from NAPA and not having a vehicle to drive there....... riding a 30 mph Honda scooter (pit bike) on 50 mph roads. :eek: never again!

Being dragged along to the "Gold Club" in downtown INDY with our friends from Missouri. :D

I'm sure I'll have a few more memories to add later.

Brian. :)
Gar actually did that a year or 2 before......was around 302.00......I rember Yuichi getting boored mercifly when he knocked out "Big"

Some of my Indy memories include the first year I went in 1988, (I was 8) I remember Bob Glidden winning that year. I also remember the buzz around the place after Gene Snow went the 5.00 in the semis, then the throttle cable broke 100 foot out in the final and Joe Amato peddling 4-5 times to win it.
Next memory I have was in 1991 wneh Pat Austin won in TA/FC and then popped the blower in the Top Fuel final. I also remember the moment of silence for Gary Ormsby in the opening ceremonies that year as well.

I remember in 2003 when Tim Wilkerson won funny car, and I was going crazy.

Some of my Indy memories include the first year I went in 1988, (I was 8) I remember Bob Glidden winning that year. I also remember the buzz around the place after Gene Snow went the 5.00 in the semis, then the throttle cable broke 100 foot out in the final and Joe Amato peddling 4-5 times to win it.

I was there in 1988 as well. Snow ran 5.06 in Rd 2 and 5.00 in the semis. The place went nuts. A few other things about that edition...

Weather was typical warm/humid until late Sunday afternoon during the final qualifying session for Top Fuel. A cold front blew in and it rained for about 45 minutes. Most people left but those who stayed saw a lot of bumping/shuffling with the better conditions. Then driving in on Monday the temps were in the low 40s... I will never forget a guy throwing his last lawn chair on the camp fire over at the theater.

Gary Southern obliterated the Alcohol Dragster field. It was the debut of the PSI screw blower. That thing just looked mean compared to the roots blowers. He would have a half-car lead at 1000'.

The Funny Car final was awsome - the Ace beat Bernstein on a holeshot. I wanna say it was a 5.34 - 5.32 final.

My first time was 1969. Memories are a little cloudy as we stayed in a trailer in the drive-in across the street. I remember tear gas and troopers herding up the drunks. I was not drinking, so I was spared. I looked the trooper in the eye and told him to smell my breath for booze. He declined and told me to get out of there. YES SIR!!! I booked out of there.

When the drive in was clearing out you could see the mess. Including the trash bag that was filled up from the waste tank of a camping trailer.

Oh, there was racing too. Danny Ongias won in Mickey Thompson's Mustang and I have some photos from the top end after the run.

Can't remember if it was '69 or '70, but we were in the staging lanes when one of the Barracuda pro stockers was doing burnouts and he smashed in to Bo Laws Camaro. Just a few seconds earlier my brother was standing at the back of Bo's car.

I remember 1970 because we ran our '68 chevy II B-Stocker. Did not do too well, but we were at the freakin NHRA NATIONALS for crying out loud!! I also remember sitting in the west side bleachers on Monday getting all kinds of parts launched at us by the top fuelers that were using Hydrazine. I also remember the final with Snake and Jim Nicoll....still sends chills up my spine.
Dan

I don't even have enough time to write down all of my Indy memories. It started for me back in '67, I was a little kid, and my dad ran A/A back then. He raced there in '67, '69, & '70 and I would look forward to the boatload of T-shirts and decals he would bring home. The '69 Indy photo section had a pic of him head-on launching with the front end a foot off the ground, we went crazy. In '71, he took our whole family, and I have a ton of memories from that year alone:

Seeing the Mongoose pull in to our motel with his ramp truck (I was 8 and this was the Hot Wheels era!)
Tom Hoover also stayed at our motel.
Watching my dad & his guys convert one of the motel rooms into a shop, the bathtub became a parts-washer!
Fire-ups in the motel parking lot.
Walking over and seeing Big's new rear-engine car, he was literally still limping from his accident.
Having my dad introduce me to Willy Borsch.
Leaving the motel at 5 a.m. to head to the track to get in line for class runoffs (there were like 16 A/As that year!)
The incredible rain-storm that delayed the finals a day.

I post more later, from all the years we've gone since.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back