TOP DRAGSTER (1 Viewer)

What if the class slowed to, say 6.20 or maybe 6.30. Would it make a difference? I have noticed there are still cars that get the boot cuz they ran 5 second run. So many cars that run 6.10 w/ little problem. I would hate to see the class slowed down, just my 2 cents. Really did love it when they ran on the 6.00 mark. Will be interesting to see who wins Indy.

Jim, some pretty quick and fast cars sitting in the top ten. Myself, I'd like a deadly 6.50 car just skip a race like this.

Jim, some pretty quick and fast cars sitting in the top ten. Myself, I'd like a deadly 6.50 car just skip a race like this.
Depending on where you are in the country, a deadly 6.50 car isn't going to cut it. Speaking from experience on this one...

Round 1 complete. Lotsa breakouts, 6 cars under 6.10. Ross Laris wins his race with a 6.137 - 190.59 on a 6.10 dial. Saw some runs like that & they were shuttin' off way early. Gonna be interesting.

watching Q3 alone would have been worth the price of admission. Two racers were on the bump when they staged and went #1 on their last hit. (Even though Al Kenny's run was tossed ) flipping awesome.

Regarding the current Top Dragster class, it takes a lot of driver skill and finesse to race the finish line stripe at those speeds and e.t.'s. To have a car capable of that level of performance, and do it consistently is impressive indeed!

Wouldn't you like to time travel any of the 32 qualifiers machines to the 1969 PDA race at OCIR?

If you could take the top 10 Q (T/D) at Indy this year & go back to OCIR in 1969, the T/D cars would be quicker & faster than T/F.... as long as they could hook up. Track prep back then was using VHT on the burn out & hope there is enough rubber in the mid range & top end. If I remember right, the really quick T/F cars in 1969 would be high 6.40's and 6.50's, usually 6.50's at OCIR. All front motor cars....

TF cars had never even run 6.20s until Garlits did
it at Indy in 1971, ultimately qualifying #1 with a 6.21.

I remember that. I read the LA Times and article said Garlits had run 6.21. I thought it was a misprint. Heh I heard a story that said Ed Pink wanted Garlits to run a F/C style motor, around 480 CI. Instead, Garlits came up with his own version. Most T/F cars had smaller engines at the time. Also, Garlits infamous staggered wheelbase, which probably was worth .05. Crafty Garlits......

I think the staggered wheelbase deal was part of racing before the back motor revolution. I may be wrong though.

That could be true. I know NHRA made the 2" varience rule after they found out about Garlits staggered wheelbase.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back