Wally & 1/8 mile (1 Viewer)

Cliff

Nitro Member
Saw an old article that sez Jim Head talked with Wally parks in 1996. Parks wanted to run 1/8 mile & head was 1000'. Said they batted the ideas around for about 4 hours. That would have been interesting to hear.

I have heard that before Head wanted to shorten the distance long before they did. I am not sure if it was safety or preservation of parts

Saw an old article that sez Jim Head talked with Wally parks in 1996. Parks wanted to run 1/8 mile & head was 1000'. Said they batted the ideas around for about 4 hours. That would have been interesting to hear.
that must have been right after blaines accident?

Those 1/8th mile races can be real dangerous too! I used to race in the PSCA. They started running these goofy 8.5 class where horsepower is unlimited. They run Pro Mod type twin turbos, nitrous, blowers. They also do this with 10.5 drag radials and whatever. I have seen some crazy crashes in these goofy organizations rules. Then there is the "no prep" thing and "Redemption" They DO have the same safety regulations as NHRA and they test their reliability QUITE OFTEN! If NHRA goes to 1/8th mile, I will never go to another race, EVER! I would never run 1/8th mile and I wouldn't pay $1.00 to go watch them.

I grew up on 1/8 mile racing. Sunset Dragstrip in Mercer, PA was 1/8 mile. I didn't see longer tracks until much later. I was okay with the 8th.

All of the Outlaw Fuel Altered races are 1/8th. Half of those tracks are 1/4, like Mo-Kan. One of the best shows I have seen (on video) is the Fuel Altered VS Pro Mod deal down South. The World Fuel Altered Nationals up here in Iowa is only 1/8th as well. Besides the World Series, the WFAN is the best show I have ever been to.

Weird shit (not safe?) happens after the 1/8th...

Personally, I quit following the Big Show when Blaine died. My hero was gone...

I have seen the Fuel Altered Vs Pro Mod videos, and they are great! Would love to go to North Star Dragway where they hold that race, it's kinda between Dallas & Ft Worth. Also follow the PDRA series.

Not really a fan of 1/8 mile, but do use the local track for testing since you learn most of what you need to know with those incrementals. But I much prefer to race 1/4 mile. Would I pay to watch the Big Show on 1/8 mile? No way!

Half track, half price? :D:D:D

Last edited:
Just for yuks & grins, if the Big Show was on the 1/8 mile, I'd wanna see who runs the first "official" 300 MPH and how much faster they could go than 300.

I've been to hundreds of 1/8 mile drag racing events - some on 1/8 mile tracks and some on 1/4 mile tracks. ...even the IHRA National event in San Antonio where they ran Top Fuel to the 1/8 mile because of problems with the racing surface on the top end and shutdown area. The level of competition is the same. That's what really matters to me.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back