Pedregon's take on the track length debate (1 Viewer)

Where track configurations AND lengths vary from race to race? :rolleyes: Have the rules pertaining to every part of their cars not changed over the years?

What part of their racing is so sacred that fans would stop coming in huge numbers were it changed? That the cars have four tires and the engine sits behind them?

Aren't they limited in the amount of fuel they can carry? Did fans raise hell the year they put that rule in place? To the point of leaving? :D

talk about missing the point. no they didn't leave. I'm talking about limiting the cars. That's exactly what I 'm talking about. Go ahead, limit the amount of fuel. That might work. Take away a fuel pump. Take away the blowers.
Aren't the alky dragster guys always whining about A/Fuel? Fine, A/Fuel is now top fuel.

problem solved.

And don't tell me Alan J. couldn't get an A/Fueler running smooth as silk.

talk about missing the point. no they didn't leave. I'm talking about limiting the cars. That's exactly what I 'm talking about. Go ahead, limit the amount of fuel. That might work. Take away a fuel pump. Take away the blowers.
Aren't the alky dragster guys always whining about A/Fuel? Fine, A/Fuel is now top fuel.

problem solved.

And don't tell me Alan J. couldn't get an A/Fueler running smooth as silk.

Didn't think I missed your point at all. I don't know how many different ways you could have meant it. I'm just not so sure how accurate "where fans care deeply about the technological aspect of the cars and are genuinely interested in the details of the sport," is.

Maybe those cars are to the AVERAGE FANS of them what they are to me. A bunch of bumbles bees going around a track.

Maybe you're right. Maybe their average fans are "genuinely interested in the details of the sport." Sounds like personal opinion that you're trying to use as fact when saying what drag racing should be.

Don Prudhomme gets blasted for simply having the opposite OPINION of what the average fan knows or cares about?

I'm sure it's fun to drive an 8th mile. Who cares. I doubt anyone was there to watch you.

It was on a test and tune day (9 hours for $12 at that track, I've made 15 runs in a day, nice and sore) and as we exited behind the stands, the PEOPLE in them turned around to cheer and whistle at Rex for his efforts.

He felt bad for breaking my 4 year old cheapass 1.82 Glide! I was happy it broke on him instead of me! :D What was fun was watching a guy go from mixing a clutch and throttle on alcohol cars to "TRYING" to use a transbrake and delay box. It's TOO simple! There's not enough to do! :D

Last edited:
Didn't think I missed your point at all. I don't know how many different ways you could have meant it. I'm just not so sure how accurate "where fans care deeply about the technological aspect of the cars and are genuinely interested in the details of the sport," is.

Maybe those cars are to the AVERAGE FANS of them what they are to me. A bunch of bumbles bees going around a track.

Maybe you're right. Maybe their average fans are "genuinely interested in the details of the sport." Sounds like personal opinion that you're trying to use as fact when saying what drag racing should be.

Don Prudhomme gets blasted for simply having the opposite OPINION of what the average fan knows or cares about?

What is F1 anyway?

Oh, i know, a surefire cure for insomnia:D

REX

F1 is a multinational business. 1/8 mile drag racing is a hobby. NHRA acts like a club. Why should sponsors and fans spend money on a club. The contempt for the paying fan is amazing.

That's all I 'm trying to say.

And Rex, I'm sure your life is awesome. I 'm happy with mine too believe it or not.

But there is no sport like drag racing that gets the hair on my neck standing up....so I mouth off. To me it's just not the sport I love anymore. C'est la vie.

F1 is a multinational business. 1/8 mile drag racing is a hobby. NHRA acts like a club. Why should sponsors and fans spend money on a club. The contempt for the paying fan is amazing.

That's all I 'm trying to say.

And Rex, I'm sure your life is awesome. I 'm happy with mine too believe it or not.

But there is no sport like drag racing that gets the hair on my neck standing up....so I mouth off. To me it's just not the sport I love anymore. C'est la vie.

You are not alone in your passion, it is a mistake that you make, doubting others that do not agree with you.

As far as 1/8 mile racing being a hobby?

do not be so sure about that.

there are many Pro Mod teams out there that count on eight mile facilities for their bread and butter.

Now, i own a small bidness......3-4 employees not counting myself.

there are companies much larger than mine in the US, some employing hundreds.

Am I running a business.........or only a hobby?

As far as F1 i'd as soon watch golf.

And I don't like golf.

So........Whatever floats our boats....................

REX

Did you watch nhra raceday and here the boos when they talked about 1000' racing. WOW I was surprised. Now if they only had the stones to ask fans live like that what they thought of the countdown :D

I was there, I was shocked too! the guys behind the camera just smiled, except for Paul Page who just sat back there looking clueless.

You are not alone in your passion, it is a mistake that you make, doubting others that do not agree with you.

As far as 1/8 mile racing being a hobby?

do not be so sure about that.

there are many Pro Mod teams out there that count on eight mile facilities for their bread and butter.

Now, i own a small bidness......3-4 employees not counting myself.

there are companies much larger than mine in the US, some employing hundreds.

Am I running a business.........or only a hobby?

As far as F1 i'd as soon watch golf.

And I don't like golf.

So........Whatever floats our boats....................

REX

damn you are one tough debater Rex. :cool:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back