Top Dragster Class (1 Viewer)

jgrigz

Nitro Member
I'm really impressed with the ETs that these blown alcohol dragsters are running in the top dragster class under the TD rules. I think I saw where some are hitting the high 5.90s. Has anyone ever attempted to run a funny car under the top dragster rules? Just curious.

Why --TD can run same blowers no overdrive limits No certs that have TAD jumping thru hoops- Efi- No real restrictions other than tranny and converter- pay out sucks no mater what. The only reason they don't go faster is because of stupid rules Let the TDS grow some and come over we need more cars in tad. call me if you wish but I am not open to discussion on a web site

I'm really impressed with the ETs that these blown alcohol dragsters are running in the top dragster class under the TD rules. I think I saw where some are hitting the high 5.90s. Has anyone ever attempted to run a funny car under the top dragster rules? Just curious.

From the rule book: "Class is for dragster and open bodied altered-type vehicles only. Altereds must have open front wheels; no full fender and/or running board equipped street roadsters or funny car bodies permitted. Qualified fields with competition conducted in a dial-in E.T. format."

If you run quicker than 6.00, you are disqualified from the event!
If you run quicker than 6.10, the run is DQ'ed.

Wow, I hadn't heard about those new rules. I have friends that run a blown alcohol T/D in division 3. They routinely would dip their toe in the 5's while qualifying. I just sent a text and they said if he goes beneath 6.0 they have to pack it up and go home.

Wow, I hadn't heard about those new rules. I have friends that run a blown alcohol T/D in division 3. They routinely would dip their toe in the 5's while qualifying. I just sent a text and they said if he goes beneath 6.0 they have to pack it up and go home.

I haven't followed that particular class and didn't know that you were DQ'd from the entire event for dipping into the 5's. I assume that since most bracket racers will typically hold some that this is why they bumped the number back to 6.10?

Sean D

I understand the certification issues. I was just saying that the original max was 6-flat, and since most good bracket racers always hold a little, it would be a little unfair to send somebody home for a 5.999 on a 6-flat dial. That said, I'm assuming they bumped the DQ for the run level to 6.10 for a max dial........

Sean D

What is interesting about T/D is that you can run any type of blower, turbocharger, or nitrous, and they can all run pretty much low 6's. Have never seen a screw blower in that class, so maybe they can't run those. It is getting so competitive that would not be surprised by 6.20 bump one day.

What is interesting about T/D is that you can run any type of blower, turbocharger, or nitrous, and they can all run pretty much low 6's. Have never seen a screw blower in that class, so maybe they can't run those. It is getting so competitive that would not be surprised by 6.20 bump one day.
There are a few screw combos, but there is more safety/certification stuff that comes with them. That, combined with the higher unit cost, means it's a slightly bigger headache and significantly more expensive to run a screw. Since we don't really need the extra power they can provide, it's simpler and way cheaper to just run a roots to the same effect.

I understand the certification issues. I was just saying that the original max was 6-flat, and since most good bracket racers always hold a little, it would be a little unfair to send somebody home for a 5.999 on a 6-flat dial. That said, I'm assuming they bumped the DQ for the run level to 6.10 for a max dial........

Sean D
I had a friend that ran junior dragster and went to fast for fast class and was ask to leave facility HPT . They did let him back in the next day but was warned that if it happened again he would be band for season.

Brad, what type of combo do you run in your car? Just curious. If you don't mind, what are your views on the different superchargers that are run? Thanks!

Brad, what type of combo do you run in your car? Just curious. If you don't mind, what are your views on the different superchargers that are run? Thanks!
1471, but only a street case. Received some bad advice from a sales rep who is no longer with the company on which way to go and we haven't gotten around to upgrading yet (though that day might be coming soon at the rate performance is picking up).

What kind of views are you looking for? Since TD isn't a heads-up class, people aren't nearly as divided along power adder lines like Pro Mod. We have our preferences, but all the combos can be consistent and run the class minimum, which is all that matters. I'm certainly happy to answer anything I can, though.

Thanks Brad. I'm just curious about the different type of superchargers I see, like ProCharger, etc. They all seem to make a lot of power, so I guess it just comes down to what each team prefers. The blower you run seems to be fairly common. I see that a lot in Div 7.

Hey Brad, I have 2 questions: If everything else is equal, does a ProCharger have a performance advantage over a roots blower, or even a screw, and that's why it's not allowed in classes like TAD or even AA/AM in Comp?
My other question is why has the ProCharger become so popular in TD, is it a lot easier to maintain than traditional blowers?

Thanks Brad. I'm just curious about the different type of superchargers I see, like ProCharger, etc. They all seem to make a lot of power, so I guess it just comes down to what each team prefers. The blower you run seems to be fairly common. I see that a lot in Div 7.
Centrifugal superchargers have really blown up in the last few years. They make a lot of boost while having a low rotating mass, so they don't rob power from the crank like an above-manifold blower. The problem with them is that the moving parts move VERY fast, so failure isn't uncommon. I've seen a few instances of someone breaking a ProCharger, but I can't say I've seen anyone break a roots blower that wasn't triggered by something else (we break plenty of other things, though). Personally, I'd love to get a ProCharger/Vortech with EFI setup, but that's extremely pricey. Maybe when I win the lottery.

Turbos are their own monster. Racers are starting to reign them in, but I would never want to deal with them on the starting line. There will undoubtedly be more of them in the future, but I don't think they will have the popularity boom that their crank-driven counterparts have. Now that I've said that, it's going to be the power adder of choice in 5 years.

Of course, nitrous is tried-and-true and has its own advantages and weaknesses. I know very little about it, so I'll defer to the experts there.

Hey Brad, I have 2 questions: If everything else is equal, does a ProCharger have a performance advantage over a roots blower, or even a screw, and that's why it's not allowed in classes like TAD or even AA/AM in Comp?
My other question is why has the ProCharger become so popular in TD, is it a lot easier to maintain than traditional blowers?
I sent my reply to Cliff right as I got a notification for your comment. I think I partially answered it there, but to add:
For heads-up classes, the dynamic is completely different. Anytime something new is introduced, it takes a lot of effort to make proper parity. Keeping current combos even is enough of a hassle, and even worse once they have to factor in an unproven setup. I think we'd have seen a top alcohol turbo car long before now if there was any willingness to add a new combo, but I'm not really in tune with those classes. In Comp, I remember Chuck Haubiel putting together a ProCharger combo, but it seemed short-lived and I'm not sure what came of it.

I'm honestly not sure how much of the current upward trend is because of a legitimate advantage and how much is just a fad. It's definitely not easier to maintain, because maintenance on a roots blower is pretty minimal. It's easier for those who have to drive cars to the lanes because they don't have strips to wear down and in general operate more efficiently. Like I mentioned above, since they don't rob nearly as much power from the crank, you don't have to have as high of a base power to produce the same net power, so that's a plus. It's certainly possible that the centrifugal design is simply better and eventually, the roots and screw types will phase out. It's way too early to tell, though.

Hey guys put the motor in front and come over to Nostalgia. The A-Fuel class runs blown alcohol or injested Nitro. The real fast guys can run 5.95, average probably is 6.10 to 6.20 and it a heads up class . The rules are staying at 6.00 safety stuff so far. Drivers/Owners also have a say on some of the performance rules, fuel punps, weight etc.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back