What if this happens at Indy next year? (1 Viewer)

Top four in Top Fuel right now
Doug Kalitta
Tony Schumacher
Brandon Bermstein
Melanie Troxel

Which one of those is the joke?

In Funny Car
Ron Capps
John Force
Robert Hight
Tony Pedregon

Same Question? You want Pro Stock too?

Alan

Alan- You are killing these people with logic!

Doug Kalitta
Tony Schumacher
Brandon Bermstein
Melanie Troxel

In Funny Car
Ron Capps
John Force
Robert Hight
Tony Pedregon

Alan

With the new format, all those above could be eliminated when we get down to the final four.

Doug Kalitta
Tony Schumacher
Brandon Bermstein
Melanie Troxel

In Funny Car
Ron Capps
John Force
Robert Hight
Tony Pedregon

Alan

Ohhh..so you want to keep it the way it is?? Looks to be a pretty good battle to the end..in all 4 categories. And if one of those gets hot and runs away with it..they deserve it..right?

OK, The 5th through 8th in Top Fuel are
David Grubnic
Rod Fuller
Larry Dixon
Morgan Lucas

Which one of them is the joke?

Funny Car
Eric Medlin
Tommy Johnson jr.
Gary Scelzi
Whit Bazemore

Same Question? Where's the joke?

Alan

I don'r really have much of an opinion either way... But regarding Tony Stewart, if Home Depot was gonna get mad about something (which they shouldn't), they should be mad about the team not performing well enough to make the chase.

I really can't see how Morgan Lucas and/or Larry Dixon would be legitimate champions. Larry Dixon has been to one final this year, and Morgan has been to none. Not to mention Morgan has hurt a ton of parts and went from Columbus to Brainerd without winning one round. That's not to say that he can't turn things around and win a race before the end of the year, in fact he has looked better over the past few races. If he turns things around and wins a race or two he might move up to fifth which is where he would deserve to be. To place him above someone like Doug Kalitta who has won 5 races and had the most consistent car all year, or to rank him above Tony Schumacher after the charge he's been making since St.Louis would be an injustice.

David Grubnic
Rod Fuller
Larry Dixon
Morgan Lucas

Funny Car
Eric Medlin
Tommy Johnson jr.
Gary Scelzi
Whit Bazemore

Alan
There isn't a joke in the bunch. I know where you stand, Alan..and it's all cool. I'm just wondering why they feel the need to make such a drastic change. And using your list..it's been another good year in all categories.

David Grubnic
Rod Fuller
Larry Dixon
Morgan Lucas

Funny Car
Eric Medlin
Tommy Johnson jr.
Gary Scelzi
Whit Bazemore

Alan
I don't think any of them are a "joke", but, I also don't think that point deficits ranging from 339 to 444 points behind the leaders in each of the four Pro categories being reduced down to what would be less than four rounds behind going into the events left to be contested to be right.

I've seen the opinions posted here trying to compare this to playoffs conducted in other sports. Those other sports complete a regular season, THEN they go into their playoff formats. This is nothing like that, because the regular season continues in conjunction with the playoffs.

NASCAR screwed up their championship format in my opinion. I don't think drag racing should follow the same path.

David Grubnic
Rod Fuller
Larry Dixon
Morgan Lucas

Funny Car
Eric Medlin
Tommy Johnson jr.
Gary Scelzi
Whit Bazemore

Alan

Based soley on their performances this year alone ? I would say that if you started the points over now and Morgan Lucas or Whit Bazemore wound up winning the championship, that would be a joke.

And I am a die hard Whit Bazemore fan. But you can't possibly truthfully state he should have a chance at the championship this year ?

Tommy boy just wants Pomona to be more exciting in every class like it was last year in F/C. I suppose it will rain for two weeks next year at the finals to further dilute the excitement he's tried to create. It sure has the potential to diminish the value of other races throughout the year though.

anyone else notice the press that nascar gets isn't on who wins the races anymore. It's on who has the worst crash, who fights who and who is in 10th in the chase????

I saw an add this weekend for their race. it wasn't about who would in it was who would finish 10th????? I don't get that, I thought you raced to win?

I was one of those fringe fans that the new nascar points systems was supposed to lure in. Other than being inundated with commercials I don't watch squat about it now

Based soley on their performances this year alone ? I would say that if you started the points over now and Morgan Lucas or Whit Bazemore wound up winning the championship, that would be a joke.

And I am a die hard Whit Bazemore fan. But you can't possibly truthfully state he should have a chance at the championship this year ?

