Rebirth of Pro Comp Begins in Medford Oregon (1 Viewer)

rocketman

Nitro Member
Top Comp and Top Dragster is dandy for the Super Comp and electonics crowd but it's starting to get a little boring out there for the rest of us. Well, this Saturday night in Medford Oregon we hope to bring back a class that was exciting where you could race a blown car on a shoe string: PRO COMP.

Pro Comp is made up of blown alcohol dragsters, funny cars and injected nitro cars. It was finally split in two in 1981 and lead to TAD and TA FC.
Thats all good but there's still some low buck alky cars that can't afford to run in the TA classes. So, myself (with the Rocketeer blown alcohol dragster) and Brent Jones of Montana (blown alcohol funny car) are going to face off in a best of three match race. We hope this will be the ground breaking for a new Pro Comp program here in the northwest.

Go to www.capracing.com for more on this race.

Good luck Rich. I remember Pro Comp as a kid and I loved that category with all of it's variety. Some of the coolest cars ever.

Talk about segregation, another class I could be a part of, but they pull that "Supercharger only" crap again.
I think I aughta quit racing.
Anyone want to buy a funny car operation?

I enjoyed competing in Pro Comp, the variety of car types and engines was cool. I was disappointed when IHRA dropped the class at the end of the 1979 season. That took six National events away (Southeast) that NHRA Division II racers could attend.

I hope you get something started out there.

Good Luck, Rich. Unless they prep the track better than they usually do of late, you're going to need it! Sorry to say, the management of the facility if sorely lacking. At least he has done some advertising for this race. Besides you guys, though, he's having nitro harleys (yawn). I'll be over at the dirt track next door.....

Pat I was hoping you would be there! I figured some AA FUEL ALTEREDS would bring you out! Thanks for the heads up though I'll talk to Jim about it when I get down there.

Rich

Pro Comp died because the FC's couldn't run with the Dragsters!

That was more the case if it was a marginal track at a Div Points race. Even 3-4 years after the classes were divided, the top performers in each class were ~equal. Even if the TAFCs gave up .03-.05, they made up for match racing. A major reason the split was done was so the alky cars could healine the Division events (the Pro class were dropped in 81 at the Division level). The promise of 500" engines for both never came to pass.

Last edited:
The original Pro-Comp class was really cool because of the varity of cars. Funnys and dragsters but they also had Altereds. I would love to see a class where the low buck guys could run and that includes injected nitro funnies and altereds. Who knows if enough of these cars show up it could become an affordable series for tracks.

jim

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back