Vandergriff Fined $20k by NHRA (1 Viewer)

Didn't watch but have read all the hoopla and I have one question. With the conditions given, couldn't a Crew Chief pulled the wire of one of the mag and only use one of the fuel pumps just to run the car down the track without needing to use all 10k horses. Would rather take my chance rolling down the track under power than trying to rotate the earth.

I ask because I don't know and I'm just a simple minded person.

I agree with Virgil Hartman with the exception, and I'm aware and respectful of his expertise, of the track conditions. It had rained all day long, water was coming up all over the starting area, the track was 69 degrees, rubber wasn't sticking to it at all (did you see Torrence throwing rubber all over the entire racing surface?), the relative humidity was high and rapidly approaching 100 percent - and had they raced 30 minutes longer, a J/SA wouldn't have made it down. An occasional pedalfest is cool but nobody wants to see Top Fuel dragsters go rounds with 8.50 elapsed times. Had the racing continued, we wouldn't have seen times return to almost normal - we would have seen enough explosions to start a war, and very likely, a crash or two. It's common knowledge that taming a nitro engine enough to run in those conditions isn't just a matter of taking weight off the clutch and a few degrees out of the timing - it's an almost impossible task, and sends the risk of carnage through the roof. Just my opinion, of course.

BOB V. fined??? yer kidding right .First when he abandons his car and it's great film for NHRA they don't fine him.
Second it is NOT an "active race track" until the next pair is fired.
Third by stopping the race, in effect they (NHRA) is agreeing with Bob that the track was unsafe.
Now you can't voice a safety concern to management????

I agree with NHRA in attempting to run the race for the fans there, but after no one could get down the track, they were
right to postpone it.
But to fine Bob for any of these things..........Ridiculous!!!!!

BOB V. fined??? yer kidding right .First when he abandons his car and it's great film for NHRA they don't fine him.
Second it is NOT an "active race track" until the next pair is fired.
Third by stopping the race, in effect they (NHRA) is agreeing with Bob that the track was unsafe.
Now you can't voice a safety concern to management????

I agree with NHRA in attempting to run the race for the fans there, but after no one could get down the track, they were
right to postpone it.
But to fine Bob for any of these things..........Ridiculous!!!!!

It's the way Bob went about it, period! There's different ways to get your point across and Bob obviously took the wrong approach.

Unless the sanctioning body calls the race, it is their "active racetrack". I am not arguing that the race should have NEVER even been started on that surface, its not BV's place to stop the race on his own and, as they said, abandon his car on the race surface and then walk 1320' and verbally attack NHRA.

Again, NHRA should be friggin ashamed that they started that race at all!

BV should be ashamed of his actions and pay his fine.

BV deserved the fine and should've gone about his reproach a bit differently. You simply can't confront those considered 'leaders' of the sanctioning body in that manner, especially in plain view of the public and ESPN television cameras (note: 'leaders' being used as a loose regard).

Having said that, I would've done the same damn thing. The Safety Safari busted their tales attempting to get the track properly prepped, but mother nature simply wasn't going to allow it. Light should've recognized this and postponed the event until Monday. If Light can't tell a track in that condition can't be properly/safely run on, he needs to find another profession. End of story.

Last edited:
$20k is essentially a rounding error, when he walked back up the track I guarantee he knew he was spending $10k .... if he didn't he's an idiot. Sometimes it's worth it, but almost everyone who does something like that knows there is a price tab. $20k was probably just to let him know that should not be done again.

BV deserved the fine and should've gone about his reproach a bit differently. You simply can't confront those considered 'leaders' of the sanctioning body in that manner, especially in plain view of the public and ESPN television cameras (note: 'leaders' being used as a loose regard)..

