Vandergriff Speaks on Rivalries (1 Viewer)

So well put and I agree 100%. Love the baseball references but more importantly the Nascar references and driver identitiy.

If this has shown up already on the board, Mods feel free to combine and or delete. Here's a link to a really interesting article with Bob Vandergriff and his take on the importance of rivalries to the advancement of our sport. Good stuff, Bobby. Thanks. Drag Racing Internet Magazine - Competition Plus.com - GUEST COMMENTARY - BOB VANDERGRIFF DELIVERS

TRUST ME TERRY.... I'M DOING EVERYTHING I CAN TO HELP MR. VANDERGRIFF GET HIS OWN RIVAL for his OOPS Top Fuel Dragster!

Timmah!<---Delivering the Purple Promise Everyday... Hoping to do it at 300mph someday! 1-800-GOFEDEX;)

I think Bob makes great points.

Remember when John Force got into Lee Beard's face?

Or who can forget how Doug Herbert gained the moniker "Dougzilla?"

I'm not advocating fisticuffs, but it sure made their next matchups more interesting.

Last edited:
While I agree with a lot that Vandy said in that piece, NHRA has all but squashed any kind of so-called Harsh comments any driver has said to another driver in the way of fines! Besides, is Bob suggesting rivalry's be created, you just can't create a Rivalry without the drivers themselves doing it. However I don't want to see this sport become WWF!

yeah... We don't need fights. But a good rivalry is definitely something that would be good for the sport. I think it would attract a younger crowd that isn't real sure about Nitro. IMO, one of the best things to come to drag racing as far as attracting a bigger fan base is Pinks. Great Article!

I think Bob makes great points.

Remember when John Force got into Lee Beard's face?

Or who can forget how Doug Herbert gained the moniker "Dougzilla?"

I'm not advocating fisticuffs, but it sure made their next matchups more interesting.

...Reminds me of "Jungle" and "Brutus" staging scraps in the bleech box!

Bob Jr. is a smart dude and good businessman.
(His Pappy is no slouch either!!!):)

It is 20 years past due that NHRA starts promoting the names, people, and places rather than elapsed times, MPH's, and MOV's. Rivalries, although somewhat fabricated by media and sponsors, we prevolent during the Super Stock F/X-early Funny Car-front-engined Top Fueler days of yore. That sold tickets, merch, and sponsor product better than a record or number 1 qualifier spot. It was all about who beat who and who was talking trash on Monday.

Take a lesson from the past history of our sport since we will soon not have big numbers to sell!!!!

Right on, Bob! Luv ya, man!!!

Anyone remember the Jim Head vs Cory Mac incidents of the Mid-90's ? Can't recall the details but it got attention at the time.

Bobby V is awesome, and right on with his viewpoint. If he's teaming up with Kevin Harvick, you can expect some turmoil to be brewing!!!

Also, this photo from the other thread tops it all! :D
darkside.jpg

I won't be booing anyone.
Seems kinda cheapening. :confused:
It's one reason why I am into drag racing and not nascrap.
Like Joe said; "Don't want to see NHRA turn into WWE".

Wally had it wrong. He said the cars are the stars and that simply is not true. People are the reason that brings in fans. As was stated in the article the only person or group of people who really seem to understand this is the Force camp. Granted we have some other drivers who are getting recongnition but not at that level.

Here is something else to throw out..... Why not bring back names on the cars???? I can remember when you knew the car, driver and sponser of a car simply by the name on the side. Yeah i know marketing people don't want to give up that valuable space but what they fail to recognize that if people have a car and drive to root for, their product will also get more attention. Arising tide carries all boats.

jim

Just a note here. Alan Loder has a t shirt coming out that will be "debuted" at Sears Point (Infineon, tomato tomahto, whatever) that will be presented to Mr. Don Schumacher himself that may prove to be the answer to Hot Rod's T shirts. As long as it doesn't deteriorate into plain ol' name calling, questioning of one's family heritage, and accusations of cheating, I think rivalries can be a real draw for fans. Heck, remember how much good Dougzilla did with the fundraising aspect of the Dougzilla shirts? Hope the "rivalry" continues and grows within the bounds of good taste and reasonably good sportsmanship. Oh, and if you are interested in the shirt details, pm Alan Loder and he can fill you in. There may be just a few left, but they are going fast. (end of shameless plug)

Just a note here. Alan Loder has a t shirt coming out that will be "debuted" at Sears Point (Infineon, tomato tomahto, whatever) that will be presented to Mr. Don Schumacher himself that may prove to be the answer to Hot Rod's T shirts. As long as it doesn't deteriorate into plain ol' name calling, questioning of one's family heritage, and accusations of cheating, I think rivalries can be a real draw for fans. Heck, remember how much good Dougzilla did with the fundraising aspect of the Dougzilla shirts? Hope the "rivalry" continues and grows within the bounds of good taste and reasonably good sportsmanship. Oh, and if you are interested in the shirt details, pm Alan Loder and he can fill you in. There may be just a few left, but they are going fast. (end of shameless plug)

Shameless indeed!!:D I'm simply trying to do my part to 'stir the pot'.:D:D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back