What if this happens at Indy next year? (1 Viewer)

Martin,
CRS? na...
Think the points system changes in the early 70's... I want to say around 74 or so... before, you got to race the World Finals by finishing in the top 3 or 4 in your division... and the person that won was the Champion... because with 7 divisons, we needed a play-off.... unlike today

Whew, that's what I thought, but I didn't know if the mind was slippin.... I do remember that the guys in NED 1 used to have to make the big hump to CA and run against the Div. 7 guys who had that Ontario tuneup nailed, but it was also cool that in the day all 7 divisions could field at least 3 Pro cars in each catagory

................and like I said before, It will sure make for some high stakes at those last 2 races, right along with some high drama, and like it or not, EVERYONE of you will be tuned in for it, guaranteed! :D

Yeah, but for me, it'll be just to watch the races... Fooey on all this points stuff!! :p

OK, The 5th through 8th in Top Fuel are
David Grubnic
Rod Fuller
Larry Dixon
Morgan Lucas

Which one of them is the joke?

Funny Car
Eric Medlin
Tommy Johnson jr.
Gary Scelzi
Whit Bazemore

Same Question? Where's the joke?

Alan

OK Ill bite........Not saying this person is a joke but just that the points system is a joke.

Morgan Lucas.......hasent had a car to speak of all season. manages to win a race befor the cut to 4 (his first win) the rest of the field has mechanical failure, tire smoke, red light you get the picture. He makes the finals on others misfortune then goes on to win the championship.

Good for him but how is that fair to the others that have one multiple times this season and had a consistant car all year.

Try explaining to your sponsor that you won 7 events and lost the championship cus you red lit during the "chase" and someone that won 1 race all season with a car that could barely get out its own way is the champ.

Its just wrong.

Martin,
CRS? na...
Think the points system changes in the early 70's... I want to say around 74 or so... before, you got to race the World Finals by finishing in the top 3 or 4 in your division... and the person that won was the Champion... because with 7 divisons, we needed a play-off.... unlike today

Whew, that's what I thought, but I didn't know if the mind was slippin.... I do remember that the guys in NED 1 used to have to make the big hump to CA and run against the Div. 7 guys who had that Ontario tuneup nailed, but it was also cool that in the day all 7 divisions could field at least 3 Pro cars in each catagory

Martin...
Before Ontario opened, the World Finals 'floated'... '69 they were in Dallas... and I still think the World Finals should be at a different track every year... not NHRA's home track... :D

In 1999 Tony Schumacher won the Championship and exactly one race, Dallas.

Alan
That was an anomaly Alan. That entire year in Top Fuel was an anomaly. Tony had the points lead after Indy, but it was pretty shaky. He was only 144 points ahead of the 8th place driver after Indy. Since then, no 8th place driver has been closer than 434 points behind number one after Indy, and the gap has been as much as 849 points behind at that point. It just doesn't make sense to me to reward a driver a shot at the championship, whose performance up to and including Indy, hasn't been championship caliber by closing the point gap as much as the new format does. JMHO.

Bob (stuck in Cedar Rapids)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back