Wayne Dupuy (1 Viewer)

Alan

Nitro Member
According to Bob Frey's column over on DRC, Wayne Dupuy is working with his brother over on Vandergriff's car.

I believe they showed that on Saturday's qualifying show. Wayne said he was not there in any official capacity, he was just there for his brother to "bounce ideas off of". Wayne also said that his family was his new priority and sounded like a man who had tired of the grind of being on the road for most of the year.

I sure hope UPS and NHRA's relationship only strengthens.
sure would like to see Bob's team break thru and consistantly run strong.

I believe they showed that on Saturday's qualifying show. Wayne said he was not there in any official capacity, he was just there for his brother to "bounce ideas off of". Wayne also said that his family was his new priority and sounded like a man who had tired of the grind of being on the road for most of the year.

You say not in an official capacity, but Frey says he has been added to the team. To me that sounds official if that is indeed the case.

Pouring over data and watching a few runs with his brother is WAY different than being the "go-to-guy" 7 days a week.

I think Wayne probably misses some of the action, and he did take off close to a month since Denver, so maybe he was just doing his brother a favor and attended the Brainerd race to see if he could help Bob V. and primarily his brother in some way. I guess we'll have to wait and see if anything official is announced, other than Bob Frey's mention of working for the UPS team. I agree that if he isn't the GO-TO guy that has to be on the road or at the shop 24x7, then it has to be a little better for the family (ie: his wife and kids). We'll have to see what pans out.

You say not in an official capacity, but Frey says he has been added to the team. To me that sounds official if that is indeed the case.

At the time the show aired, nothing was official...

As far as needing time off... I think Wayne's situation is MUCH different now being the "go-to-guy" as Doug has mentioned. I can see him still at the track on weekends doing various things that aren't nearly as consuming as being the crew cheif. That said, I don't know what his duties with the UPS team will be? Co-crew cheif, consultant, maybe eventually take the reigns from his brother? Don't know? But he has a few days, weeks to think about things & consult with his family I'm sure... I just wish him the best. Like he said on Saturday --- drag racing is really the only thing he knows how to do. He may have needed a vacation & change of scenery. ----good luck with everything Wayne.

Is it possible he just hasn't fully recovered? After all he was hurt very badly, and came back to work way too soon(IMO)

He just never seemed 100% back.

Is it possible he just hasn't fully recovered? After all he was hurt very badly, and came back to work way too soon(IMO)

He just never seemed 100% back.
I hate to say it, but I have to agree with Jim Scott. Wayne has made a miraculous recovery, but he just doesn`t seem to be the Wayne of old. And I`m sure with things being the way they are right now with Herbert (both personally and performancewise) Wayne did the right thing in leaving.

I hate to say it, but I have to agree with Jim Scott. Wayne has made a miraculous recovery, but he just doesn`t seem to be the Wayne of old. And I`m sure with things being the way they are right now with Herbert (both personally and performancewise) Wayne did the right thing in leaving.

I agree with this; in addition, I think being with Vandergriff allows Wayne to shut off during the week and tend to his personal life. This gives Wayne the best of both worlds, go to the track on the weekends and spend time with the people who are important to him during the weekdays.

It's just too bad the way he left D.H.

To leave on what seems to be bad terms. After
everything Doug did for him and his family it's too bad
he left the way he did.

And I`m sure with things being the way they are right now with Herbert (both personally and performancewise) Wayne did the right thing in leaving.

Chris,

What are you insinuating here? Is there more to the story? What is going on with Doug Herbert "personally" that would lead you to say something like this? His team was stuggling, and Wayne couldn't pull them out of it. Yeah, I've heard rumours of crew member problems or people quitting, but that's gonna happen when a team is struggling, and they don't have a long history of success like someone like Tony Schumacher and Alan Johnson had which helped them when they were losing a bunch earlier this year. Doug Herbert has always seemed to be very personable to me, and I've met him several times at the races. If he has a dark side, and most of us do, then we have to remember this "is" a business too, and he has sponsors to answer to. They expect to see a top-10 car and maybe even a top-5 car for their money and it wasn't happening this year. I liked Wayne, and I was very happy for his quick recovery, but as many of you have said, he probably came back to quick, and instead of healing physically and emotionally completely, he went right back into the daily grind, and probably thought he could "work" his way back to success. Instead it sounds like he may have alienated some of the crew, and of course we know that Doug had to ask Jim Brissette to leave because of Wayne. Things just didn't click like they had been during the latter part of last year, and I'm sure the pressure kept building for everyone, especially Wayne. I can't imagine how bad things must have been at the shop after Bristol this year, which is Doug's home track, as they qualified poorly, and then lost 1st round with a 10 second ET. Doesn't make for many happy campers.

I wish much success for Doug Herbert and for Wayne too. I wish things would have turned out differently, but they didn't. Anyone who doesn't think Doug gave 150% of his time and energy to seeing Wayne get through his bad accident and recovery, doesn't know what they are talking about. Business- wise, I can't speak for things.

Just my .02c

Kurt,

There are personal things going on with Herbert right now, that in no way would I say on here.

Kurt,

There are personal things going on with Herbert right now, that in no way would I say on here.

Okay, but then why even allude to them? Personal stuff is just that. None of our business...unless we make it our business. Sorry to bring it up. Just wondered what you were implying.

Later....

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back