What year were gloves required (1 Viewer)

CoBro1997

Nitro Member
I know this is kind of a funny question but what year were gloves required in Pro Stock. I was watching some videos from the 90s and know a few racers like Glidden didnt wear them and some did but didn't know what year they were required

I am not sure what year it was, but any changes to safety equipment for the driver I am all in. Most of the time safety changes are made after the horse is out of the barn. I have attended many safety meetings for fire suits an other items. I know some have complained about some safety changes and the cost to make the changes, the driver has only one life or one body to protect. I have seen many of my friends hurt or worse that were the reason for changes that were made afterwards. Please always look for what IF and try to improve it. safety first then go as fast as you can.
Larry Sutton---Lions Starter and racer (ret.)🤠

Safety Equipment Rules a lot of the time are related to Speeds & E.T.'s. When a class average Speed &/or E.T.'s get to a certain point the safety equipment mandate kicks in. We basically build our own Safety rules with performance. A bone stock Yugo doesn't need a SFI 20 Firesuit and 2 20 lb. fire bottles.

Through the late 80's (maybe 90's?) they were still wearing open faced helmets. Bob Glidden stands out to me, but I'm sure there were many others.

I always thought that was crazy!

Speaking of Goggles/open faced helmets... Not to change series but wasn't it amazing how NASCAR allowed Dale Earnhardt all those years to wear those goofy bubble goggles? (I was convinced Dale would some day die in a fire with those silly things melted to his face) He had some serious power over NASCAR and you can bet they tip toed around that deal. I wouldn't be surprised he told them it was the goggles or no Dale. Thankfully we've come a long way since "back then men were men" and smartened up and accepted safety devices.

And as of last year, I saw Fuel Hydros still driven with no gloves. Can't remember anything about clothing.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back