If he can't tke his concern to the "leader" of the sanctioning body, who should he take it to.....the girl in the ticket booth.?? :confused:

I don't know, I'm just a fan, but my feeling is, rules are made for a reason. If you break them, you're fined, simple as that, .... even if you're the almighty John Force. BV vacated his race car and SHOULD be fined. It's hard for me to say that because I'm very appreciative of Bob for putting Larry Dixon in the seat of his second dragster, although part time. Rules are rules though!! There are better ways of taking your concern to the sanctioning body than leaving your car on the track and running up to the staging area like a mad man.

I don't think that BV should be fined and here's why.

NHRA management got way to greedy running it, I am sure that the suits thought that a live night race would look great. But I am sure I saw on NHRA'S twitter feed that somebody warned them that even if had stopped raining, that dew would still be a factor.

Also I saw fans who were there that couldn't stay that late get more upset because they wanted it to be called until Monday so they could get their race day tickets refunded, but because NHRA was so intent on getting on ESPN Live with a night race, they didn't refund their tickets.

But BV should have known better, indeed most of the Pro drivers should go back to Frank Hawley's school.

Anybody remember that spot on ABC's NHRA race in Topeka's night race in 1995, where he talked about helmet visors and the new yellow one. That helps when the sun sets?

Brittany Force was the only driver I saw that wore a tinted visor.

Remember the trick glasses that some drivers used in the early 90's.

So where are the tinted and yellow visors now?

The drivers must be responsible for safety as well as NHRA.

Ironically BV's driving and behaviour might have been what Mr Light needed to tell his self not to embarrass him and NHRA even more. With his experience, he should have known better.

A real cock up all round.

Sorry I didn't read Vergil's reply properly.

I think one of main problems that teams have is that they can't/won't take enough power out of the engines to get it down a slippery race track. But for the casual fan, it looks unprofessional.

This message is being brought to you by a simple minded armchair fan!

It's the way Bob went about it, period! There's different ways to get your point across and Bob obviously took the wrong approach.
Well when dealing with his majesty Graham Light I think Bob used the only way possible to get his point across, or GL would have just blown him off like he usually does, I think they should pay Bob $20,000.00 not fine him. Just my 3 cents.
Rick

If he can't tke his concern to the "leader" of the sanctioning body, who should he take it to.....the girl in the ticket booth.?? :confused:

You apparently missed the main portion of the sentence: "...in that manner." He took the complaint to the right person, but you simply can't berate somebody of ranking like that at the starting line in front of fans, cameras, etc. (with sponsor dollars watching as well) and not expect a fine, even when dealing with a tool. Behind closed doors? Different story. NHRA would come off as a Mickey Mouse organization if they stood pat (more so than Glendora already does).

Again, I'd have done the same thing. But that doesn't mean it's right.

I believe this fine is ridiculous, completely ridiculous!! Bob got them to wake up and stop the race. The safety safari did the best they could. I am NOT blaming them. The "Officials" are just saving face. That is pretty lame for and organization "Dedicated to Safety" It was a dangerous condition that could have caused a serious wreck for even the most experienced driver. In the 50+ years since I started racing, I always anticipated moves cars would make and the best way to save whatever it did. As quick as a fuel car moves it is sometimes impossible to save even the slightest move.

What BS statements he makes. He places all of the blame on NHRA for the way they handle the safety, but has no problem staging and stabbing the pedal with 10.000 hp when he can't see anything.

He screwed up when he didn't shut the car off, and for him to now blame NHRA is ridiculous. If he really believed the crap he was spewing he would appeal the 20k. That he isn't should tell you a lot about this situation.

I have long rooted for him from an underdog position, but him acting like a victim here is wearing thin.

You apparently missed the main portion of the sentence: "...in that manner." He took the complaint to the right person, but you simply can't berate somebody of ranking like that . NHRA would come off as a Mickey Mouse organization if they stood pat (more so than Glendora already does)..
In what manner? He took a verbal complaint to the ONE person on site that could do something about Bob's safety concern.
'BERATE'...i've yet to hear any audio of the conversation. (Did I Miss it??) No one knows what, or how Bob said anything to G.L.......
For that matter we don't know how G.L. adressed Bob on his concerns either.......

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back