Funny Cars/Top Dragster (1 Viewer)

jgrigz

Nitro Member
This is a question for everyone who is up on the rules. Would an alcohol funny car built to TD engine rules be competitive in the top dragster class? I was thinking along the lines of the funny cars who run on the Great Lakes Funny Car Association. Would they run in their own class? It would be great to see a Top Dragster, Top Funny Car show at the local track. They are running as fast as the top alcohol cars did 10 or so years ago and we loved it. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I dunno if a F/C body is legal in T/D, but if you could do that and run 6.20's, you would be very competitive. You can always take the body off and run with an altered body, which is legal in T/D.

A Funny Car can't compete in Top Dragster. However, if it had an altered body - it would be awesome. There are a few guys that have blown gas/alcohol altered's that run in NHRA Top Dragster. In fact, my homie Joe Morrison is finishing up a blown Hemi to put in his 48' Fiat for match racing and to run in Top Dragster - when he's not driving for the Leverich family.

I'm just thinking it would be great to have an affordable alcohol funny car class. If there was a separate class for funny cars to run under TD rules there could be some great local shows. I've been to some Great Lakes Funny Car Assn. shows and really enjoyed them. To see a combination of that and Top Dragster in a show would be a lot of fun.

This is a question for everyone who is up on the rules. Would an alcohol funny car built to TD engine rules be competitive in the top dragster class? I was thinking along the lines of the funny cars who run on the Great Lakes Funny Car Association. Would they run in their own class? It would be great to see a Top Dragster, Top Funny Car show at the local track. They are running as fast as the top alcohol cars did 10 or so years ago and we loved it. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
There are some instances where a funny car can compete in TD. A couple of them ran it at the World Series of Pro Mod (including the #1 qualifier). However, even if the rules became more inclusive, they would likely never catch on. Funny cars are poorly suited to bracket racing due to several factors and would be at a pretty significant disadvantage to the dragsters (more so than altereds, which already aren't a popular option).

Also, I don't know why current TAFC engines wouldn't be legal in TD. We're allowed to run screws, but most simply don't go that route. Granted, I don't know all the details for that combo, so it's possible that they have some class-specific parts that don't translate, but where the engine is concerned, I think they would just have to slow them down. What would get most of them is the transmission, because TD has to use a torque converter.

Todd Bruce ran this awesome machine in Brainerd. I had the chance to watch him run quite a bit. I must admit while calling first round action I was stunned when he ran DEAD ON with a 1 taking the win. Super cool car.
C2F3BCBF-2A02-49D7-BC39-9A60C80F28EE.jpeg

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back