US Nationals Aug/Sept 2012 (1 Viewer)

I got our Tickets - Woohoo!! We are in section C 1/13 so the West Side, I don't want the sun in my face and I'll just have to suck it up in reagrds to all the walking!

Yeah Kurt it will be expensive but I'm sure it'll be all worth it - besides my sister lives in West Virginia so will have free accomodation for some of our stay!!

Ellen, what's the open houses about? I really am clueless!!

I got our Tickets - Woohoo!! We are in section C 1/13 so the West Side, I don't want the sun in my face and I'll just have to suck it up in reagrds to all the walking!

Yeah Kurt it will be expensive but I'm sure it'll be all worth it - besides my sister lives in West Virginia so will have free accomodation for some of our stay!!

Ellen, what's the open houses about? I really am clueless!!

John Force Racing and Don Schumacher Racing both had Open Houses I believe Thursday week of the races. The drivers/owners were there to sign autographs, the shops were all open to walk though and see all the cars and parts, the machinery used to make the parts, the gift shop, food to eat. The machines at Force are just awesome....they had dozens of CNC machines making parts and all the different themed car bodies were there to see.

Let me know if I can help you at all, we moved to Brownsburg where are the teams are located last Sept the week of the US Nationals.

Are you on Facebook? I have an album of pics from the 2011 ones.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1966609241774.2093167.1139207373&type=3&l=6a042a1cd2

In addition to attending the race, be sure to tour downtown Indianapolis, especially around Monument Circle.
The Indy river walk is nice as well.

Hi everyone,
I hope you don't mind me butting-in on your forum.

I'm from the UK and after too many years of wanting to go I've finally decided to attend this years US Nationals, I've even ordered the tickets so there's no turning back now! Your comments have been really useful in deciding what to do, so I was wondering, if there were any other tips you have, and/or places I should visit in the Indy area while I'm there, I'll be there for 7 days?

Thanks, Tony

I usually stayed at the Marriott by the Airport. It is a easy 15 minute (depending on traffic) drive into the track. While you are in town I would most certainly visit Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the Museum inside the track. I would also do the team facility tour on the Friday of the US Nationals in Brownsburg. If you are up for a day trip, I would drive up to Chicago and check out the attractions inside the city. There's a ton to do in Chicago.

Ginny, the Don Schumacher open house is on Fri.PM.
A car show, tour the shop, meet the drivers, they cackle a car, ect.
A great place to have lunch before heading to the track. (5 min away)

While yer in town the 500 sppedway is close. A musiem, and you can tour the track. (ran into Dom Prudhome one year)

Enjoy yer visit, please tell us all about it when you get back home.

Safe trip. :cool::D

Hi everyone,

I'm from the UK and after too many years of wanting to go I've finally decided to attend this years US Nationals, I've even ordered the tickets so there's no turning back now! Your comments have been really useful in deciding what to do, so I was wondering, if there were any other tips you have, and/or places I should visit in the Indy area while I'm there, I'll be there for 7 days?

Thanks, Tony

Tony,
It's coming up 32 years since my only Indy trip, so can't offer you up-to-date advice.
However, take sunscreen. We UK folk tend to think of Indy as fairly well north and forget it's around the same latitude as Majorca.
Just a thought.

Suggesting. Section CC on Saturday qualifying. It's near the pro pits. Lots of walking involved at Indy. Stay on the east side of the track. (West is fine, just makes for a long day if you want to visit the pro pit.)

I did that one year, never again! Looking into the Sun all afternoon gets Old quick!

As it gets closer, I will keep you guys updated on the shops that are having Open Houses. It is well worth the time, in my opinion. Brownsburg is beautiful and I love living here!

Hi everyone,

Thanks, Tony

Tony,

As others have suggested, downtown Indy has many attractions & restaurants, a fantastic zoo, Lucas Oil Stadium, Monument Circle, etc. Also downtown at Military Park that weekend is RibAmerica Fest. Some great music of all kinds and of course BBQ and drinks for a relatively affordable price.

And the shop tours that Ellen mentioned are very cool too. Close to track and while JFR and DSR are the biggest, some of the other teams open up too. Head West from track on 136 to Northfield Drive and you will see the shops and signs pointing to others.

Have fun.

I've never made it downtown, maybe someday. One thing I would suggest is getting to the track early one day. Watching the sun come over the pro pits is something to be seen. Pace yourself since it's not a sprint, but a marathon.

I've never made it downtown, maybe someday. One thing I would suggest is getting to the track early one day. Watching the sun come over the pro pits is something to be seen. Pace yourself since it's not a sprint, but a marathon.

I tried to find one of your pics from the 08 US Nationals of the pits in the early AM to show Tony how amazing it is, but the album was deleted. You should post one up :)

Mike

Dude the Slippery Noodle is the Bomb! Best Blues Bar in town!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back