UPS not coming back in 2009 (1 Viewer)

suckeez azz

Nitro Member
I work for UPS and was not expecting to read this release on our internal website:

UPS has enjoyed three years as sponsor of the Vandergriff Motorsports team.

Since 2006, UPS has been the primary sponsor of the Top Fuel dragster piloted by Bob Vandergriff, Jr. in the POWERade Drag Racing Series.

While the sponsorship has been beneficial, UPS announced today that it will not continue its role as a team sponsor in NHRA competition at the conclusion of the 2008 season. This was a tough decision following a thorough review of our sponsorship platforms.

We have enjoyed a tremendous relationship with Vandergriff Motorsports and wish Bob and the team much success in the future.

Makes one wonder who will NHRA get as there primary carrier. I know that UPS is a BIG supporter of NHRA. I always see the delivery drivers at least once at an NHRA National Event making weekend deliveries. Also, I have a strange feeling that DHL will not be back in '09 either. In my hometown of Wilmington, OH DHL has it's main hub here. DHL is pulling out of Wilmington, this is going to effect about 8,200 jobs. I will be really SHOCKED if DHL is on any race car in 2009!!!!:eek:

That's horrible for the sport. Lots of sponsors are leaving, not hearing of many new ones coming in. Let's hope that alot of NASCAR sponsors are in Charlotte next weekend and see the NHRA as a bargain compared to NASCAR. The economy and fuel costs are hitting everyone hard.

Makes one wonder who will NHRA get as there primary carrier. I know that UPS is a BIG supporter of NHRA. I always see the delivery drivers at least once at an NHRA National Event making weekend deliveries. Also, I have a strange feeling that DHL will not be back in '09 either. In my hometown of Wilmington, OH DHL has it's main hub here. DHL is pulling out of Wilmington, this is going to effect about 8,200 jobs. I will be really SHOCKED if DHL is on any race car in 2009!!!!:eek:

I bet if NHRA teams stop using UPS might make them wish they didn't make this decision. I'm guessing DHL?

Lance hit the nail on the head. Im sure these companies are somewhat happy with the exposure that they are getting, but can't afford it due to the ****ty economy. Makes you wonder if a lot of big corporations will be pulling out of NASCAR and going into the discounted sport of drag racing :rolleyes: Ratings are way up this year. I wonder when, if ever, ESPN will cancel stupid sunday night baseball and move drag racing over to the main ESPN??

DHL is leaving the USA!!!!:mad: They are COMPLETELY pulling out of EVERYTHING!!!! We are getting ready to lose 8,200 jobs in Wilmington, OH. This is going to be a HUGE IMPACT on our community. It is a very sordid MESS!!!:eek: DHL is known more for international shipping then US domestic. They are a German based company.

Makes you wonder if a lot of big corporations will be pulling out of NASCAR and going into the discounted sport of drag racing :rolleyes:

Not when they get prime-time exposure in NASCAR. NHRA - you have to send out a 20 man search party just to find it on TV buried under infomercials. That's sad!!

Wow I had just heard that this was a solid sponsorship. good grief the last 2 years have been rough on us for sponsors

Speaking of espn TOny Shoe did make the top 10 on sportscenter earlier this week

DHL is leaving the USA!!!!:mad: They are COMPLETELY pulling out of EVERYTHING!!!! We are getting ready to lose 8,200 jobs in Wilmington, OH. This is going to be a HUGE IMPACT on our community. It is a very sordid MESS!!!:eek: DHL is known more for international shipping then US domestic. They are a German based company.

I attempted to explain this in a previous thread and was told DHL is doing fine.
They are - in Europe. If there is no DHL presence in North America, there will probably no sponsorships in any racing venue, including Penske in AMLS.
If the economy continues to tank, we have only seen the beginning of bad news regarding sponsorships.

Sponsors are leaving and NHRA wants to push the energy drinks who want to sponsor out of the sport. :confused:

Hopefully the Camping World relationship is a strong as was initially perceived. Maybe they will step in and pick up Bob next year?

no marketing expert here, but over the years how many sponsors have
truely been long term with NHRA?.....automotive related, beer, tobacco.
all three may be able to say their ROI pays for itself.....but times change
(david keech's comment about the tobacco comment at BIR), and
companies evolve (miller beer reorganizing as SABMiller), and recently
CSK purchased by O'reilly.

so where does leave sponsors like rockstar, monster, vis viva, UPS and let's
include a few from recent past; McDonalds, MBNA (now Bank of America)
K&N, Mad Magazine, Snickers, Strivectin, Brut, Fruit of Loom, Jerzees,
Penthouse, Exide, MGM Grand, Jolly Rancher, WWF, WIX Filters, Century 21,
and the list goes on and on.
and the point is, do you think all these sponsors got into NHRA or any other
sports/entertainment for a 10+ year run?.....i don't think so; and it's
called brand awareness; they're in, they're out and everybody
says thank you.

and the argument that too many sponsors only sponsor events and not
cars; look no further than T. Pedregon and Q Power.....wasn't too many
years ago there was an event known as the Quaker State Northstar Nationals.

not saying it doesn't look bad rite now, and i of course know nothing
about the inside politics between racers/sponors/sanctioning body.
NHRA seems to chug along at about the same pace (sponsorwise)
for quite a few years now and i imagine it will continue to do so.
i am optimistic that there will be new sponsors to replace those leaving,
but am not foolish enough to think each new sponsor will be retained
for multiple years; and kudos to those partnerships that flourish and
are retained for many years.

regarding the topic of this thread - if UPS was making more money shipping
parts for the drag racing world than they spent on bob's TF'er, do you think they'd be pulling out?

I can only speak for what's going on in my community. One of the MAIN Hubs for DHL is in Wilmington, OH. They are paired with ABX (Airborne Express) The entire DHL operation is moving to Louisville, KY and UPS will be taking it over. Everything should be finalized in less that 8 months. There will be 8,200 jobs lost just in Wilmington, OH. Like I said before I will be SHOCKED if DHL is involved with any form of motor sports in 2009.:eek:

dhl dose more than small pack though. They did buy Exel a major freight forwarder that seems to be doing well

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back