This is my point exactly before. You shouldnt be able to go from 8th place in points after the 17th race of the season and then be the world champ. And Alan, none of them are a joke. I was just saying that if someone who should have finished 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th in the pts chase winds up winning it, it aint right. There not a joke, there just playing the game but the points chase is a joke.

Remember when...

... If you won the Supernationals in Ontario, you were crowned World Champion? Which, I think, was an invite only race...

I might be wrong (that C.R.S. disease might be starting to creep in.. :rolleyes: ), but wasn't that another way the #1 got designated? So that if you were lucky enough to be in the Top 8/10 (or was it 16?), you got a shot to win the Big Tamale and wear the Big One because your SoCal tune-up was on point that day...:confused:

Man, I REALLY miss Winston.....:D

Last edited:
Before I ask the following questions let me first say I do not have a problem with the proposed new format. I am not sure it's in the best interest of the sport but I will wait and see. Either way I think it helps the smaller teams way more than the larger teams. Again I am willing to support the decision to go to the new format, work with it and wait and see the results. Here are my questions (probably unanswerable but food for thought). 1. Did the NHRA make this decision based largely on the direction NASCAR went with their program? 2. What would the NHRA do if after this season or next NASCAR made the decision that the whole thing was a mistake and went back the the previous format?

Before I ask the following questions let me first say I do not have a problem with the proposed new format. I am not sure it's in the best interest of the sport but I will wait and see. Either way I think it helps the smaller teams way more than the larger teams. Again I am willing to support the decision to go to the new format, work with it and wait and see the results. Here are my questions (probably unanswerable but food for thought). 1. Did the NHRA make this decision based largely on the direction NASCAR went with their program? 2. What would the NHRA do if after this season or next NASCAR made the decision that the whole thing was a mistake and went back the the previous format?
I'm in a wait in see mode concerning NHRA's version... I hope it's successful next year, but it will take more than a 2 or 3 period to tell. I like Nascar's "Chase", but again I hope they one day increase the points that a race winner receives.

I don't think there is any doubt that NHRA is doing this because Nascar did it first & because of their success with it (I know many 'Maters have commented on their dislike of it, but overall it's been hit for the oval guys). If Nascar hadn't thought of and had success with a "playoff type" format, NHRA wouldn't be doing this right now imo. And that's not to say that there's anything wrong with NHRA following Nascar's lead.

In some was (maybe just a very few) NHRA can & should immulate successful organizations. I wish we could immulate Nascar's marketing machine more than anything else, but at this point in time that might be wishful thinking. Nascar is Nascar and it will take A LOT of work for NHRA to get close to it's popularity. Nascar's bigger than F1, I hate to say that but that's the case.

I know, I know... apples & oranges, but if you must compare, then you have to find other motorsports to compare with. Two totally different types of racing, but they have more cross over fans than say NHRA & the NFL. Maybe NHRA & open wheel have more in common...:p Most open wheel guys I know are atleast into NHRA a little bit... okay, maybe I'm reaching ---- not everyone has a passion for most forms of racing like I do I guess.

Ramble over.:) :eek:

Martin,
CRS? na...
Think the points system changes in the early 70's... I want to say around 74 or so... before, you got to race the World Finals by finishing in the top 3 or 4 in your division... and the person that won was the Champion... because with 7 divisons, we needed a play-off.... unlike today

Naz, don't you mean NASCAR is bigger than F1 in the USA?

Last edited:
I thought of something, if the Chase format is so successful in Nextel Cup, why doesn't NASCAR use it for the Busch and Craftsman Truck Series? It seems to me that if the Chase format was the resounding success that NASCAR wants all of us to believe (and that NHRA blindly followed) it would be a no brainer to institute the chase format for all levels of NASCAR. So there is something that either the teams, sponsors, TV or NASCAR themselves are not satisfied with, or it would be implemented across the board.

I waffle back and forth like a spineless politician as to whether or not I like the idea of the chase format coming to NHRA. I guess I am just going to have to wait and see if I like it next year, cuz I just can't make up my mind.

Fact: If you red light in Round 1, your car will not be seen the entire rest of the day on ESPN, no matter if you are in the playoff or not.

Fact: If you're Barry Grant, Mitch King, or Al Segrini and win every round well guess what? Yep, your car is going to be on the broadcast all day long.

There are fundamental TV coverage differences in NHRA and NASCAR. The director obviously can ignore folks in NASCAR.

The reason NASCAR created the Chase in the first place was to get some of their viewership back from the NFL (and college). Once the football season started, people began changing the channels.

................and like I said before, It will sure make for some high stakes at those last 2 races, right along with some high drama, and like it or not, EVERYONE of you will be tuned in for it, guaranteed! :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back